Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people's opinions on using the builder preferred realtor to sell my current house? There's obviously thousands of dollars of incentive there.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Look at the future development and planning of Mahogany. My wife and I also live in the community and love it.
As for the remarks about builders sweating and negotiating hard on spec homes.... this is a case by case basis. An area like Mahogany is doing quite well and I just finished negotiating with builder on 3 different properties in the area.
As for upgrades, think resale. Think about what is seen as standard now vs something that is seen as dated. Go out and view a number of available properties on the MLS and have your realtor point out upgrades vs non upgrades. It is easy to get caught up in the show home where everything has been done up but not until you see some basic level finishings will you really be able to see what is important to you.

I can't put enough focus on the lot itself. Many of these new areas have very small yards. Distinguish yourself when it comes time to sell with your lot.

Also, there will be 9 or so major exits from Mahogany in the near future. Towards the YMCA will be a road connecting 88th St and 52nd St. There are already a handful of exits onto 52nd. Then a handful onto that east west road up by the Y and then at least 1 exit onto 88th which is awesome to get right onto stoney. There was some discussion about this being delayed / cancelled but then other parts of the city website say it is still a go. The land to the East of Mahogany appears to be owned by a developer and 88th will have to be a major road if that development goes ahead.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would take online reviews with a grain of salt. Generally speaking, people only give a review when they are angry and I know very few people who were especially happy with the building process. Unrealistic expectations and how issues are handled are the primary sources of frustration. As pointed out above, your site manager is the person you need to care about the most. Build a positive relationship with this person as they have a lot of say over the process.

My only real advice is to try your best not to get too emotionally involved. I know it's hard, but this is a business transaction pure and simple. The salespeople and the company just want your money. They will pull at your heartstrings in an attempt to make more profit because they make more bonuses/commission. In other words, you need to be a bit of a dick, unfortunately. Well, don't be afraid to advocate for yourself at least.

Lastly, don't assume that the City inspectors are working on your behalf. They know most of the site managers personally and minimum code is notoriously weak.

I realize that a lot of the posts here have a negative tone to them, but don't let that dissuade you from building. I have done it a couple of times and really enjoyed the process most of the time. There are soul-sucking parts, but I found the process to be really interesting. Just keep your expectations in check.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #24
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are people's opinions on using the builder preferred realtor to sell my current house? There's obviously thousands of dollars of incentive there.
Not a bad idea if you are confident in your ability to make the right decisions when building or have someone in your corner to help on the buy side. A spec home vs a new build is going to be much different. There is a good chance any savings when selling could have been built into your purchase as you missed out on some opportunity that may have presented itself if you hadn't hired the person you are trying to negotiate against to also negotiate for you at the same time.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 09-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #25
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm curious about the hiring a realtor to buy a brand new showhome part...

Does that not piss off the home builders? Like all of a sudden they have to pay 3.5%+1.5% to a realtor when they could have just split those savings between the customer and the profit?

I have no idea how it works, so I just wanted to know if that sets off the customer/sales relationship on the wrong foot.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #26
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

^The builders just want to move product. They will work with a buyer's realtor just fine in my experience.
automaton 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #27
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I'm curious about the hiring a realtor to buy a brand new showhome part...

Does that not piss off the home builders? Like all of a sudden they have to pay 3.5%+1.5% to a realtor when they could have just split those savings between the customer and the profit?

I have no idea how it works, so I just wanted to know if that sets off the customer/sales relationship on the wrong foot.

I think a lot of builders offer a smaller flat fee for any buyer's agent. It sort of discourages outside agents but it is still something so outside realtors won't completely shut out their buyers. And I think it is a huge benefit to the buyer to have their own agent...assuming that agent knows the ropes and is willing to do a bit of work on your behalf. It also offers you something more in the way of errors and omissions/professional liability insurance if anything goes wrong at their hand.

There should never be hard feelings when a client seeks their own representation. In fact it should be encouraged by both sides.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #28
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 2 bits:

Get the biggest lot you can find, with an alley preferably. Stay away from the main roads.

Upgrade the heck out of the kitchen.

Be realistic about what work you have the skills and time to complete.

Make sure you have cash left over for appliances and window coverings. And landscaping, deck, fence if you didn't have the builder do it. And inevitably some new furniture.

Get it in writing in the contract or you'll likely be disappointed.

Get them to quote everything you want, and then pick and choose. Don't take their word on pricing and make an offer.
automaton 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #29
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don’t build. Ever. Tell a realtor want you want and your budget. Buy the one you like and move in next week.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #30
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a new home from Calbridge in Cochrane. Made quite a lot of mods and upgrades on the base model. I’m glad we did but it certainly adds up!! Overall we are happy with the build quality, design and choices process and aftercare service.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
Don’t build. Ever. Tell a realtor want you want and your budget. Buy the one you like and move in next week.
Building is awesome. We built in 2003 and ended up with a sick house. With all-new and warrantied appliances and a years-long maintenance holiday, you avoid so many unexpected costs that you face in an older house. There also isn't the need/desire to update and renovate. New houses are the best.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #32
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
I want a house without someone else’s pubes in the shower drains.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #33
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

To answer the “builder becomes upset when you bring in a realtor who now gets paid” comment... builders often offer less than most resale properties and already have a budget for this expense. I have heard of sales people telling a potential buyer that if they bring their realtor in, they won’t get as good or a deal. Once that reaches the realtor and the realtor reaches those in higher up positions, you often find a sales person looking for a new job. The sales person very well could be the one who loses some earnings by having a realtor but the company itself budgets to pay someone, whether it is the area listing realtor to post properties on the MLS, the in house sales team or a realtor negotiating for a buyer.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 09-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #34
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spend money on your windows; if it's not a listed upgrade, I would ask if they can do it for you.
Don't buy anything with stucco.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #35
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
To answer the “builder becomes upset when you bring in a realtor who now gets paid” comment... builders often offer less than most resale properties and already have a budget for this expense. I have heard of sales people telling a potential buyer that if they bring their realtor in, they won’t get as good or a deal. Once that reaches the realtor and the realtor reaches those in higher up positions, you often find a sales person looking for a new job. The sales person very well could be the one who loses some earnings by having a realtor but the company itself budgets to pay someone, whether it is the area listing realtor to post properties on the MLS, the in house sales team or a realtor negotiating for a buyer.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. If someone is going to get paid anyways, it might as well be someone who is working for your best interests. How much do the realtors usually get? That would be a pretty sweet pay day for much less work than a typical purchasing process where the realtor has to research areas, do comparables, drive all over the city etc. etc.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #36
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. If someone is going to get paid anyways, it might as well be someone who is working for your best interests. How much do the realtors usually get? That would be a pretty sweet pay day for much less work than a typical purchasing process where the realtor has to research areas, do comparables, drive all over the city etc. etc.
Without getting into the full process, a new build can often involve more work than a resale property. Every builder is different in what they offer. Some offer $1,500 flat while others offer 3.5% on the first 100k + 1.5% on the balance. In a good market, they try to offer nothing and then in a bad market they host events to show their appreciation while increasing pay lol.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #37
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Building is awesome. We built in 2003 and ended up with a sick house. With all-new and warrantied appliances and a years-long maintenance holiday, you avoid so many unexpected costs that you face in an older house. There also isn't the need/desire to update and renovate. New houses are the best.
I won't argue those benefits, there is definitely something to be said for building new but there are also downsides. We build new in 1997 and I'm not sure I would it again. We were neither disappointed in the process but also not 100% happy. New or older, I am open to either when we make out next move.

Downsides:
1. landscaping. As in there is none so you either do it yourself or have it done. Either way it's a significant cost and even once it's done you still don't have that nice mature yard to enjoy for the first 10-15 years.

2. your street and neighborhood will be a construction zone for the next few years unless you happen to be the last home under construction in your area.

3. practically no development of any kind for several years at best. No commercial (ie stores), limited to no transit, probably no schools etc. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in your vehicle. My community had no schools for the first 10 years we were there.

I guess if you are building an infill many of these things would not apply.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I won't argue those benefits, there is definitely something to be said for building new but there are also downsides. We build new in 1997 and I'm not sure I would it again. We were neither disappointed in the process but also not 100% happy. New or older, I am open to either when we make out next move.

Downsides:
1. landscaping. As in there is none so you either do it yourself or have it done. Either way it's a significant cost and even once it's done you still don't have that nice mature yard to enjoy for the first 10-15 years.

2. your street and neighborhood will be a construction zone for the next few years unless you happen to be the last home under construction in your area.

3. practically no development of any kind for several years at best. No commercial (ie stores), limited to no transit, probably no schools etc. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in your vehicle. My community had no schools for the first 10 years we were there.

Part of why we love Mahogany is all the amenities are already there.

Also, I like to "do stuff" so landscaping, deck building, etc I look forward to those projects and challenges. I think I'm going to do my basement myself too to save money.

There's the old saying "if she doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy"... well now you know.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Downsides:

Wait have you been down to the Mahogany/Auburn Bay/Seton area?

There aren't too many communities with that many amenities. In fact, beyond clothing and shoe stores I can't think of what it doesn't have.

We have been in A Bay for 2 years and love it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wait have you been down to the Mahogany/Auburn Bay/Seton area?

There aren't too many communities with that many amenities. In fact, beyond clothing and shoe stores I can't think of what it doesn't have.

We have been in A Bay for 2 years and love it.
Depends on when you move in. I bought new in Evanston on the very first street. No amenities for years. I think if you're going to build new the best is to build at the latter phase of a development versus near the beginning.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: