Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 10:15 PM   #6821
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Gimmicky like say the back 9 at Drum? Or gimmicky like say Silver Tip? Also I thought about the OGC courses for and early 18 before my meetings, why Bear over Quail?
Bear is a better course. But both are way over priced.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 11:21 PM   #6822
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Headed to Kelowna for work at the beginning of June. Have some time to probably get a couple rounds in as a single. What two courses should I hit?
Tower Ranch needs to be one of them.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:06 AM   #6823
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with Tower is you don’t get rewarded for a good shot. As noted above goofy green designs. Just short and you roll back downhill. A good drive and you still have a blind shot in. The back 9 is weird. 17 and 18 are terrible finishing holes.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 12:21 AM   #6824
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This...i would do Black Mountain, Harvest, and Gallagher if your sticking to right in Kelowna. Lots of good options within an hour or so (Predator, Salmon Arm, Shuswap National)

Personally not a fan of Tower Ranch or The Rise in Vernon. As others have mentioned, both are gimmicky with a lot of blind shots etc that you need to play several times to not get penalized for good shots that end up being punitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Black Mountain is a good track just up highway 33.
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 PM   #6825
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a weird game.

I've played Valley Ridge twice this year - first time about 10 days ago, second time today. Last time it was a bit windy, today it was quite hot in the sun but the greens were slightly softer.

The last time I played, I felt like I couldn't get anything to go right. I was either short or long on approaches, I missed a couple of drives badly (though no penalty strokes), I didn't make basically any putts and had a couple of dumb 3 putts. The punishing holes on the front inflicted their punishment in just the way that the sadist who designed them intended. I left feeling like I'd played pretty poorly and was a little frustrated that the course got the better of me and I didn't make good strategic decisions.

Today, I felt like I was striking everything quite well. I hit a few fat and a few thin but nothing too bad other than my first tee shot, and I recovered from that immediately. I did have some bad luck - a couple of "5% from being amazing" shots kicking into the water for my only two penalty strokes of the day, and a bunch of really good approaches that just didn't get the rolls on the green. But I left pretty happy and satisfied with my play, because I stuck with it and was proud of myself for battling through, generally solid course management, and grinding out a score... the exact same score as the first round.

Weird game.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow