Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Frolik has posted 40+ points once as a Flame. There are two options: either the Flames promote Dillon Dube, Sam Bennett, or Andrew Mangiapane into his role; or, they decide to sign a cheap UFA option for a very short term to replace him, somebody like Ryan Hartman or Brandon Pirri.
You're more comfortable overpaying FAR worse UFA players to be maybe half as effective?

Frolik has been at or around the 40 point pace just about his entire Flames career. Players like this don't grow on trees. Dube and Mangiapane may be ready for more responsibility, but it doesn't mean they're capable of playing the role Frolik has yet....there's a huge gap between these players and the Flames will feel this loss if they don't replace him with a similar, cheaper player.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-26-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I like Frolik a lot, but in this salary cap environment, he is significantly devalued at $4.3M. I’d be happy with a 4th round pick if it allows the Flames to sign more people. I’m not sure moving him will be enough to sign everyone. The Flames will probably need to move more.
I don't really care if the Flames sign anyone. If it clears cap room for a big trade ( maybe involving Brodie), I would get pretty excited.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 4th round pick would be a no brainer for the Devils. Frolik either helps them make the playoffs, or could be an asset that gets them a 3rd or maybe a 2nd at the deadline as long as he is not hurt.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Devils definitely aren't trading McLeod, the 12th-overall pick in 2016, or Bratt, a 20-year-old two-time 30-point scorer, for a soon-to-be-32-year-old Michael Frolik.

It'll be a 4th-round pick in return, maybe a 3rd. Frolik is a third-line winger who is declining and only has one year left on his deal.
I suspect you are right but McLeod hasn't shown progression since being drafted. Projecting, at best, to be a bottom 6 forward right now at best.
So he could be available. Certainly doesn't hold the value of a 12th overall pick.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #25
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't want to be right up against the cap to start the season, so if moving Frolik helps us get a couple million under the cap then that is a good thing.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #26
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I don't see the point in trading him if the return is only mid round picks. It's not like he's useless. He is still a pretty versatile player that provides some secondary scoring. Sure, you free up some salary but it's not like the Flames are exactly ripe with wingers ready to produce 40 plus points in that role.
I keep seeing this type of post, and wonder why.

Frolik needs to be moved for cap reasons.

Yes he gives value, but some players need to be moved. Neal can't be, so Frolik draws the short straw. This is not about making the Flames better, it's to make them cap compliant.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
You're more comfortable overpaying FAR worse UFA players to be maybe half as effective?

Frolik has been at or around the 40 point pace just about his entire Flames career. Players like this don't grow on trees. Dube and Mangiapane may be ready for more responsibility, but it doesn't mean they're capable of playing the role Frolik has yet....there's a huge gap between these players and the Flames will feel this loss if they don't replace him with a similar, cheaper player.
So, what do you see as the solution, here? The Flames are in a situation where they need to shed salary before the start of the season. Their options for doing so are limited to either trading high-salary players for picks or prospects, or buying out players on expensive contracts.

Ideally, the Flames would trade Stone and Neal and that would be the end of it. But the practical reality is that these players are currently not appealing to anyone to accept in a trade. This means moving salary attached to a player with some value—hence 2020. pending UFAs TJ Brodie and Michael Frolik.

If there is a better option here I am all ears. What do you think the Flames should do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #28
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
There will be outcry among fans once we see the return for Frolik.
There will be outcry among fans once Frolik is traded for a mid round pick which is then flipped to Vegas for Ryan Reaves.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect you are right but McLeod hasn't shown progression since being drafted. Projecting, at best, to be a bottom 6 forward right now at best.
So he could be available. Certainly doesn't hold the value of a 12th overall pick.
Six goals scored in over 60 AHL games is not exactly a player that looks like he's projecting to be a top 6 NHL player. He's a good skater but I believe many scouts were not sold on his offensive upside before the draft and it appears they were on to something. He may be worth more to the Devils due to sunk cost fallacy than he is to other teams. I would be okay if he was the return but he looks like there's a high possibility he's not even going to be Mark Jankowski in the NHL.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #30
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a year of ($4.75M) 33 year old center Soderberg who recently put up 49 pts in 82 games only nets you a 3rd and a year of ($1.375M) 29 year old D Connauton I don't think we can expect prospects and/or more than a 4th in return for Frolik.

Especially since we're in a position where freeing up cap will be of help, and Colorado isn't desperate for cap room.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know most people seem to be realistic and realize it's not just about the return the main benefit is clearing the space
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #32
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Six goals scored in over 60 AHL games is not exactly a player that looks like he's projecting to be a top 6 NHL player. He's a good skater but I believe many scouts were not sold on his offensive upside before the draft and it appears they were on to something. He may be worth more to the Devils due to where they drafted him than to other teams. I would be okay if he was the return but he looks like he's not even going to be Mark Jankowski in the NHL.
This was exactly my thought process, we all know where Mcleod was drafted but the kid has failed to crack the lineup and has struggled in the AHL. More of a reclamation project at this point, but is a RHS which we lack.

With Calgary looking to dump salary, I'd be okay with McLeod VS's an unknown 4th/5th rounder.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how anyone can expect much of a return...If teams were knocking down the door he would have been gone months ago. He was already a cap dump in one trade that fell through.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #34
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
There will be outcry among fans once Frolik is traded for a mid round pick which is then flipped to Vegas for Ryan Reaves.

I’d be totally okay with that, personally.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should look at this to just be a way to clear out cap. Frolik is a serviceable middle 6 forward, but the current market is weird. Most teams are gearing up for being cap teams. Times have changed, where young players are looking to make the big bucks earlier. Frolik will most likely only net a 2nd or 3rd or a middling prospect. He probably has more value closer to trade deadline, but trading him now is more valuable to the Flames.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #36
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Frolik is a decent player but I think we held onto him a little too long to get anything of value for him. With the cap coming in lower than expected no one is looking for bottom six forwards making much over league min. I would be happy with a 3rd round pick and the extra cap space.

Then flip Brodie + Janko to Toronto for Kadri and we are set for next season.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #37
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I seriously doubt it. It seems to me that posters here in general are realistic about the situation and understand that this would be a cap dump.
Quote:
I still bet he is worth a third.
Lol
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lol
This from the guy who has the Flames on the cusp of re-entering a rebuild. Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with my own opinion, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point, I still think Frolik is an effective player. However, I think Bennett has become a very effective player. Bennett's goals and assists haven't improved my leaps and bounds, but his ability to help the Flames exit the defensive zone with possession, enter the offensive zone with possession, and control shots for and against has improved significantly. I would argue he's now a better "two-way" winger than Frolik is. If not, its become a lot closer than it used to be.

Here's my evidence: https://public.tableau.com/shared/R4...viz_share_link.

I'm saying this because I want Bennett to move up the lineup and begin playing on the 1st line or 2nd line so that he can get more ice time. He's just gotten really good. As such, I see the top 6 forwards on this team, in no particular order, as:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Bennett

This means I don't think Frolik should be getting top 6 minutes anymore. As such, I think Frolik may have become an overly expensive luxury in the current financial context.

We can have the lines look like this:

Forwards - 49.603333

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk (7*8.5) - Backlund - Bennett (2*2.5)
Mangiapane (1*1) - Ryan - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
Hathaway (2*1) - Quine (2*0.7)

Defencemen - 26.088375

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Stone

Goalies - 5

Rittich (3*3)
Talbot (1*2)

Buyout - 1.5

Total - $82.19M

So, the Flames would still have to drop a little cash. I imagine that will come by either trading Brodie, promoting Andersson to the top pair, and having Stone play with Valimaki. Alternatively, the Flames could attach a/the draft pick they get from trading Frolik and get rid of Stone (a non cap team may be willing to pay a very small price for him?).
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #40
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Buying out Stone if we need to isn't a bad idea either.
Pending you literally cant find anyone to dump the $ on.
Quite a few teams are going to need contracts to hit the minimum at this point.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote