Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #21
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Having just spent the weekend in Edmonton....

I ####ing love Calgary.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #22
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love that we are so close by to so many amazing excursions - Banff, Canmore, Jasper, Drumheller, Lake Louise, etc. Being able to take small day trips to escape into a beautiful forest with mountains is something I always take for granted living here.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #23
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's an ocean front away from being perfect.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #24
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm from Winnipeg. I moved here in 1998 when I was 12. The city had just lost their NHL team 2 years prior. I pop back to Winnipeg on occasion, but this is my home now, and I hope will be for a very long time.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #25
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I adopted Calgary as my home upon emergence from the womb. I love it here and plan to remain for the long haul.

I'm in agreement on the weather not being all that bad, also. I get around to different spots quite a bit for work and it's simply a matter of picking your poison. The west coast enjoys milder temps but sunshine's in short supply (Vancouver anyway), and the winters/summers in the east are brutal on account of the higher humidity. Calgary strikes a decent balance and the brutal sub zero temperatures that people yack about are generally pretty few and far between.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #26
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Winter here in Calgary, if you take out the really bad stretches that happen maybe twice or thrice a year, is actually quite mild. -15C with no windchill is very enjoyable to me. It's the short day light during the darkest months that's depressing.

I wish we have Hawaii kind of weather but other than that Calgary is quite mild whether in summer or winter. Would I trade Calgary's weather for warm and humid weather like that in, say, Singapore or Bangkok? No I won't.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #27
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Born and raised here. I love the city. Yes, the weather gets a bad rap and to be honest as I get older I have less patience for the 2 weeks of bitter cold we get in either January or February (the rest isn't that bad) but that's what trip to Mexico and Jamaica are for.

Being older I also got to buy my first house when it was cheap.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was born and raised in Calgary, then spent a few years in Vancouver, then a couple years in LA-area.

Calgary & Canada have some really awesome things going on. Sometimes I hate when people rag on Canada/Calgary. Vancouver does have the worst road system though

I definitely enjoy Cali, but America is a different animal. I don't think I would want to live here unless I had a very stable job with oodles of benefits. The way they run this country's healthcare is wrong.

I could see myself moving to Calgary again one day, but don't kid yourself the weather is brutal there. This coming from a guy who played outdoor hockey all the time.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #29
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

4th generation Calgarian here. Love the "core" of this city (not downtown core). Always have.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Born, raised and lived here all my life and I too have genuine affection for my urban environment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah, the weather here gets a pretty bad rap.
No it doesn't. The weather is terrible but that said it's not like Winnipeg or Edmonton are any better. It's kind of amazing how much nicer the weather is a few hours south like Lethbridge or Medicine Hat. The lone bright spots are that we typically get less snow than most major northern cities in Canada and the US and a fair bit of sun.

I really like Calgary. It really is a great city as it's clean, it's modern, it's safe, etc but I kind of get tired of the weather apologist as it's a damn cold city. I think you can still love the city and not like the weather as every city has their negatives and in Calgary it just happens to be the weather. Nothing to be ashamed of as no city is perfect.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I believe the weather is how Mercer and the EUI city rankings keep Calgary from being closer to #1. Don't quote me on it though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #33
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Or, some people actually do LIKE the weather?

The snow opens up a whole subset of activities that some people can't have, and fly from all over the world to experience. If there are people who would pay thousands of dollars for a few days here, don't you think it's possible that some people actually like the winter?

My point is more that it's over blown. To say it sucks or is terrible, or a reason to avoid the city is not true IMO. It's not like this is some town in the middle of the tundra, or a city surrounded by desert.

If people can move here from Saudi Arabia, and have few complaints about the weather, then I think anyone can make it work with little trouble.

Last edited by Coach; 09-22-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The snow opens up a whole subset of activities that some people can't have, and fly from all over the world to experience. If there are people who would pay thousands of dollars for a few days here, don't you think it's possible that some people actually like the winter?
There's a difference between spending a few days to see snow and living through it every year dealing with our cold springs and short summers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #35
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My point is more that it's over blown. To say it sucks or is terrible, or a reason to avoid the city is not true IMO. It's not like this is some town in the middle of the tundra, or a city surrounded by desert.

If people can move here from Saudi Arabia, and have few complaints about the weather, then I think anyone can make it work with little trouble.
I think what people mean then they say "the weather sucks" is that you can't depend on the seasons to be correct. I have seen snow in every month of the calendar in Calgary. In that aspect, IMO, it does suck. It can be a crap shoot which July shows up, or for that matter which January shows up. Cold when it should be warm and warm when it should be cold.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #36
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think most people do not like the inconsistency in the weather, rather than the sheer cold.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'll gladly trade an occasional day of flurries in August for regular +10 chinooks in December, January and February.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the volatility being an annoyance. It's just not as cold as some people make it out/believe it to be. And not only that, some people like the cold.

I'll take winter in Calgary over summer in Phoenix, or Vegas, or pretty much anywhere near the equator. But that's just me. Just bugs me when people refer to things as "terrible" when it's something that is largely subjective.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #39
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'd rather have Calgary's 'broken-up' winter than the extreme case of Winnipeg 'frozen-24/7' winter.

Chinooks (minus the occasional headache) are definitely a positive for me.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #40
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coming from Winnipeg, I used to read about Chinooks in the Geography textbooks in elementary school. At the time, it was said that it was unknown when they would happen, and that it is a surprise to forecasters who couldn't tell when in the middle of winter the temp would get into the teens. I thought they were magic. Had to be. I came one year for the Grey Cup, and witnessed my first one during that time - there was snow on the ground, but it was all melting, and the sun was shining, and it was gloriously warm. It did not disappoint.

I moved here 17 years ago, and have gotten used to the other parts of Calgary's weather. It isn't stinking hot and muggy every summer with mosquitos. Spring isn't a season that only lasts 2 weeks, same with fall. Octobers and Novembers are actually nice in this city, something I never experienced as a kid. I never had a bare lawn in Christmas back east, here it's common. Growing up I hated cool weather, now I actually find I enjoy it. I don't have to know that in two weeks, it must be getting so cold that you are trudging through snow.

The Chinooks though, they always make me feel good. The fact that they can be predicted now takes away a little bit of the magic, but they are special, and something we need to remember.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , canada , great cities