Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #5081
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I realllly enjoyed that line in the final game of 2020-22. They were snakebitten but deserved a real shot
Think I've said it before, Lucic gains an extra step playing with kids
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #5082
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cap-hit aside, Looch makes everyone on the team play bigger and with more confidence. Nice to have a nuclear deterrent.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:19 PM   #5083
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Would be nice if Phillips got a look with Ruzicka and Lucic. You don't need to have low-upside vets getting smoked at both ends on the fourth line. The best the Flames' fourth line has looked in recent memory was when it had Derek Ryan as the lone veteran between Mangiapane and Hathaway. Might as well see if you can recapture that magic.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:24 PM   #5084
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Cap-hit aside, Looch makes everyone on the team play bigger and with more confidence. Nice to have a nuclear deterrent.
And while Zadorov is also perfectly willing to drop the gloves and thats handy too, there is no substitute for having the the reigning heavy weight champ on your team. The last guy any defenseman wants to see coming into his corner and the last guy you want glaring at you if your on the other team is Lucic.

He's enjoyed a bit of a renaissance in Calgary and is clearly a team leader. Hopefully Sutter does kick him off the ice for a few games here and there. He did run out of gas in the playoffs.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:24 PM   #5085
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Looch is staying, I kind of hope he re-signs with the Flames at a much more palatable cap hit.

No rush though, maybe see what the season brings I guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:27 PM   #5086
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Would be nice if Phillips got a look with Ruzicka and Lucic. You don't need to have low-upside vets getting smoked at both ends on the fourth line. The best the Flames' fourth line has looked in recent memory was when it had Derek Ryan as the lone veteran between Mangiapane and Hathaway. Might as well see if you can recapture that magic.
Would love it too. I think the RW spot will be Lewis’ once again though.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:28 PM   #5087
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

A Lucic–Lewis–Rooney line might get outscored 2:1 at five-on-five.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:45 PM   #5088
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts10 View Post
I was at that game. It was glorious.
As was I. Fantastic.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #5089
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would rather see him get a look at least in the middle-six. He's an offensive player, and not a checker, so I would rather see him put in a position where his skillset can make a dent.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:53 PM   #5090
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That was what a lot of people said about Mangiapane on the fourth line at the time ... but a fast line that is strong in transition and peppers the opponents with shots can do just as much, if not more, to wear opponents down than a line with little offence and speed that exists to play basic physical dump-and-chase hockey.

The Flames went with the veteran approach on the fourth line last season and it was easily the weakest point on the roster.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #5091
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, it's all moot anyway, as I don't think he'll get a sniff under Sutter.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:05 PM   #5092
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No chance. Lewis will play 82 games next year, Phillips will be lucky to get 5, if any at all. If that's the personnel Darryl needs to get this team to another division title, then great. But I don't see why the fourth line needs to have three of the exact same type of player. I could really see it being an issue this year as Lewis and Lucic continue to lose steps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:14 PM   #5093
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I’m not as pessimistic. I think Phillips will force the brasses hands at some point and a chance will present itself whether that be through injury or through promotion. With the Wranglers being in Calgary and Phillips most likely picking up where he left off it might be harder to ignore a Calgary kid making a push; I think too Phillips is every bit a Sutter player as anyone, he plays a determined game, isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas once in the ozone and is a constant puck hound imploring the checking style Sutter loves with relative success. Yes he’s diminutive but he plays bigger than his size indicates and he’s been a consummate professional in his time here. Competition is deep there’s no doubts about but I’m still confident of Phillips abilities and he’s proven the doubters wrong time and again, here’s to one last time!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #5094
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
And while Zadorov is also perfectly willing to drop the gloves .....
He fights about once a year, including last year. The same number as Weegar and Hanifin.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #5095
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He fights about once a year, including last year. The same number as Weegar and Hanifin.
I’m sure that has more to do with having less opponents interested in fighting him, than Zadorov not willing to dance.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #5096
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think a lot less people are willing to fight him vs. the likes of Weegar and Hanifin.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #5097
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m sure that has more to do with having less opponents interested in fighting him, than Zadorov not willing to dance.
But he's never been someone to fight. He hits hard, yes, but doesn't attempt to engage in fights. And he's not a particular good fighter.

Lucic looks for fights, when the time is right. I would expect many opponents aren't that interested in fighting him, yet they do.

If Big Z was looking to fight, there would be plenty of players willing to engage him.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #5098
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I won't pass judgement on Rooney, as I don't know his game, but it does seem that he will be penciled in on the 4th line, given his contract. Lucic is pretty much a given as well. The third on that line will need to bring some element of speed, me thinks.

I give you, Walker Duehr for your consideration.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM   #5099
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1557029413254053888

Doesn't sound like there has been an agreement between them. Probably torn deciding between $ or winning.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #5100
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 7 years half of that is far more frightening than the $7M half. Would not want to go that long with a Kadri contract.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: