Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #1201
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468251022414221314
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #1202
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If Max crashes into Lewis(and no fastest lap points), Max wins.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-...-season-finale

That'd be a disastrous outcome for F1, and if he does it on purpose, I don't see how it doesn't end up looking like a total clown show.
Didn’t they vacate Schumacher’s results when he did this in 97? Jacques finished the race but I think they kicked Michael out of the championship anyways. I’m too lazy to google it.

I’d be shocked if they didn’t find a way to reprimand Max if he does that.

Which reminds me, I legit lol’d when Di Resta said on the broadcast there’s a zero % Max does anything dirty because no one wants to win that way. Like #### dude, either you’re saying that because sky told you to or you’re delirious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Come Sunday, I predict Max will knock both he and Lewis from the race - but not before Lewis has set fastest lap. Perez will then pit unnecessarily from 1st place for new softs (to set a new fastest time), and Bottas will chase him down trying to knock him out, demolition derby style.
Or something
I’d love to see this happen except it’s one of the back markers who swerves and knocks out Max when he’s passing with blue flags as sweet justice. Let them settle it on the track alright.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-07-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #1203
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Didn’t they vacate Schumacher’s results when he did this in 97? Jacques finished the race but I think they kicked Michael out of the championship anyways. I’m too lazy to google it.

Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #1204
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come Sunday, I predict Max will knock both he and Lewis from the race - but not before Lewis has set fastest lap. Perez will then pit unnecessarily from 1st place for new softs (to set a new fastest time), and Bottas will chase him down trying to knock him out, demolition derby style.
Or something
You have to finish in the top 10 to get the point.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #1205
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankly I'm still amazed you can brake check in F1 and get a time penalty that doesn't have any affect. Like, if I'm making safety rules, brake checking would be #1 for getting tossed from the championship, or a race penalty, or a 10 place grid drop next race. I dunno, something, anything with actual consequence.

These steward decisions are so bad this year, setting terrible precedent. It's really soured the season for me. I don't ever remember so many like this. Spa didn't even hold a race, yet they somehow decided half points were cool. What a joke.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #1206
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I’d be shocked if they didn’t find a way to reprimand Max if he does that.

Which reminds me, I legit lol’d when Di Resta said on the broadcast there’s a zero % Max does anything dirty because no one wants to win that way. Like #### dude, either you’re saying that because sky told you to or you’re delirious.

I’d love to see this happen except it’s one of the back markers who swerves and knocks out Max when he’s passing with blue flags as sweet justice. Let them settle it on the track alright.
Yes. Better.
Maybe best would be that above (and no fastest lap) but Mercedes puts car back together after Lewis limps around to pit, rejoining the race a lap down in 18th and then watching him weave through the field, passing Ocon for 10th down the final straight, and finishing the GP with a single championship point. Lol
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #1207
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468130704001323009

Huh, it's almost like he's a dangerous driver who hasn't learned anything in 5 years.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #1208
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

He really like to drive into the corner hot and overshoot the apex forcing the outside driver to let off and lose momentum. Your choice is let off or he runs into you. Same thing when he took Hamilton and Ocon 3 wide last race.

I keep saying he's got serious talent but moves like that aren't talent they are just bullying your way through.

He'd probably be a lot of fun to watch in NASCAR.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #1209
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
These steward decisions are so bad this year, setting terrible precedent. It's really soured the season for me. I don't ever remember so many like this. Spa didn't even hold a race, yet they somehow decided half points were cool. What a joke.
I really think they need to have a couple teams of stewards that travel to the races. Have it so that Team A works one race, Team B works the next, then back to A. Bring some consistency and process to it, with a team who has the time and experience to truly learn the rule set Formula 1 has set forward.

The thing is, I'm not sure it'll happen. I'm not sure Formula 1 really wants the consistency, as drama drives views, especially in the US. I don't think the teams want it, because I don't think they truthfully want the consistency. Aside from the brake check, which was utter garbage, all drivers stretch the boudaries at some point. If you institute consistency, you remove a portion of the drama, and you ensure your driver is going to get penalized if they attempt to operate outside those boundaries.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #1210
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're going to get some sneak peaks at the 22 cars this weekend I think.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #1211
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or something
You only get a fastest lap point if you finish top 10. I don't think there's any scenario where fastest lap comes into play...One in P10 + FL and the other P9 makes a tie that Max still wins.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #1212
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.formula1points.com/seaso...ression/2021/8

It is interesting to look at past point systems.

Max got 7 points in sprint races to LH's 2.

Lewis got 6 pts from fast lap to Max's 4pts (though Max had fl at one race and was outside top 10).

So the hokey points kinda cancel each other out.

Lewis would have a 150-149 lead in the previous 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1
Max leads 133-129 with 10-6-4-3-2-1

Max also leads in the previous three systems which are before my time...

I think Max outqualified Hamilton (so he'd have a lead if they gave a point for fastest qualifier), but it's confusing with the stupid sprint terminology. Since they've added some gimmicky points, I wouldn't be opposed to adding more to qualifying...1 pt each for fastest in Q1, Q2, and Q3.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #1213
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

@powderjunkie the dumbest points of this season were from the Spa non-race. That was 5pt swing to Max. I'm ok with the fastest lap and sprint qualy points...but those Spa ones are idiotic.

@woob Do you know how F1 picks stewards and race control staff? Are they volunteers like the track workers?
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #1214
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
@powderjunkie the dumbest points of this season were from the Spa non-race. That was 5pt swing to Max. I'm ok with the fastest lap and sprint qualy points...but those Spa ones are idiotic.

@woob Do you know how F1 picks stewards and race control staff? Are they volunteers like the track workers?
I find it hard to get fussed about Spa compared to the 25 point swing at Silverstone and Hamilton's lucky unlapping at Imola. It all comes out in the wash

FIA race control staff are permanent...a bit of a failure in succession planning relying so heavily on Charlie Whiting and Herbie Blash for so many years. I think Masi is fine, and I love hearing the radio, but it definitely undermines him. Plenty of stupidity happened under the old regime, too.

Stewards on the other hand...https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1...00572/6500572/

The lack of transparency and inconsistency/rule ambiguity has been an issue forever.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #1215
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to miss Kimi

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468129404559765511
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #1216
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 03:36 AM   #1217
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
He really like to drive into the corner hot and overshoot the apex forcing the outside driver to let off and lose momentum. Your choice is let off or he runs into you. Same thing when he took Hamilton and Ocon 3 wide last race.

I keep saying he's got serious talent but moves like that aren't talent they are just bullying your way through.

He'd probably be a lot of fun to watch in NASCAR.
The FIA were asking for this when they let Hamilton get away with Silverstone. Many of us called it back then.

At any rate, they have let champion leaders do this regularly. Schumi, Senna, Hamilton has driver many people off the road. Now Max.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #1218
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...is_final_race/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #1219
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1468896681890807810

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #1220
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I find it hard to get fussed about Spa compared to the 25 point swing at Silverstone and Hamilton's lucky unlapping at Imola. It all comes out in the wash

FIA race control staff are permanent...a bit of a failure in succession planning relying so heavily on Charlie Whiting and Herbie Blash for so many years. I think Masi is fine, and I love hearing the radio, but it definitely undermines him. Plenty of stupidity happened under the old regime, too.

Stewards on the other hand...https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1...00572/6500572/

The lack of transparency and inconsistency/rule ambiguity has been an issue forever.
You find it hard to get fussed that a 2 lap race 'completed' entirely under yellow is the win that separates these two?
If, and I hope it won't, but if that win determines the championship it is a travesty in order of magnitude worse than than any questionable time penalties, grid drops or controversial crashes.
Fortunately the only realistic way this potentially impacts is double DNF, and here's to that not happening.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: