Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2023, 02:56 PM   #2681
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Finally a break in the schedule....

Division leading Minny
Division leading Milwaukee
$350 million payroll Mets
Defending WS champs Houston
Division leading Minny
Division leading Texas
Baltimore

Hahaha
Time to stop playing like ####, giving away runs, and essentially losing games by their own incompetence.

That’s why the Bassit start was so important and why the Vlad errors were even more damaging. Our Best starter was playing very well, with Mclanahan and Elfin coming up you have to capitalize on opportunities.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #2682
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Good thing the team decided they were going to be super serious guys this year. Really showing in their play.

*Rolls eyes right out of his ####ing head*
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #2683
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

With how good the AL East is you can't expect to make the playoffs on the backs of beating the out of division teams. You need to win some games within your own. And that's the most dissapointing thing about this most recent stretch. All teams go through slumps but when you give away games to your rivals it's almost impossible to make them up. Could be a loooonnnnggg season for Jays fans.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:19 PM   #2684
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Was Chapman throwing a shot at Schneider in the post game interview? I think it was Hazel asking about the players only team meeting and Chapman said basically "I'm not sure how you guys know that happened". This is not far removed from Schneider essentially botching a mound visit.

There is definitely a real amateur level feel to some aspects of this team. Kirks throw to first on the Lowe strike out looked like someone in rookie ball making that throw. Obviously the book is out on Kirk and his weak arm. Like I said the guy is an empty roster spot if he isn't hitting an elite level.

There is just a real lack of crispness in how the team approaches the game.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #2685
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Finally a break in the schedule....

Division leading Minny
Division leading Milwaukee
$350 million payroll Mets
Defending WS champs Houston
Division leading Minny
Division leading Texas
Baltimore

Hahaha
This upcoming stretch will tell the tale. If this team has it in them to muster a winning record over this stretch, it'll be a sign that they might be able to contend. If not, kiss the playoffs goodbye.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:14 PM   #2686
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

good hustle on the bases, then a timely hit - what is this madness?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:27 PM   #2687
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trop things
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:54 PM   #2688
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another 2-3 weeks of this type of play in this division and that will be the season. It’s still early but this is not a normal division where you can f around and figure it out by the end
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:58 PM   #2689
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Time to send Manoah down for conditioning.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:08 PM   #2690
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Tiedemann hadn't gotten hurt.

He'd likely be close to ready by now, probably have a few AAA starts under his belt. He was owning AA

Could send Manoah down to work his crap out in AAA where he isn't hurting the MLB team anymore
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #2691
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone top to bottom is to blame fairly equally. I keep saying the same things.
  • Bichette playing SS is a liability, and completely lacks defensive credibility to be playing that position. You can't tell me the guy isn't selfish playing a position he's deeply flawed at just to increase his value based on his great bat. Culturally you do wonder what that means to the rest of the team who on any team earning respect and being treated fairly is important
  • The aim to be a defensive team as a first priority is a flawed approach. I think you're subtly seeing the results with RISP when they need runs most it doesn't happen
  • "Hoping" for injury prone guys to be part of your winning plan is not a plan..it's a hope. I'm looking at their pitching makeup when I say that + Springer
  • Kirk's gotta get in shape, and so does Springer. Springer in the sense of swinging late at so many pitches and just popping it up. They don't give you that much money to giggle every pop fly catch in the OF
  • Now I'm really starting to get concerned as there aren't many prospects worth much to trade. Atkins gave away the few at the top. We can't deal Tiedmann as he's the future. Baseball doesn't have draft picks to deal so we're lumped into offloading one of the big guys in a 2 for 1. This is where Atkins generous dealing of prospects is going to bite us in the bare ass for years to come
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 07:29 PM   #2692
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Their latest loss prompted Toronto Blue Jays players to call a postgame meeting in response to a 2-9 stretch manager John Schneider described as being "punched right in the face."

"We have to get better," Schneider said after Thursday's 6-3 defeat to the Tampa Bay Rays. "When it come down to us as a staff, the expectations are put right in front of you. There is an urgency that needs to be had in order to meet those expectations. Wins and losses out the window, the last 10 days haven't been great, and I think that the urgency in which those expectations are trying to be achieved is not right there."

"Yes, that's on me and the players ... Ultimately on me." Schneider added. "When the players are recognizing that, and when the players are calling attention to that, it's going to hold a lot more weight than any one of the staff members trying to get mad or get in their face."
Uh oh.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...g-punched-face
Old 05-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #2693
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Mattingly the hitting coach? Where's the patience in their approach at the plate? HOF but I don't see the rub off on any of them.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #2694
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Isn't Mattingly the hitting coach?
Guillermo Martínez is the hitting coach.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #2695
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you have to think Guillermo Martinez might be the first domino to fall if things don't turn around quick. It won't move the needle much but Atkins will likely be desperate to keep his job as the season progresses.

It's kind of funny because the Jays offense isn't even horrible. They're just frustratingly inconsistent. And one thing Jays fans have always had to cheer for is a great offense. Even those awful two decades of darkness the Jays always had a good offense that was fun to watch.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #2696
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think the defensive shortcomings of Bo are overstated as he has been totally fine defensively this year. However I do think there is a bit of a disconnect between the team going towards improving their overall D but at the same time having no permanent option at 2nd base, Kirk who is a defensive liability and Vlad who can be a bit of an adventure at 1st. Basically Matt Chapman is the only stud on D on the infield.

Regarding our prospects: I think even when you look at the prospects dealt (Martin, Woods-Richardson, Moreno, Groshans) all at one point highly rated, really with the exception of Moreno, the others have not really had any impact at the major league level, and you're starting to see the rest of our prospect pool put up very pedestrian numbers. Espinal had a very good first half to last year and hasn't been great since, Kirk the same, Biggio is not an MLB hitter.

I think Atkins talking about waves of prospects, being hellbent on having a left handed hitter and dealing away way too much to get a not very good one, and the team all of sudden being very old in key areas, he will be toast at the end of the season.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 05-25-2023 at 07:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 08:40 PM   #2697
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss AA.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:57 PM   #2698
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I miss AA.
PSA: AA was in charge of precisely one playoff season for the Jays. (Yes I know he has won a WS). (I kind of miss him too)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:02 PM   #2699
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
PSA: AA was in charge of precisely one playoff season for the Jays. (Yes I know he has won a WS). (I kind of miss him too)

Keep in mind Roger's almost never used to spend in a serious manner. That's a more recent change.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:15 PM   #2700
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it was largely AA's team that made the playoffs in 2016 as well. He was roasted pretty hard for emptying the cupboards to make those 2 runs but they certainly worked out well all things considered. Oh and Vladdy was an AA signing. I always like the guy. He didn't pretend he was the smartest guy in the room *cough* Atkins *cough* and was more of a gambler. Sometimes it went bust, 2013, and sometimes it went boom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post: