Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #8101
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I take it you don’t want Eichel. Check out when he had his last 5 on 5 goals. One in January 2021. The one before that, Feb. 13, 2020.
This criteria only applies to CURRENT Flames. Grass is always greener.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #8102
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the hell are two players who are 14th and 18th in scoring at their positions over their careers, and a measly 21 points apart, not be considered in the same range? It isn't pumping Monahan's tires, its pumping the breaks on the gross misrepresentation of what Jack Eichel is. He is talked about here like he's in the same class as McDavid and Crosby, which he is clearly not. When you are 158 points behind a guy in scoring you are not in the same class. When you're only 21 points apart from a guy, you're in the same conversation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #8103
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are pages and pages of arguments both ways. No need for more, I stated my opinion and I will let time speak for itself.

As for Eichel, I never said a ward about him, but IMO he is leaps and bounds better than Monahan. Buffalo won't trade him anyways so its a moot point.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #8104
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
How the hell are two players who are 14th and 18th in scoring at their positions over their careers, and a measly 21 points apart, not be considered in the same range? It isn't pumping Monahan's tires, its pumping the breaks on the gross misrepresentation of what Jack Eichel is. He is talked about here like he's in the same class as McDavid and Crosby, which he is clearly not. When you are 158 points behind a guy in scoring you are not in the same class. When you're only 21 points apart from a guy, you're in the same conversation.
How bout those highlights though?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #8105
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Some fun notes from the Athletic this morning, this is their trade board article by Duhatschek & Custance

On Eichel:

But not everybody is convinced the Rangers should be the front-runner if Eichel hits the market. One source pointed out that they don’t have the high-end center it would take for an Eichel trade to make sense for the Sabres. Instead, he thought the Kings were a better match.

“LA is a team that people should be looking long and hard with (Quinton) Byfield, (Alex) Turcotte and plenty of other pieces,” he said. “And does Buffalo really want to play against this guy a bunch every year or do they want him in the Western Conference?”

Another fun debate centers around what it might take to acquire a franchise center like Eichel. “I would give up a lot for him. Talent-wise, he’s a top 10 forward in the league,” said another executive. “If they want to trade him, they are going to get a lot for him.”

On Sam Bennett:

The Flames are not giving him away and if they can’t get a decent return for Bennett, they might just cut their losses and leave him available for Seattle at the expansion draft. As of right now, the asking price sounds higher than what teams are willing to pay. Said one Eastern Conference executive on Bennett’s value: “Not nearly what (GM Brad Treliving) thinks it is. But I don’t blame him.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #8106
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This criteria only applies to CURRENT Flames. Grass is always greener.
Yeah, this is the bad part of sports. People either fall in love with players on their team or learn to hate them for many times no reason. We all do it. We are all disappointed about last year's playoffs and are willing to last out at every player we can possibly blame for the debacle instead of acknowledging that we got outplayed and had no answers for the changes Dallas made to neutralize us. Monahan is a good target right now because he's made a commitment to being a better two way player to silence his critics. All that has done is feed them that much more because they expect him to be scoring and defensively responsible at the same time, not understanding that it is difficult to be in deep in the offensive zone trying to score, and then be first man back to help the defense. The fans want superman and those players don't exist. In an effort to prove these guys are around a poster had to go back to the turn of the century and pick a long retired HHOF player to make their point, not recognizing that made mine just that much better.

When fans are frustrated they do start looking over the fence and admiring the apparent greenness of the neighbor's lawn. What they don't do is compare the situations. How hard does that neighbor work to maintain that grass. How much do they spend? Is it even the same type of grass? Is it just died or chemically treated? Or is it astroturf? When you gaze over that fence you better do your homework and know what you're getting in return. That's the challenge we're facing here IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #8107
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
On Sam Bennett:

The Flames are not giving him away and if they can’t get a decent return for Bennett, they might just cut their losses and leave him available for Seattle at the expansion draft. As of right now, the asking price sounds higher than what teams are willing to pay. Said one Eastern Conference executive on Bennett’s value: “Not nearly what (GM Brad Treliving) thinks it is. But I don’t blame him.”
That is just sad to read. Another "cut your nose off to spite your face" moment. Treliving really needs to go. Get what you can for Bennett and move the #### on. He's not helping and we need the assets to restock the system. Make the damn move.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #8108
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

On Sam Bennett:

I am wondering of Treliving is not budging on anything less than a first. We know that is overpayment for regular season Bennett, but I guarantee he is using those playoff numbers to pump up his value and with good reason.

If injuries start to happen, then I wouldn’t be surprised if a contending team got desperate.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #8109
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is just sad to read. Another "cut your nose off to spite your face" moment. Treliving really needs to go. Get what you can for Bennett and move the #### on. He's not helping and we need the assets to restock the system. Make the damn move.
Why would we move Bennett just for the sake of moving him? It’s a good thing you’re not GM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #8110
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well you move Bennett so this situation doesn't become a distraction. If it isn't already. It's just not a good idea to keep him, especially with the production you get from him.

If you just give him away to Seattle then why hold off for a ransom trade? This is like Burke holding out on Camalleri trades only to lose him for nothing.

Wonder what offers he is receiving.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #8111
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't you know, he is the smartest GM in the league and knows values of players better than anyone else. It's why he can't get any deals done any has kept the same crap core for a few years. One day there will be another GM as smart as Treliving and a deal will be done.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #8112
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some fun notes from the Athletic this morning, this is their trade board article by Duhatschek & Custance

On Eichel:

But not everybody is convinced the Rangers should be the front-runner if Eichel hits the market. One source pointed out that they don’t have the high-end center it would take for an Eichel trade to make sense for the Sabres. Instead, he thought the Kings were a better match.

“LA is a team that people should be looking long and hard with (Quinton) Byfield, (Alex) Turcotte and plenty of other pieces,” he said. “And does Buffalo really want to play against this guy a bunch every year or do they want him in the Western Conference?”

Another fun debate centers around what it might take to acquire a franchise center like Eichel. “I would give up a lot for him. Talent-wise, he’s a top 10 forward in the league,” said another executive. “If they want to trade him, they are going to get a lot for him.”

On Sam Bennett:

That's what I said yesterday, if forced to trade Eichel the Sabres would rather send him out west I'm sure, and the Kings have high end C prospects to tempt them with.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #8113
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But what if you’re getting no assets.

Does moving Bennett or a 3rd or 4th round pick really do anything?

Just makes the team have even worse forward depth this season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #8114
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think it puts any Eichel deal into perspective because it makes sense.

Do you have a young potential #1 center you can deal? Along with other high end pieces? No? Move along.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #8115
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, this is the bad part of sports. People either fall in love with players on their team or learn to hate them for many times no reason. We all do it. We are all disappointed about last year's playoffs and are willing to last out at every player we can possibly blame for the debacle instead of acknowledging that we got outplayed and had no answers for the changes Dallas made to neutralize us. Monahan is a good target right now because he's made a commitment to being a better two way player to silence his critics. All that has done is feed them that much more because they expect him to be scoring and defensively responsible at the same time, not understanding that it is difficult to be in deep in the offensive zone trying to score, and then be first man back to help the defense. The fans want superman and those players don't exist. In an effort to prove these guys are around a poster had to go back to the turn of the century and pick a long retired HHOF player to make their point, not recognizing that made mine just that much better.

When fans are frustrated they do start looking over the fence and admiring the apparent greenness of the neighbor's lawn. What they don't do is compare the situations. How hard does that neighbor work to maintain that grass. How much do they spend? Is it even the same type of grass? Is it just died or chemically treated? Or is it astroturf? When you gaze over that fence you better do your homework and know what you're getting in return. That's the challenge we're facing here IMO.
Its comical you actually believe Eichel and Monahan are even remotely in the same class. Hey I googled their stats, they seem pretty close (Monahan 0.76 ppg, Eichel 0.95 ppg), same category .

Personally I want a #1 C who drives play, can skate with the puck, excels at zone entry, has high hockey IQ, none of which Monahan can do. These are traits most teams look for in a #1 C. Monahan is what he is, the skill set of a winger who prefers playing the middle of the ice, thats better suited for a 2nd line role.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #8116
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
But what if you’re getting no assets.

Does moving Bennett or a 3rd or 4th round pick really do anything?

Just makes the team have even worse forward depth this season.
If a player doesn't want to play for your team, get rid of him. It's pretty simple. This is not a star (e.g. Dubois or Laine) we are talking about.

It's Sam Bennett - a player who in his career (6 seasons, so he is no longer a rookie) has averaged about 28 points over an 82 game span. He is also on pace for his worst season statistically this year (16 points over 82 games).

If someone gives you a 3rd round pick for a fringe player like Bennett, you take it and run. The only reason someone is giving up even a 3rd is because of his success in the playoffs. Otherwise, every team already has players like Bennett who can come in and score a few points during the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #8117
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of hating players...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #8118
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If a player doesn't want to play for your team, get rid of him. It's pretty simple. This is not a star (e.g. Dubois or Laine) we are talking about.

It's Sam Bennett - a player who in his career (6 seasons, so he is no longer a rookie) has averaged about 28 points over an 82 game span. He is also on pace for his worst season statistically this year (16 points over 82 games).

If someone gives you a 3rd round pick for a fringe player like Bennett, you take it and run. The only reason someone is giving up even a 3rd is because of his success in the playoffs. Otherwise, every team already has players like Bennett who can come in and score a few points during the season.
Let's be clear here: you have no idea what the market is for Sam Bennett right now, and based on the bits from reports we have seen it does seem like a few teams are interested enough in him to move more than just a third round pick.

There is no present urgency to trade him right now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #8119
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he can’t get back a capable 3rd liner why move him now? They move him for a pick and we will be seeing Simon playing full time. That guy shouldn’t be in the nhl. Better off waiting to trade deadline and see where they sit .
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #8120
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Its comical you actually believe Eichel and Monahan are even remotely in the same class. Hey I googled their stats, they seem pretty close (Monahan 0.76 ppg, Eichel 0.95 ppg), same category .

Personally I want a #1 C who drives play, can skate with the puck, excels at zone entry, has high hockey IQ, none of which Monahan can do. These are traits most teams look for in a #1 C. Monahan is what he is, the skill set of a winger who prefers playing the middle of the ice, thats better suited for a 2nd line role.
A. “Drives play” is such an overused and vague term. What you really mean is he doesn’t dangle. But Monahan is typically the outlet pass and a guy who decides where the play is going. Does he defer to Gaudreau to carry? Sure, why not?

B. Skates with the puck. No, not a lot, but more than I bet you are imagining.

C. Zone entry? Monahan and Gaudreau, when working well, are a one piece zone entry. Gaudreau's either crosses the blue line and passes right away to Monahan or he passes across the line to Monahan, who is skating up on it.

D. High Hockey IQ? Monahan has a great hockey IQ. I think it’s as high as Gaudreau’s. Monahan knows where to go, how to find soft spots, he passes very well in a cycle, he is the axis point in the power play because of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread