Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:
Default Budget wedding photographers..I Need one.

My Fiance and I are getting married Sept.3 and still need to find a photographer.

If anyone knows of someone who takes nice, classic photos for a reasonable price, please let me know.

PM or respond here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Neeper has a thread over in the CP power ring.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=9567
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neeper isn't what I'd consider a "budget" photographer...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Guest1

We used Joining Hearts Studio 7 years ago... Not sure if they're still "reasonably priced" but back then they were the best deal and we got to keep the negatives (amazing that there weren't DSLR's around)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pm'd (shortly)
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://abigaildavid.com

Abby's a friend of mine, and a very good photographer to boot. Check out her site or give her a call.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best way to get a good deal and quality is to try to find an ACAD photo student. They are usually pretty good (and considering they are taking part in a serious 4 year degree, will mostly likely be better than most wedding photographers anyway), but are not charging professional prices just yet. Get em while they don't know what they're worth.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The best way to get a good deal and quality is to try to find an ACAD photo student. They are usually pretty good (and considering they are taking part in a serious 4 year degree, will mostly likely be better than most wedding photographers anyway), but are not charging professional prices just yet. Get em while they don't know what they're worth.
Chances are they won't be better than most wedding photographers. Maybe most people that call themselves wedding photographers, but definitely not better than most people who actually do it for a living.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Chances are they won't be better than most wedding photographers. Maybe most people that call themselves wedding photographers, but definitely not better than most people who actually do it for a living.
I just went through the whole process of finding a wedding photographer, and it was ridiculous how much crap I ran across (and I say this as an Art Director who works with photographers and creatives for a living...). So many cheesy suburban moms and weekend warriors with terrible taste....and a lot of them charging ridiculously high prices for what you get. $5k for a book full of terrible soft-focus effects? No thanks.

Wedding photographers make great money, but aren't always the most respected in the industry, so you have to look around to find the right person.....just because someone calls themselves a pro doesn't mean they are necessarily good. A good 3rd/4th year student from ACAD will most likely have a solid trained eye regardless of what they shoot, whether they have the experience yet or not with weddings. Where they might fall short is the logistics of it all....that is something only experience brings. But that's the risk if you want to go budget.

Myself, I actually ended up going with a graphic designer acquaintance who is working his way into the industry.....he has a few weddings under his belt, has a great visual eye, and is charging 1/2 the price of most so-called professionals. I thought his work was clearly the best out of anyone else I met with. In a couple of years he will be charging quite a bit more....but right now, he's mostly running on talent and ambition. If affordability is what the OP is looking for, I would look into something similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Knut

Exp:

Sell your left kidney and get Neeper. My family and friends still rave about his work.

Honestly, this is going to serve as your reminder of your big day in the future and you should not cheap out on this.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just went through the whole process of finding a wedding photographer, and it was ridiculous how much crap I ran across (and I say this as an Art Director who works with photographers and creatives for a living...). So many cheesy suburban moms and weekend warriors with terrible taste....and a lot of them charging ridiculously high prices for what you get. $5k for a book full of terrible soft-focus effects? No thanks.

Wedding photographers make great money, but aren't always the most respected in the industry, so you have to look around to find the right person.....just because someone calls themselves a pro doesn't mean they are necessarily good. A good 3rd/4th year student from ACAD will most likely have a solid trained eye regardless of what they shoot, whether they have the experience yet or not with weddings. Where they might fall short is the logistics of it all....that is something only experience brings. But that's the risk if you want to go budget.

Myself, I actually ended up going with a graphic designer acquaintance who is working his way into the industry.....he has a few weddings under his belt, has a great visual eye, and is charging 1/2 the price of most so-called professionals. I thought his work was clearly the best out of anyone else I met with. In a couple of years he will be charging quite a bit more....but right now, he's mostly running on talent and ambition. If affordability is what the OP is looking for, I would look into something similar.
Fair enough. I mostly just assume that somebody who claims to be a pro, would actually have the skills and conduct business like one but I haven't looked extensively for photographers so I wouldn't really know. You touched on what I was getting at with the logistics, but I suppose that doesn't have to be the be-all-end-all.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Sell your left kidney and get Neeper. My family and friends still rave about his work.

Honestly, this is going to serve as your reminder of your big day in the future and you should not cheap out on this.
Neeper is awesome. We just had him out to shoot our wedding near Vernon last weekend. His creativity, enthusiasm, and attention to detail produces some great work. Haven't seen the wedding photos yet but the guestbook he produced from the engagement shoot was top notch.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Great feedback and insight! Do you by chance have a way i may contact this person or could you maybe PM an idea of what they charged you and a glimpse of what they are capapble of?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Thanks for all the info everyone. Those who PM'd me, I will get back to shortly.

Please keep the recommendations coming!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Along with some of the other advice, I'd suggest asking the person you are interested in choosing to show you some of their previous wedding work. If you like what you see, and what 'that style' of picture set, then you are all set. If you see their previous work and don't like it...you probably won't like what they will do for you.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Great feedback and insight! Do you by chance have a way i may contact this person or could you maybe PM an idea of what they charged you and a glimpse of what they are capapble of?
Unfortunately, unless you're holding your wedding in the NYC area, I'm not sure he would be of much help to you.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
http://abigaildavid.com

Abby's a friend of mine, and a very good photographer to boot. Check out her site or give her a call.
My fiancé and I hired them for my wedding in June next year. I'm really impressed with their photos and the price considering the talent her and Dave have.

They were really great to meet as well. My fiancé and I are excited to work with them.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post

We just had Neeper shoot our family and the shots turned out much better than we anticipated. He's worth looking into if nothing else.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

We tried to save money on a photographer for our wedding. We got a friend's friend who does this kind of thing on weekends to follow us around at the ceremony and the reception. In between the ceremony and the reception, we splurged for a real photographer and booked time in his studio because we wanted a backup plan in case of inclement weather.

All we have now are those studio pictures. The other photographer f##ked up the other pictures. The negatives were over exposed and otherwise ruined to the point that every place we took them to to be developed told us it was hopeless. To top it off, the guy claimed he had a half dozen rolls of unspoiled pictures that he would give us for an additional price. He held our GD wedding photos hostage!

In the end, I firmly believe you get what you pay for. You need to do your homework when picking a photographer. If you're prepared to cut corners and can live with the possibility of not having great photos of your wedding, then by all means take a chance and hire a "budget" photographer.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.perspectiveye.com/

Gabe is a great guy and does some amazing work.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post: