Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #8261
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

There has to be a deal out there. Despite the much talked about obstacles with Covid and cap.

Anaheim has shown they are willing to deal.

Have to figure Nashville and Buffalo have some pressure as well.

To a lesser degree, same with NYR, Columbus and SJ.

Space out deals by 2 weeks so you aren’t faced with a depleted lineup. That being said, we arent lighting the world on fire with the guys in the lineup. But would give us as fans hope that help is on the way.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #8262
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
There has to be a deal out there. Despite the much talked about obstacles with Covid and cap.

Anaheim has shown they are willing to deal.

Have to figure Nashville and Buffalo have some pressure as well.

To a lesser degree, same with NYR, Columbus and SJ.

Space out deals by 2 weeks so you aren’t faced with a depleted lineup. That being said, we arent lighting the world on fire with the guys in the lineup. But would give us as fans hope that help is on the way.
I just don't see it. I think BT an his croney Ward will continue to preach the answers are in the room. Technically that is correct, this team could be a good team as built but not with Ward preaching dump and defend hockey. Unfortunately BT tied his horse to Ward and the season is a write off. We will just have to ride it out as fans, hopefully the GM and the coaching staff are all turfed as soon as seasons end, and we net a top 10 draft pick. We all want change but I just don't see it happening this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #8263
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to the fan there is some discussion that Buffalo might try and package Skinner with Eichel in any deal. I feel like that is the only way the Flames could make a realistic play for Eichel because the Rangers or Kings can dangle better prospects and cap flexibility but both would likely shy away from a Skinner contract.

Monahan+Gaudreau+Hanifin
For
Eichel and Skinner

Pretty much works cap wise. I doubt it is what Buffalo would be after.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #8264
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Listening to the fan there is some discussion that Buffalo might try and package Skinner with Eichel in any deal. I feel like that is the only way the Flames could make a realistic play for Eichel because the Rangers or Kings can dangle better prospects and cap flexibility but both would likely shy away from a Skinner contract.

Monahan+Gaudreau+Hanifin
For
Eichel and Skinner

Pretty much works cap wise. I doubt it is what Buffalo would be after.
Terrible deal for the Flames, if you are taking Skinner you can't give that much
Old 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #8265
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Skinner is coming along that drops the trade value of Eichel immensely. I’m sure Eichel is just thrilled to know wherever he is going there will be 9 million of dead cap following him.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #8266
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Terrible deal for the Flames, if you are taking Skinner you can't give that much
Would work a little better if the Flames ate some cap on the Gaudreau deal and the Sabres ate some cap on the Skinner deal.

I also suspect very similar to the Karlsson trade where there were rumors the Sens wanted teams to eat the Bobby Ryan contract that there is no way Buffalo dilutes the value of Eichel by trying to force Skinner into the trade. If they want to get true potential foundational pieces they trade Eichel on his own
Old 03-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #8267
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I just don't see it. I think BT an his croney Ward will continue to preach the answers are in the room. Technically that is correct, this team could be a good team as built but not with Ward preaching dump and defend hockey. Unfortunately BT tied his horse to Ward and the season is a write off. We will just have to ride it out as fans, hopefully the GM and the coaching staff are all turfed as soon as seasons end, and we net a top 10 draft pick. We all want change but I just don't see it happening this season.
Yep starting to think Ward wont go anywhere. This is what BT wants and how he wants them to play. Was anyone surprised when they hired half the Phoenix Coyotes mgmt that they would trend to become a boring hockey team to watch eventually?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #8268
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Skinner has a history of production though and he's not an old lumbering grinder. He is an elite skater. Something is wrong in Buffalo that has made his game crater.

If you can get the Sabres to retain some cap hit on Skinner, I'd do it. I think there is a bounce back with Skinner and if he does, then you can deal him away again. Besides in any deal for Eichel, you are probably losing at least 2 top six forwards so you will need another forward back.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #8269
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Skinner has a history of production though and he's not an old lumbering grinder. He is an elite skater. Something is wrong in Buffalo that has made his game crater.

If you can get the Sabres to retain some cap hit on Skinner, I'd do it. I think there is a bounce back with Skinner and if he does, then you can deal him away again. Besides in any deal for Eichel, you are probably losing at least 2 top six forwards so you will need another forward back.
One thing I was thinking was $3M retained on Skinner and Gaudreau. Buffalo has Johnny left at 3.75M for this year and next and if they wanted to retain further on his cap hit in a trade they could maximize his value and flip him in the offseason if he refuses to sign an extension. Flames then have Skinner at $6M for the remainder of his contract. A lot of dough for Buffalo to be eating.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #8270
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any theories on what went wrong with Skinner? Injuries? Mental?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #8271
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I have been big Skinner guy since day 1...but in no way, shape or form do i want anything to do with that contract...like never.

He is signed longer than Eichel...think about that. Oh...and has a NTC to boot.

Also cannot see where Buffalo would retain salary for 6 more years after this one.

But most of all....i just dont believe they will trade Eichel unless he has asked to get out, which is a small possibility.

There is no scenario where they improve their team getting rid of him though. No matter what the deal is, he will be the best player involved...by a mile im guessing.

And the oldest addage in the league for GM's making a deal is: whoever gets the best player, wins.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #8272
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Skinner HAS to be attached to Eichel, then they have to take Lucic. Is Lucic going to waive his NMC to go to Buffalo?

There’s your answer.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #8273
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If Skinner HAS to be attached to Eichel, then they have to take Lucic. Is Lucic going to waive his NMC to go to Buffalo?

There’s your answer.
If Skinner has to be attached to Eichel you just don't make a deal for Eichel. We need a deal to get significantly better, not 50% better 50% albatross.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #8274
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Are there any theories on what went wrong with Skinner? Injuries? Mental?
His first year there he scored 40 playing with Eichel, then they changed coaches.

Krueger broke the duo up and never really went back to them until Skinners confidence was blown to smithereens.

He simply hasn't been the same since but Im still left wondering if its entirely between the ears or if there is a physical component as well.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #8275
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going to sound condescending here but are some of you nuts? Add another dead weight contract in Skinner, to the team? Wow. He may have upside, but not $9M upside. Between Lucic’s contract and a few others who may be overpaid this would cripple the team for years to come. Choose your choice of the best player in the league and attach that contract to go with him and it’s still not worth taking any overweight contracts on. The cap contracts have played a huge part in why the team is where it is. There are other fish not as big as Eichel who would be more effective without taking on such silliness.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #8276
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bored this morning so for ####s and giggles.

To Buffalo: Monahan + Tkachuk + Lucic
To Calgary: Eichel + Skinner (25% retained) + Middelstadt (still has a chance to become a #2C)
1.0M savings

To Vancouver: Bennett + Hanifin
To Calgary: Boeser
1.65M Savings

Players in: Eichel, Boeser, Skinner, Mittelstadt
Players out: Monahan, Tkachuk, Hanifin, Bennett, Lucic
Cap Savings: $2.65M

Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm
Skinner-Middelstadt-Boeser
Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Leivo
Phillips

Giordano-Tanev
Valimaki-andersson
Kylington-Nesterov
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

Something like that.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #8277
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Only two trading options for Skinner. To a terrible team that needs to meet the cap floor, right after Buffalo pays one of his 7.5mil signing bonuses, or to one of the few major teams that repeatedly get away with cap circumvention who will then him on LTIR for something.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #8278
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If Skinner has to be attached to Eichel you just don't make a deal for Eichel. We need a deal to get significantly better, not 50% better 50% albatross.
This. I love the thought of getting Eichel, but that Skinner albatross is real hard to stomach. Especially when we know it's going to be a flat cap for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #8279
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Was listening to 960 this morning, and the guys were just blasting the Sabres roster (and rightfully so). Looking at their 4 highest paid forwards, they have 3 goals and a $33M cap hit.. yikes.

Eichel - $10M - 2 goals
Skinner - $9M - 0 goals
Hall - $8M - 1 goal
Okposo - $6M - 0 goals

How is that even possible
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #8280
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are we even sure they would do any better here ? I keep seeing all theses posts bla bla we need a leader like Eichel yadda yadda. If he cant get Buff out of the dumpster would he be any better here? He cant drag a team on his back like McDavid can.
Closed Thread