Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #41
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5
Things I miss about Calgary at 700k? How it used to be really affordable, and customer service was still decent.
Everything else though? Today's Calgary blows it out of the water.
And traffic, especially if you live in the SW where Stoney isn't completed yet. Glenmore is a disaster in this area every day without fail. MacLeod north of Southland is generally a mess as well, that was my go-to road back in the day.

I'd also say there's a certain snobby/DB'ness that didn't exist back in the 90s, but I may chalk that up to simply not seeing it back then because I was a student living in the burbs, and now I work in the core. I'm sure downtown has always had its snobby elements.

If you're in the right areas it's beautiful though, downtown looks amazing from the River Walk side. Calgary really did grow up in the years I was gone.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #42
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Also going out to the mountains on weekends, specifically long weekends is getting to be pretty horrible.
Getting to be? I remember it being pretty horrible in 2003, and it feels no different to me today.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #43
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
We came to Calgary in '89 when the population was around 700k. It was a dump back then. I can't believe anyone would prefer that version of the city to what we have now.

I think "dump" is a bit harsh.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #44
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Maybe a bit harsh, but not far off. I've lived here for 36 years and I've seen Calgary do a lot of growing up. So many brutal intersections that needed overpasses that we were too cheap to build, so many voids in the city that just needed to be developed, like Avenida, Deerfoot Meadows, even that ball park on Blackfoot and Glenmore, there was that ugly ass trailer park at Anderson and McLeod that is now a big condo and a couple of dealerships... And even though I like history, that grain elevator at Banister Road didn't really fit in. It looks better as a dealership and a train station. And for that matter, the C Train grew into some bigboy pants. Also with ATCO developing their land, and what was built across 50th, and the redevelopment of that army housing area, Crowchild South looks like part of the city, instead of some weird industrial area. Oh yeah, and theen there's all the stuff that was build south of MRC.

I also like the art projects. Some of them are pretty stupid looking to me, like the giant blue ring, and those metal trees on Stephen Ave, but some of them I really like. I'll probably have to duck for cover, but I actually like the fish in the Glenmore underpass, and I love the Peace Bridge. I also really like the way the new towers downtown are trying to look more modern instead of like Edmonton. And even though I don't like some of the art, I'd rather it be there than not.

People may say that today's Calgary is just a big, sprawling prairie town, but back then, it was a big sprawling prairie town with hardly any infrastructure, and a whole lot of wasted space and holes everywhere. And about as bland as a city could look.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #45
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
In the early 90s, Calgary really was just a sprawling, beige prairie town with nothing to do. But it also had the big city problems like crumbling infrastructure and a visible homeless population. Couple that with a terrible local economy because of low oil prices and horrible winter climate and it's pretty tough to not call the place a dump. In fact, all the way up until high school for me (graduated in 2000), everyone wanted to get the hell out of Calgary right after graduation. I was one of the only ones that stuck around in my circle of friends. Many of them have come back years later to visit and are absolutely floored by how incredible the city is now.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the early 90s, Calgary really was just a sprawling, beige prairie town with nothing to do. But it also had the big city problems like crumbling infrastructure and a visible homeless population. Couple that with a terrible local economy because of low oil prices and horrible winter climate and it's pretty tough to not call the place a dump. In fact, all the way up until high school for me (graduated in 2000), everyone wanted to get the hell out of Calgary right after graduation. I was one of the only ones that stuck around in my circle of friends. Many of them have come back years later to visit and are absolutely floored by how incredible the city is now.

So wait, it still has a terrible winter, the oil is once again low, so it is on it's way to being a dump?

I moved here right around, the mid 80's, 84/85. I know the city. The city was coming off the 88 Olympics. It was well known internationally and had lots to offer.

I think 4x4's posts is a better example of problems in Calgary at that time. Perhaps it is because you were in high school at the time, that you have a different view of the city.

Was it perfect, nope, not at all.

Was it a dump, nope. not at all.

Edmonton is a bump, Saint John is a dump, Newcastle (UK) is a dump.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #47
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So wait, it still has a terrible winter, the oil is once again low, so it is on it's way to being a dump?

I moved here right around, the mid 80's, 84/85. I know the city. The city was coming off the 88 Olympics. It was well known internationally and had lots to offer.

I think 4x4's posts is a better example of problems in Calgary at that time. Perhaps it is because you were in high school at the time, that you have a different view of the city.

Was it perfect, nope, not at all.

Was it a dump, nope. not at all.

Edmonton is a bump, Saint John is a dump, Newcastle (UK) is a dump.
There's a lot more to do and see these days than there was in the 90s. So, no low oil prices won't necessarily turn this city into a dump again.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #48
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
In fact, all the way up until high school for me (graduated in 2000), everyone wanted to get the hell out of Calgary right after graduation. I was one of the only ones that stuck around in my circle of friends. Many of them have come back years later to visit and are absolutely floored by how incredible the city is now.
To contrast, I don't know a single person that moved away from Calgary permanently after high school. Some went to school else where but they all came back after.

I'd say anyone who thinks that the city hasn't improved tremendously, is a little nuts.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #49
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Maybe a bit harsh, but not far off. I've lived here for 36 years and I've seen Calgary do a lot of growing up. So many brutal intersections that needed overpasses that we were too cheap to build, so many voids in the city that just needed to be developed, like Avenida, Deerfoot Meadows, even that ball park on Blackfoot and Glenmore, there was that ugly ass trailer park at Anderson and McLeod that is now a big condo and a couple of dealerships...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
And traffic, especially if you live in the SW where Stoney isn't completed yet. Glenmore is a disaster in this area every day without fail. MacLeod north of Southland is generally a mess as well, that was my go-to road back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Getting to be? I remember it being pretty horrible in 2003, and it feels no different to me today.
The saddest part is that the "good" memories of Calgary are of better traffic. I'd trade more time on the road per day if it meant that I'm going to have more fun when I get to where I am going. Or maybe I don't even need to drive there and can walk/take transit instead! Which leads me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The only part I don't like about the growth is the number of people! I remember you used to be able to head out on Crowchild at 5:30 and the evening rush was done. Also going out to the mountains on weekends, specifically long weekends is getting to be pretty horrible. The rest of the changes with growth have been great though.
This whole post screams infrastructure investment in transit. Crowchild is getting addressed in the SW with BRT projects. Stoney Trail will help for getting out of town, however a long term intercity transit plan is required now more than ever in the Lethbridge-Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton corridor as well as the Calgary-Banff corridor led by the province. Thanks NDP.

For the record, I am not suggesting HSR. But something better than Greyhound. Improved Via service return? A GO Transit-like model?
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #50
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Remember when Glenmore had many more traffic lights? Remember when Deerfoot had traffic lights? Remember when Crowchild was full of traffic lights?

I do. It sucked. What we have now is better.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a lot more to do and see these days than there was in the 90s. So, no low oil prices won't necessarily turn this city into a dump again.

but the winters still suck
Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
To contrast, I don't know a single person that moved away from Calgary permanently after high school. Some went to school else where but they all came back after.

I'd say anyone who thinks that the city hasn't improved tremendously, is a little nuts.
Not what I was saying, I was saying the city wasn't a "dump" in the 90's, I would say the bar scene was better then. The Republik was the greatest bar this city has ever seen, followed closely by The Underground/Warehouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Not what I was saying, I was saying the city wasn't a "dump" in the 90's, I would say the bar scene was better then. The Republik was the greatest bar this city has ever seen, followed closely by The Underground/Warehouse.
Well that's not saying much!

All the bars in town are now a National
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #54
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eh they were okay, but I've never had as much fun in Calgary than I had at the Multicultural Centre for the period between 1996 and 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #55
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary with 700k had a race track. Therefore it was better.

Not really, but for a city that likes to pretend it's world class the lack of a motorsports facility is pretty sad
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #56
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Maybe a bit harsh, but not far off. I've lived here for 36 years and I've seen Calgary do a lot of growing up. So many brutal intersections that needed overpasses that we were too cheap to build, so many voids in the city that just needed to be developed, like Avenida, Deerfoot Meadows, even that ball park on Blackfoot and Glenmore, there was that ugly ass trailer park at Anderson and McLeod that is now a big condo and a couple of dealerships... And even though I like history, that grain elevator at Banister Road didn't really fit in. It looks better as a dealership and a train station. And for that matter, the C Train grew into some bigboy pants. Also with ATCO developing their land, and what was built across 50th, and the redevelopment of that army housing area, Crowchild South looks like part of the city, instead of some weird industrial area. Oh yeah, and theen there's all the stuff that was build south of MRC.

I also like the art projects. Some of them are pretty stupid looking to me, like the giant blue ring, and those metal trees on Stephen Ave, but some of them I really like. I'll probably have to duck for cover, but I actually like the fish in the Glenmore underpass, and I love the Peace Bridge. I also really like the way the new towers downtown are trying to look more modern instead of like Edmonton. And even though I don't like some of the art, I'd rather it be there than not.

People may say that today's Calgary is just a big, sprawling prairie town, but back then, it was a big sprawling prairie town with hardly any infrastructure, and a whole lot of wasted space and holes everywhere. And about as bland as a city could look.
The fish at Glenmore Trail are brilliant. Everyone that fills up with water I just think to myself 'they really nailed it!'
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL at people calling Calgary a dump in the 90's. The city hasn't changed that much.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL at people calling Calgary a dump in the 90's. The city hasn't changed that much.
It really has.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #59
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Calgary with 700k had a race track. Therefore it was better.

Not really, but for a city that likes to pretend it's world class the lack of a motorsports facility is pretty sad
While it would be nice, I think thats low on the list for many people in world class cities. There are many without them.

Also, isn't another one in the works?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
While it would be nice, I think thats low on the list for many people in world class cities. There are many without them.

Also, isn't another one in the works?
There's two proposed for southern Alberta.

Rockeyview was rejected by the county and is looking for a new location. Badlands had it's bylaw changes go in it's favour but are still at least 5 years away from shovels in the ground if everything goes perfectly.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , population