Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default Gong Show at Theatre Junction

High drama at Calgary's Theatre Junction includes internal strife, 'toxic' workplace, deficits and a lawsuit

Calgary theatre 'on life-support' as staff leave, deficits grow and government withholds funding

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...offs-1.4754990

Quote:
Theatre Junction Grand is a non-profit organization, run by the Theatre Junction Society — a registered charity that receives hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from local, provincial and federal governments. Funds totalled $516,328 from all three levels of government last year alone. It also receives cash from individual and corporate donors.

The most recent filing with the Canada Revenue Agency shows the society lost more than $300,000 during the 2016-17 fiscal year — the fifth consecutive year a shortfall was recorded. The accumulated deficits since 2013 have reached $533,420.

During that same period the theatre took in $2,221,467 from the federal and provincial governments and the city-funded Calgary Arts Development.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Selfishly I have an event at Theatre Junction Grand in September that would suck if it were cancelled.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds like it would make for a great show. They should market this dysfunction.

"your actors are very convincing in their anger and fear!"

"Uh, actors?"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't been to this theatre, but I really like Workshop restaurant, which apparently leases its space from the society. I wonder what that means for them?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

KTrain, you should start preparing for that event to get cancelled.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

No kidding. Thankfully I'm just an attendee. I do feel for the organizers though. Events are stressful to put on without losing your location 1.5 months before.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Came for information of the Gong Show being put on stage at the Grand.

Leaving disappointed.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I haven't been to this theatre, but I really like Workshop restaurant, which apparently leases its space from the society. I wonder what that means for them?
I’ll ask. I work at Workshop
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Business as usual after talking to the owner. We’ve got a lease for the next year. Then we’ll either stay in that space or move to a different space but stay the same concept. Workshop will continue being one of the best restaurants in the city!

Just a warning though we are closing for the first two weeks of Aug since it’s pretty dead downtown during that stretch. So don’t be worried if you try to book a reso during that time and can’t. We’ll be reopening on Aug 14th I believe.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Business as usual after talking to the owner. We’ve got a lease for the next year. Then we’ll either stay in that space or move to a different space but stay the same concept. Workshop will continue being one of the best restaurants in the city!

Just a warning though we are closing for the first two weeks of Aug since it’s pretty dead downtown during that stretch. So don’t be worried if you try to book a reso during that time and can’t. We’ll be reopening on Aug 14th I believe.
Thanks! I'm actually on holidays at the time too, so I don't think I'll be around to go out for dinner anyway. We often go there for dinner before shows downtown.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote