Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #9061
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, definitely the key phrase being that if the Flames fall out of the race.

Markstrom is very good, but he has some injury issues and a track record behind him that says you can only ride him like a rented mule for so long before he breaks down. Keep him playing but give him the needed off-nights to rest and recover, and he will keep stealing a game for you that you don't deserve. Keep Rittich playing regularly, and he might do the same too.

One thing about Darryl's system and how this team is playing under that - goalies have to be a lot less the 'hero' each night. I thought Markstrom had an easy night Thursday. He had a harder night last night for sure, but not much harder (he had to make a couple of spectacular athletic saves). Playing behind a Darryl Sutter team so far will save him some wear and tear, and that's huge. Still wouldn't trade Rittich right now though. I would still be worried about riding Markstrom into the ground.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #9062
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I think it speaks more to working with what he's got. On a championship team with the right depth a guy with Backlund's skillset is a third liner. I personally feel very strongly about that. Your top two centre's have to be able to create space and score. Backlund does that in spurts but is nowhere near top two line material skillset wise. I guess some will point to points, but to me that's shooting above your weight.
You really underestimate how good Backlund is. I don't even look at the points. I look at what he does to support the defense and transition the play up. When he's at his best, that's what he's doing effectively. He's also disrupting the opposition attack in very subtle ways. Every championship team has one or two centreman like Backlund. Darry's Kings team had two Backlund types in Richards and Stoll centering the 2nd and 3rd line.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #9063
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Yeah, definitely the key phrase being that if the Flames fall out of the race.

Markstrom is very good, but he has some injury issues and a track record behind him that says you can only ride him like a rented mule for so long before he breaks down. Keep him playing but give him the needed off-nights to rest and recover, and he will keep stealing a game for you that you don't deserve. Keep Rittich playing regularly, and he might do the same too.

One thing about Darryl's system and how this team is playing under that - goalies have to be a lot less the 'hero' each night. I thought Markstrom had an easy night Thursday. He had a harder night last night for sure, but not much harder (he had to make a couple of spectacular athletic saves). Playing behind a Darryl Sutter team so far will save him some wear and tear, and that's huge. Still wouldn't trade Rittich right now though. I would still be worried about riding Markstrom into the ground.
Kipper became a star under Sutter. Quick also became a star under him. And both were workhorses. I think one of the reasons for that was team defense.

Markstrom was only tested a few times last night. You could count on one hand the number of times he was forced to move side to side or make a diving save. It was a pretty easy night for him overall.

Again, it's only been two games, but if things continue anything like this, Markstrom will be able to take a fairly heavy workload, because the games, individually, are less taxing.

I am not saying: trade Rittich and play Markstrom every night. Just saying that I am not as worried about Markstrom's workload.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #9064
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
You really underestimate how good Backlund is. I don't even look at the points. I look at what he does to support the defense and transition the play up. When he's at his best, that's what he's doing effectively. He's also disrupting the opposition attack in very subtle ways. Every championship team has one or two centreman like Backlund. Darry's Kings team had two Backlund types in Richards and Stoll centering the 2nd and 3rd line.

I'm not sure I'm underestimating him at all. At the end of the day I've said I think every team can use a guy like him on the third line. His offence skillset is limited, that's all.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #9065
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm underestimating him at all. At the end of the day I've said I think every team can use a guy like him on the third line. His offence skillset is limited, that's all.
His offensive stars are really consistent and landed him 87th amongst forwards for points last season
That’s not third line production

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 03-14-2021 at 12:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #9066
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His offensive stars are really consisted and landed him 87th amongst forwards for points last season
That’s not third line production
Also, pretty much every team now plays a 4 forward, 1 D power play now. That means that there are 124 forwards that get PP1 time.

The fact that he was 87th in points, without being on PP1, and despite being tasked with a heavy defensive, checking burden, is pretty impressive, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #9067
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

re: Backlund, because the quote button isn't working, if you look at the championship calibre teams, where would he fit in with Boston, Toronto, Colorado, Tampa, Las Vegas, etc? I do think offensively last year he punched above his weight, but skillset wise, he's not up there IMO.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #9068
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect that none of the Flames Cs are going anywhere, not unless an upgrade can be acquired somehow. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan extended if he's willing to sign for a bit of a discount to stay put. Sutter obviously loves having a Swiss army knife like him around.

The expansion draft is going to sting this time around. Especially if Sutter continues to elevate the teams overall performance which also results in more individual players standing out in a good way.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #9069
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I suspect that none of the Flames Cs are going anywhere, not unless an upgrade can be acquired somehow. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan extended if he's willing to sign for a bit of a discount to stay put. Sutter obviously loves having a Swiss army knife like him around.

The expansion draft is going to sting this time around. Especially if Sutter continues to elevate the teams overall performance which also results in more individual players standing out in a good way.
You have to wonder if Seattle would look at Ryan (like they took pending UFA Engelland). Though I think they will have better options. I was messing around with the draft simulator and there’s lots of good players.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #9070
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
re: Backlund, because the quote button isn't working, if you look at the championship calibre teams, where would he fit in with Boston, Toronto, Colorado, Tampa, Las Vegas, etc? I do think offensively last year he punched above his weight, but skillset wise, he's not up there IMO.
First off, there's only two teams in your list who have won a championship recently. Backlund has won more playoff rounds than the Leafs have.

I take Bergeron over Backlund for sure. In his prime, Krejci yes over Backlund, right now, I take Backlund.

Toronto, Matthews obviously, Tavares puts up points but in recent years, his playoff production (.66/ppg) is only marginally better than Backlunds (.60/ppg) and one player gets a ton of prime powerplay time and the other only gets scraps on the PP and gets burdened with a ton of PK time.

Colorado, Mackinnion obviously. I probably take Kadri over Backlund because I like his grit more, but Backlund has received more Selke votes than Kadri and in a playoff series, I don't think I lose much with Backlund going head to head with Kadri.

Lightning, yea Backs would probably 4th line centre there.

Vegas, honestly, I couldn't even tell you who their number 1 centre is. In a playoff series, I have no problem running Backlund up against Marchessault, Stephenson, Karlsson or Glass.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #9071
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

His 45 points would have had him tied for 2nd on the Avs forwards for points. Now that is because some of them had injuries. But he'd probably be filling the Burakovsky or Kadri role on that team and produces at a similar level.

On the Bruins he'd replace Krejci and is probably better than him at this stage.

On the leafs he would be behind the big 4 and likely the third line centre because of the unusual duo of Tavares and Matthews they have.

On Vegas he'd be right there with Karlsson (46) and Marchessault (47) in terms of forward production.

Even on good teams he slots as a top 6 forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #9072
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Sure, just saying he is not crash and bang physical type

But he is skilled and clutch

I am curious as to what you mean by he is clutch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #9073
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I am curious as to what you mean by he is clutch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He scored some big goals at the WJC

But yeah, he hasnt done much in the NHL
Old 03-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #9074
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

In what ways does Backlund not have a top-six skillset? He's a fast skater with great hands and a good shot. Plus he's skilled defensively and has the best possession rates on the team.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #9075
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You make a good point, but I would argue he's a 1b center on Vegas.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #9076
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You have to wonder if Seattle would look at Ryan (like they took pending UFA Engelland). Though I think they will have better options. I was messing around with the draft simulator and there’s lots of good players.
They'll likely scoop Kylington and sign home state boy Ryan as a UFA
Old 03-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #9077
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund has 74 points at 5v5 over the last three seasons.

That ranks him 73rd among forwards over that time.

Ahead of him are Logan Couture, Brady Tkachuk, & Filip Forsberg with 75 points, he’s tied with Evander Kane, Boeser, and Hertl. Just because I thought it was notable Bo Horvat is behind him with 72 points.

And my guess is he’s probably doing that against tough match ups than the other guys since he’s always getting the other teams top line.

So yeah his offensive talents are underrated and easily still has the skills to be a top 6 player in the league.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-14-2021 at 07:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #9078
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree, he is third line on any of those teams. He has second line skills, it’s just not his role in this team.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #9079
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Backlund has 74 points at 5v5 over the last three seasons.

That ranks him 73rd among forwards over that time.

Ahead of him are Logan Couture, Brady Tkachuk, & Filip Forsberg with 75 points, he’s tied with Evander Kane, Boeser, and Hertl. Just because I thought it was notable Bo Horvat is behind him with 72 points.

And my guess is he’s probably doing that against tough match ups than the other guys since he’s always getting the other teams top line.

So yeah his offensive talents are underrated and easily still has the skills to be a top 6 player in the league.

That’s incredible, just wow. Easily a top 6 contributor in the league at 5 on 5 while being a defensive stalwart playing against the Mathews, McDavid’s, Crosby’s, MacKinnon’s of the league..... unreal.

He catches fire in the 2nd half typically, just welcomed a new son to his family and now he has Sutter coaching him?!?!? Dude is going to unleash beast mode!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #9080
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the way Drake Batherson has been emerging what do people think about a Tkachuk for Batherson + deal?? And what would the + need to be? Adding a right handed natural Center who can play wing would be a big deal and I think we would be able to lock him up on a great long term deal. Would Ottawa be players if it meant Tkachuk bros playing together?
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread