Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #21
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great news they are charging the parents, but grand scheme of things it changes nothing, there will be another shooting next week.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Great news they are charging the parents, but grand scheme of things it changes nothing, there will be another shooting next week.
Next week? You realize that the US averages 2 mass shootings (4 or more victims, excluding the shooter) per DAY, right?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:12 AM   #23
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Parents have been found & arrested.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ct/8865574002/
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #24
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've been caught
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 AM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ditch their messed-up kid and make a run for the border. Parents of the Year.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #26
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
You know, given the pervasiveness of this attitude, and with the recent Rittenhouse verdict, I wonder.

If it became a trend that the parents of these victims began to bring guns of their own to the homes of the parents of shooters, and began to murder them, what would be the reaction?

Because surely if you can stand your ground when walking the streets with a rifle, you can make the argument that it’s unreasonable to stand and accept the murder of your child without using lethal force in response.

The old “yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell” ploy.

Would that do anything but sanctify vengeance and vigilantism? Or does that already basically exist?

Obviously I’m not advocating it, though I am surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:36 AM   #27
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Crumbleys were arrested on National Cookie Day.

Just thought I'd point that out.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 02:06 AM   #28
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Next week? You realize that the US averages 2 mass shootings (4 or more victims, excluding the shooter) per DAY, right?
Oh I meant school shootings, just mass shootings are pretty much every day I know.
Want to be outraged but I can’t really see any significant changes coming
Old 12-04-2021, 02:09 AM   #29
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You know, given the pervasiveness of this attitude, and with the recent Rittenhouse verdict, I wonder.

If it became a trend that the parents of these victims began to bring guns of their own to the homes of the parents of shooters, and began to murder them, what would be the reaction?

Because surely if you can stand your ground when walking the streets with a rifle, you can make the argument that it’s unreasonable to stand and accept the murder of your child without using lethal force in response.

The old “yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell” ploy.

Would that do anything but sanctify vengeance and vigilantism? Or does that already basically exist?

Obviously I’m not advocating it, though I am surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
Fairly sure someone will up the stakes in the next year or so, everyone will demand change for a few days and it’ll just be forgotten within a week or two.
Rinse and repeat
Old 12-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #30
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Crumbleys were arrested on National Cookie Day.

Just thought I'd point that out.
https://tenor.com/bgArm.gif
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #31
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yikes. This isn't even a bad, "Kid stole my gun." It was straight up negligent gifting him a gun, not getting him psychological help when it seemed obvious he needed it and overall different levels of just trying to bury the issue/concerns vs address it head on when it was brought to their attention. Almost half a dozen major red flags in the few days leading up to the shooting? That's a scary level of negligence.

I can see why they're being charged. I don't think any other shooter has been remotely close in having the parents have knowledge of issues and refuse to address them.
I guess I’m not entirely sure how to bring this up, because I’m not defending the parents in any way! But, the school administration who saw these red flags also just let the kid return to class?! That’s almost as unbelievable as some of the other things that happened. Could there be a more glaring example of dereliction of duty?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #32
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Parents have been found & arrested.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ct/8865574002/
What a bunch of morons. Let’s just tack on a few more charges…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess I’m not entirely sure how to bring this up, because I’m not defending the parents in any way! But, the school administration who saw these red flags also just let the kid return to class?! That’s almost as unbelievable as some of the other things that happened. Could there be a more glaring example of dereliction of duty?
He didn’t actually do anything that would have prevented him from attending classes. What we’re they supposed to do? Suspend him for drawing a scary picture?

They notified the parents several times and brought them in for a meeting to discuss what was happening. How is that dereliction of duty?

It only seems insane because he actually had a gun. And the parents are the ones who provided that gun and treated the whole things as no big deal.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
He didn’t actually do anything that would have prevented him from attending classes. What we’re they supposed to do? Suspend him for drawing a scary picture?

They notified the parents several times and brought them in for a meeting to discuss what was happening. How is that dereliction of duty?

It only seems insane because he actually had a gun. And the parents are the ones who provided that gun and treated the whole things as no big deal.
Well the school knew about the ammunition search as well as the “scary picture”. Pretty clearly they ought to have taken more action.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #35
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well the school knew about the ammunition search as well as the “scary picture”. Pretty clearly they ought to have taken more action.
Right, in which they responded by calling in the parents and having them agree to therapy within 48 hours. Had a gun not already been present in the situation, this would have been the appropriate response.

You can’t suspend a kid for needing therapy.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #36
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

They should have suspended the kid for having ammunition on school grounds.

And called the cops on him.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
They should have suspended the kid for having ammunition on school grounds.

And called the cops on him.
Where are you seeing he had ammo on school grounds?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #38
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Right, in which they responded by calling in the parents and having them agree to therapy within 48 hours. Had a gun not already been present in the situation, this would have been the appropriate response.

You can’t suspend a kid for needing therapy.
Well the school can suspend a kid for all kinds of things. My son was suspended in grade six for a day and half for swearing! (Which was both hilarious and annoying, but that’s a whole other topic).

The thing is, it’s one thing to say the parents are responsible here because they didn’t do enough. The day before, the kid is searching for ammunition and his teacher catches him and has concerns. Between that and the picture, it’s a significant red flag. But the school takes no real action. They tell the parents and say he needs counselling, and just leave it there. So, let’s say they book an appointment for Dec 2…good enough? If my children were in that school, I’d argue that it was nowhere near good enough!

The school has a pretty obvious duty to ensure the safety of the other students and staff in their facility. It’s pretty obvious that they failed in that duty, despite warning signs they initially saw.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #39
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well the school can suspend a kid for all kinds of things. My son was suspended in grade six for a day and half for swearing! (Which was both hilarious and annoying, but that’s a whole other topic).

The thing is, it’s one thing to say the parents are responsible here because they didn’t do enough. The day before, the kid is searching for ammunition and his teacher catches him and has concerns. Between that and the picture, it’s a significant red flag. But the school takes no real action. They tell the parents and say he needs counselling, and just leave it there. So, let’s say they book an appointment for Dec 2…good enough? If my children were in that school, I’d argue that it was nowhere near good enough!

The school has a pretty obvious duty to ensure the safety of the other students and staff in their facility. It’s pretty obvious that they failed in that duty, despite warning signs they initially saw.
Of course it was good enough. You’re viewing this with the benefit of hindsight.

Saying the school takes no real action when they bring the parents in for a discussion within 24 hours is ridiculous, to me. And while you say it doesn’t, it only serves to alleviate the responsibility of the parents who bought the gun, treated the situation like a joke, argued against the idea of him being sent home, and did not inform the school they had purchased a gun for him and made no effort to locate the gun prior to the shooting.

There is a reason the parents are being charged and the school is not. The school might have failed by virtue of a school shooting occurring, which is a failure in any sense, but to suggest they took no real action while the parents simply “didn’t do enough” is asinine. That’s a full on favouring of the parents.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #40
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Where are you seeing he had ammo on school grounds?
Sorry, it looks like they caught him searching for ammo on his phone. I think that should be suspendable, pending further review.

Quote:
The day before the shooting, an Oxford High School teacher reported Ethan Crumbley, a sophomore at the school, after the teacher spotted him using his phone to search for ammunition, the prosecutor said.
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/03/10611...oxford-charged
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote