Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #361
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd watch, in order:

Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men: The Last Stand
Avengers
Fantastic Four
Guardians of the Galaxy
Howard the Duck
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnorak
Infinity War
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #362
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/marvel-c...line-avengers/

This is the timeline I like.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #363
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, it's not about making a list of the top 5 marvel movies to watch. It's about providing maximum information and context in as few movies as possible, operating on the assumption that the viewer doesn't have any more in-depth knowledge of the characters than the average non-fan (because a comic book fan has obviously seen all of them already). Happily, the worst movies also don't provide much of value in that arena. I seriously don't think you can just jump into Civil War with no backstory whatsoever. It's clearly the middle of an ongoing saga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Then the real discussion begins.

What is the correct viewing order? Because I don't think it is by release date.
There are a ton of websites that have attempted to put this together, but the challenge is that if you do it chronologically, some of the references don't make sense. I do like Cap1 being the first movie. But regardless, I think it's pretty clear Captain Marvel is probably going to mess with it a bit - it wouldn't shock me if it lands in the viewing order before Avengers 1, so probably best to figure this out after IW2.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #364
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not confuse two issues though. A list for someone who's already seen Infinity War and now just wants to catch up for the next movie with a couple of the old movies and a list of what to watch, ideally, leading up to Infinity War are far different.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #365
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'd watch, in order:

Iron Man
Avengers
Fantastic Four
Guardians of the Galaxy
Howard the Duck
Black Panther
Infinity War
I... I assume this is a joke.

Anyway if you just want to watch a couple of the better marvel movies, seems to me that the consensus top 3 are Avengers 1, Winter Soldier and Ragnarok, in no particular order.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #366
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'd watch, in order:

Iron Man
Avengers
Fantastic Four
Guardians of the Galaxy
Howard the Duck
Black Panther
Infinity War
Howard the Duck was a criminally underrated Superhero film.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #367
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Guys, it's not about making a list of the top 5 marvel movies to watch. It's about providing maximum information and context in as few movies as possible, operating on the assumption that the viewer doesn't have any more in-depth knowledge of the characters than the average non-fan
In that case I don't think you can get it lower then 7 films...

Iron Man
Captain America: TFA
Thor
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Thor: Ragnorok

You can skip everything else and still get the essential MCU and more or less fully understand Infinity War.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #368
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do Iron Man, Cap1 and Thor add that you don't get a sufficient dose of in Avengers?

Avengers 1 was intentionally made so that it would be accessible to people who hadn't watched the previous movies. You find out who the characters are through their interactions with each other, and you find out who Loki is almost immediately. Those origin movies are just backstory - they're not strictly necessary.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #369
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a while since I've watched them all but I think if I had to narrow it down to just the bare minimum then the required viewings would be:

1) The Avengers (Space Stone + Good enough intro to most of the main roster)
2) Avengers: Age of Ultron (Mind Stone + Introduces Wanda & Vision who play a big role in IW)
3) Guardians of the Galaxy (Power Stone + Introduces the GotG and the Marvel "Space" Universe)
4) Captain America: Civil War (Sets up Tony/Captain America story arc and introduces Black Panther + more background on Bucky)
5) Dr.Strange (Time Stone + Introduces Dr.Strange who also has a big role in IW)
6) Thor: Ragnarok (Ties directly into the start of Infinity War and Thor/Hulk's story arc)

Others have left out Age of Ultron and Dr.Strange but I think that since Vision and Dr.Strange play such a big role in Infinity War that you can't really leave those movies out. The other movies just don't provide enough background on those characters to fill in the rest of the gap and those two characters are central to the two main ongoing arcs taking place in Infinity War.

Another one that could potentially be Thor: Dark World since it introduces you to the powers of the reality stone but the rest of the movie is largely mediocre and it's doesn't directly impact the story so I'm not sure I really think it's required.

Black Panther would also be considered optional material IMO - just since Wakanda does play a role in this one and gets introduced in that movie - but nothing about that story really matters in IW and you get introduced to BP in Civil War anyways. (If anything it just creates more questions about why didn't they have those remote manned jets flying around and gunning down people when Thanos troops were attacking.)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-21-2018 at 02:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #370
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What do Iron Man, Cap1 and Thor add that you don't get a sufficient dose of in Avengers?
Nothing, and if you want just a barebones MCU then you can skip them... but if you want "maximized information and context" for non-fans then I think you need those first three. If you managed to find a fan of the comic books who somehow hadn't seen the movies then I'd say skip um just watch the last four. But for a non-fan? Give them the origin story for the big three.

I'm going to be super-sad after Infinity War II... we're probably looking at the last Evans/Downey Jr. appearances (I think we'll see Hemsworth again). Big loss to the franchise.

Last edited by Parallex; 08-21-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #371
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Nothing, and if you want just a barebones MCU then you can skip them... but if you want "maximized information and context" for non-fans then I think you need those first three. If you managed to find a fan of the comic books who somehow hadn't seen the movies then I'd say skip um just watch the last four. But for a non-fan? Give them the origin story for the big three.

I'm going to be super-sad after Infinity War II... we're probably looking at the last Evans/Downey Jr. appearances (I think we'll see Hemsworth again). Big loss to the franchise.
All good things....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #372
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
All good things....
I wonder if they're going to write out the characters or just go James Bond on them (or a little bit of both). Chris Evan's Cap dies saving the universe from Thanos but after the Time Stone explodes in RDJ Iron Man's hands during the climactic battle he takes off his helmat to reveal Dacre Montgomery's (or some such young actor... just picked one who resembles RDJ a little) Tony Stark (I hope they don't... young Tony was a terrible story-line in the comics). I mean they already just straight up subbed out Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #373
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they're going to write out the characters or just go James Bond on them (or a little bit of both). Chris Evan's Cap dies saving the universe from Thanos but after the Time Stone explodes in RDJ Iron Man's hands during the climactic battle he takes off his helmat to reveal Dacre Montgomery's (or some such young actor... just picked one who resembles RDJ a little) Tony Stark (I hope they don't... young Tony was a terrible story-line in the comics). I mean they already just straight up subbed out Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle.
And the comics have done this ad nauseam.

Theres nothing wrong with that, but it makes more sense as far as the films are concerned because these actors have dedicated themselves to this storyline for over a decade. Its likely time to cut them loose and inject new blood.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #374
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its ok to give characters a final death once in a while, even in the movies.

Maybe its time for Tony Stark as a whole to take an enormous dirt nap, or give Captain America a 21 gun salute before firing his casket into the ocean.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #375
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean they already just straight up subbed out Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle.
And Edward Norton for Mark Ruffalo.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #376
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we see the death of Stark.

I think, due to Chris Evan saying he's over playing Captain America, we'll see Steve Rogers walk away from everything after the death of Stark.

Then, we'll get some Bucky playing Captain America for a movie or two (maybe not Captain America-movie, but in the universe). And in like 10 years after Infinity War 2 comes out, a post-credit scene in some other random Avengers movie will be a burly old Chris Evan picking up Captain America's shield while everyone squeals in delight.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 08-21-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #377
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really want to see the Spiderman story end with the events of Spider-man:reign. That's a movie that needs to be made

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #378
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

1) Watch them in the order they were released.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #379
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Others have left out Age of Ultron and Dr.Strange but I think that since Vision and Dr.Strange play such a big role in Infinity War that you can't really leave those movies out.
I agree, I just think Avengers 2 is sort of semi-optional (for the purpose of reducing the size of the list) because there's a decent amount of Vision in Civil War.
Quote:
Another one that could potentially be Thor: Dark World since it introduces you to the powers of the reality stone
Does it even, though? I've not watched it in a while for obvious reasons but my recollection is that the Aether was never really treated as a reality-altering device per se, so much as just a generic macguffinesque superweapon. If it had that particular "reality" flavour to it, that was purely superfluous; the point was "this thing will end the world".
Quote:
Black Panther would also be considered optional material IMO - just since Wakanda does play a role in this one and gets introduced in that movie - but nothing about that story really matters in IW and you get introduced to BP in Civil War anyways.
I think it's necessary, because it's the setting for the climax of IW. Without Black Panther, you're inherently confused about a whole bunch of stuff in the second half of the movie, most notably, "where the hell are they and who are all these pseudo-tribal warriors they're fighting alongside".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I really want to see the Spiderman story end with the events of Spider-man:reign. That's a movie that needs to be made
I was thinking that if Vision stays dead after this, you could do a sort of House of M type of movie, or even two. Even better if they can manage to convince Sony to let them cross-over the X-men universe, but even without that, there are lots of ways to make that story work.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #380
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Iron Man 2 over 1????
Not this list of best movies, but the list of what sets up the Avengers Series.

I've rewatched almost all of them this summer and for me Thor 1 far and away the second worst 8 years old and already very dated, the worst has never been a conversation for anyone (Hulk). But those are the 9 movies that really contribute to the plot of Infinity war. The others are window dressing you don't really need for the plot of infinity war.

Thor 1 sets up the villain for Avengers 1, so if your asking about backstory its important.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos