Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #201
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One has a solid script that is a payoff of all the groundwork laid in the years before it, and the other is the total opposite?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #202
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's perplexing, I've heard almost nothing but universal praise for IW on every forum and every converstation I've had with people who've seen it. Contrast that to The Last Jedi where most people I talk to either hated it or thought it was average, and we know how the online discussions about it have gone. Yet TLJ scored 7% higher on Rotten Tomatoes. I love both franchises so I can look at both movies without much bias, IW is just better in all respects. Story, dialog, characters, all far more enjoyable in Infinity War. So what exactly caused critics to like TLJ more?
I really enjoyed the Last Jedi, I think they really did justice to the story of looking hopelessness in the eye and not blinking, which Star Wars has always been about. Every good Star Wars movie has centered around blind faith in the midst of a hopeless predicament and the Last Jedi was hyper aware of that in every way.

But I have to agree with you, just outstanding what they did with Infinity War. The further I get away from this, the more I re-watch old Marvel movies to better understand what is happening, the more think about how they pieced the movie together and the bait and switch they did for us on teh protagonist, I realize just how good this movie is. Frankly anything less that 100% from any audience who has already invested 40 hours of their time to this franchise is something else. To dislike this movie would have required a preconceived opinion, or a complete lack of attention to what it is they achieved.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #203
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the criticism that is made about this movie is the Newyorker review which is it's not a movie it's an episode of television. The movie continues where Ragnarok and Civile War left off, Assumes the Audience knows all the characters and knows that all of the universes are intertwined. Then it ends on a cliff hanger.

So if a movie is defined as a stand alone piece of Art then The Infinity War is not a good movie

So the snobby world of critics gets to write these bad reviews about the Penultimate episode in Season 3 of the MCU not being a complete piece of Art. It's click bate and intentionally missing the point but I also think it is a form of protest against the combined universe of story telling that in general (outside of the MCU) has failed
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #204
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Saw this last night and thought it was amazing. Looking at this another way, I think what more could people want?

Imagine how much work went into making that and it’s mindboggling. I also look at the credits rolling and number of people involved in it. How they keep it confidential (or even parts of it as I assume the script is held tight) and how they manage to pay 7,000 people and still make money is crazy.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #205
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the criticism that is made about this movie is the Newyorker review which is it's not a movie it's an episode of television. The movie continues where Ragnarok and Civile War left off, Assumes the Audience knows all the characters and knows that all of the universes are intertwined. Then it ends on a cliff hanger.

So if a movie is defined as a stand alone piece of Art then The Infinity War is not a good movie

So the snobby world of critics gets to write these bad reviews about the Penultimate episode in Season 3 of the MCU not being a complete piece of Art. It's click bate and intentionally missing the point but I also think it is a form of protest against the combined universe of story telling that in general (outside of the MCU) has failed
Man I watched the Deathly Hallows Part:II yesterday. What a piece of crap. Who is this Harry Potter guy anyways? Apparently the savior but there's no back story to who he is at all. What a garbage movie. Then this guy with no nose. Everyone's afraid of him and even his name, is it just because he has no nose? This 8th movie in a series of 8 adapted from seven books makes no sense!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #206
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Man I watched the Deathly Hallows Part:II yesterday. What a piece of crap. Who is this Harry Potter guy anyways? Apparently the savior but there's no back story to who he is at all. What a garbage movie. Then this guy with no nose. Everyone's afraid of him and even his name, is it just because he has no nose? This 8th movie in a series of 8 adapted from seven books makes no sense!
Yes, that is the rebuttal to the critics argument. Not sure that rebuttal matters in answering the question of why the RT score for infinity War is lower the. TLJ.

Also Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 had a 79% RT score with the main criticism being it wasn't a complete movie. So at least critics are more or less consistent with their dislike for episodic movies. I think the same thing is true for Hunger games and Twilight part 1s as well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #207
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, that is the rebuttal to the critics argument. Not sure that rebuttal matters in answering the question of why the RT score for infinity War is lower the. TLJ.

Also Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 had a 79% RT score with the main criticism being it wasn't a complete movie. So at least critics are more or less consistent with their dislike for episodic movies. I think the same thing is true for Hunger games and Twilight part 1s as well.
Joking aside, a lot of the praise I heard about TLJ is that it was a 'fresh new take on Star Wars', it was 'Star Wars like you've never seen it before.' and 'This isn't your daddy's Star Wars'. Then add in some of the social justice context around it, and critics ate it up.

IW is 'just' another superhero movie and doesn't hit much of the social justice scale. I'd be tempted to wonder if superhero fatigue is also setting in.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #208
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #209
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think studios have figured out how to cook the ratings on RT, could be marvel thought they had a strong enough movie that they didn't want to throw money at boosting their RT score.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #210
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's perplexing, I've heard almost nothing but universal praise for IW on every forum and every converstation I've had with people who've seen it. Contrast that to The Last Jedi where most people I talk to either hated it or thought it was average, and we know how the online discussions about it have gone. Yet TLJ scored 7% higher on Rotten Tomatoes. I love both franchises so I can look at both movies without much bias, IW is just better in all respects. Story, dialog, characters, all far more enjoyable in Infinity War. So what exactly caused critics to like TLJ more?
Yea, everything about Avengers is better. I enjoyed The Last Jedi more than a lot of people did, but it's not worthy of being in the same conversation as Infinity War. I don't know what the critics watched because this movie was everything I hoped it would be.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 05-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #211
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Saw it today. Long and boring. This super hero fad has got to end at some point. Every movie is exactly the same, but more boring than the last. Where's this decade's Natural Born Killers, or Pulp Fiction? More fataing superhero BS.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #212
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Saw it today. Long and boring. This super hero fad has got to end at some point. Every movie is exactly the same, but more boring than the last. Where's this decade's Natural Born Killers, or Pulp Fiction? More fataing superhero BS.
Guy who obviously hates superhero movies hates superhero movie. . . .

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #213
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yea it really sucks how this is the only movie that's getting released in 2018.

Oh, wait, you mean the existence of super hero movies doesn't prevent other movies from being made? No way!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #214
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Agree with you.

Give me an action movie under 2 hours please. These superhero movies need to edit their stuff down a bit. Way too bloated with filler.

I'm not falling for the hype anymore. Every Marvel film is talked about as a new high point in cinematic history. Give me a break.

I grew up loving Marvel. I bought their comics and loved the X-Men cartoons. When Spiderman and Ironman first came out it was different and fun.

Now it's so formulaic. I liked Logan but other than that I haven't liked a superhero movie in a long time.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #215
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly the same as every other super hero movie?

What?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #216
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Well this is their mistake in bold.

For better or worse Marvel has redefined what is possible in movies. I do think it's fair that allot of their success can be linked to what works in other serialized medias, but that has more to do with their understanding of the source text, than ripping off the format of TV.

Story bleeding into story bleeding into story, and crossovers, and teams has been integral to the comic book form for over 50 years. They transferred their form to the movie media, rather than letting the media dictate the form, and that is really the art of what they've done.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #217
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Agree with you.

Give me an action movie under 2 hours please. These superhero movies need to edit their stuff down a bit. Way too bloated with filler.

I'm not falling for the hype anymore. Every Marvel film is talked about as a new high point in cinematic history. Give me a break.

I grew up loving Marvel. I bought their comics and loved the X-Men cartoons. When Spiderman and Ironman first came out it was different and fun.

Now it's so formulaic. I liked Logan but other than that I haven't liked a superhero movie in a long time.
So why buy tickets then? I don't understand yours and Sliver's complaints at all, because if I think I won't like a movie I won't spend money to see it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #218
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Oh and Natural Born Killers is a piece of garbage that was only ever popular due to angsty teenagers. Calling it some kind of decade defining film is laughable
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #219
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

People stun me, there's no question about what your getting when you buy a ticket to a super hero movie.

You're not getting long monologues or deep conversation. You're not getting art like camera angles, transitions or color shifts.

You're not getting any kind of subtly where you have to interpret anything.

What you are getting is 3 hours of a ridiculous plot idea with larger then life characters, and a lot of people getting punched in the face, thrown through walls and kicked into orbit.

You're getting science that absolutely isn't real or debatable, a over the top scene stealing villain, and a rudimentary story line.

If you ran a check box on Infinity war, and there was an Oscar type award for big budget movies with tons of action, then Infinity Wars cleans up at that awards show.

If you go looking for deeper meaning, deeper conversation, sub text of try to compare it to movies like Natural Born Killers then of course you're going to hate this movie.

Watchman tried to be that movie and in retrospect, it really sucked.

There wasn't much to be disappointing about in this movie, except it didn't have a scene where two guys are having dinner and one of them is named Andre and they're having a horrible boring conversation and then they suddenly turn into dust.

Here's my grinder, and its on the parents, the ones who take young kids to these movies. I mean honestly I know you don't want to be spoiled,. but don't you kind of have a responsibility to your 5 or 6 or 7 year old to kind of vette this movie first.

I can't tell you how many kids were crying and really upset when Parker was fading and crying. Or when Groot turned to dust.

Come on people you have kids, you have an obligation to know what's coming.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #220
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My kids love them and they're 10 and 12, so I go with them. I'm forced to watch these terrible movies. Grown ups who like them are idiots.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos