Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #8001
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one disagrees with the fact Monahan isn’t an elite C and you would want a better one to win the cup. Or, like they were trying to achieve another C at his level to give a one-two punch. That doesn’t change the fact he is underrated here for what he brings. He’s not just a tap-in machine for Gaudreau.
Underrated? In terms of what? Contributing to a consistently mediocre team? Great without him the Flames are bad vs average with him, am I supposed to be happy about that? The hole at his position is a main reason why they are mediocre, agree its not his fault, he is what he is. I should be more upset at the organization who actually thinks he is the answer at #1 C to get them to the next level.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #8002
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yeah, to get a guy like Eichel, you do whatever it takes.

Tkachuk and Lindholm. I think that's what it will take and I'm fine with that cost. Maybe you get an extra small piece in return with Eichel.
Buffalo are in need of a LD.

I would rather keep Lindholm if we were to pay our top center $10m

Tkachuk, Monahan and Valimaki

for

Eichel and Miller

I think Buffalo listens for this offer, it's probably the best offer they could get. I absolutely would hate to lose Tkachuk and Valimaki "could" make me regret this but Eichel is not the type of player we can even hope to draft in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #8003
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
So I'm supposed to take that comment as a positive when the bar is that low? Great Monahan chips in on the power play in the playoffs and is terrible in every other situation. The Flames are going places with that standard!
I agree, overall the body of work is not great. It just strikes me as hypocritical to assign all of this team's struggles to his shortcomings when virtually every other player on the roster has the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #8004
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Underrated? In terms of what? Contributing to a consistently mediocre team? Great without him the Flames are bad vs average with him, am I supposed to be happy about that? The hole at his position is a main reason why they are mediocre, agree its not his fault, he is what he is. I should be more upset at the organization who actually thinks he is the answer at #1 C to get them to the next level.
Literally nobody cares what you are or are not happy about. Yes, Monahan could be approved upon, but nearly half the 1st line Centers in the last 4 or 5 years of Finals have been in the same tier as Monahan. It’s not like you can’t get there if he’s your guy, you just need more.

Maybe over the 30 years you should have peeped some of the playoffs here and there. They’re pretty fun to watch!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #8005
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I agree, overall the body of work is not great. It just strikes me as hypocritical to assign all of this team's struggles to his shortcomings when virtually every other player on the roster has the same problems.
Well its because he is the #1 C. I agree most of the team struggles but most playoff teams can't wait to throw out their 1st line on the ice, to generate some momentum, carry play, create some scoring chances, drive play, and that simply doesn't happen for the Flames.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #8006
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The one guy that I think may be available is Larkin. Somewhat plateaued and Detroit still needs another 3 years of drafting.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #8007
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Larkin was Detroit centerpiece in the rebuild? At least I thought I said that.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #8008
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I'm supposed to take that comment as a positive when the bar is that low? Great Monahan chips in on the power play in the playoffs and is terrible in every other situation. The Flames are going places with that standard!

In 30 playoff games,

Johnny has 6 ES points and 13 PP points, Minus 8.

Sean has 8 ES points and 13 PP points, Minus 6
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #8009
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I thought Larkin was Detroit centerpiece in the rebuild? At least I thought I said that.
Larkin is already 24-years-old. I would imagine that by the time the Red Wings will be in their competitive window he would be an auxiliary piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #8010
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Literally nobody cares what you are or are not happy about. Yes, Monahan could be approved upon, but nearly half the 1st line Centers in the last 4 or 5 years of Finals have been in the same tier as Monahan. It’s not like you can’t get there if he’s your guy, you just need more.

Maybe over the 30 years you should have peeped some of the playoffs here and there. They’re pretty fun to watch!
Yes and your words are so highly regarded. I will disagree with the "it’s not like you can’t get there if he’s your guy, you just need more". Also are you a Flames fan? Over the last 30 years the playoffs have been fun to watch? Try a playoff, maybe 2 playoffs.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #8011
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
In 30 playoff games,

I'm not here saying JG is good either. They are both bad but I think the main reason for that is Monahan's inabilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #8012
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
You put Eichel in the same class as Monahan, but you don’t think Buffalo would trade Eichel for a 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, Noah Hanifin, Sam Bennett, Jakob Pelletier, and Derek Ryan...wow.
Yeah, Buffalo passes on that because they get nothing back that helps them right now. It's a bag of ####ing magic beans. They don't need Hanifin, they need proven quantities up front, and right now. Would you take Brandon Montour, Casey Middlestadt, Cody Eakin with Eric Staal's salary, Ryan Johnson, and a three draft picks for Monahan, knowing we are hoping to make the playoffs this year? Don't be dense.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #8013
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
In 30 playoff games,

And more facts here. Eichel has done ZERO in the post season. Hasn't played a game. Hasn't even come close to getting his team near the post season. Eichel is a figment of a lot of people's imaginations. He's with Monahan smack dab in the middle of the second tier of centers in the NHL. Until Eichel steps up and shows he's this mythical player people keep pumping up, he's nothing that much different from the guy we have. 21 points separate them, and the guy with fewer has managed to be the number one center on a playoff team multiple times during his career. I'm open to trading Monahan, and even trading him for Eichel, but the expectations and understanding of what we are getting back in return need to be reigned the hell in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #8014
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not here saying JG is good either. They are both bad but I think the main reason for that is Monahan's inabilities.
I don’t think that is fair. They are each immensely responsible for their performances and should be equally accountable.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #8015
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Half of the top centers?

Out of the ten top centers I can think of two and in some cases he's not even on par with the 2nd line centers of these teams, think Pittsburgh and Washington.

Crosby
Thornton

Crosby
Forsberg

Kuznetsov
Karlsson

O'Reilly
Bergeron

Point
Seguin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #8016
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Half of the top centers?

Out of the ten top centers I can think of two and in some cases he's not even on par with the 2nd line centers of these teams, think Pittsburgh and Washington.

Crosby
Thornton

Crosby
Forsberg

Kuznetsov
Karlsson

O'Reilly
Bergeron

Point
Seguin
Bergeron and O’Reilly are better than Monahan but not because of offence. And Kuznetsov probably has the same things said about him as Monahan - reliant on a winger. Backstrom is having a much better year than him this year, even without his injury.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #8017
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I watch plenty of hockey, thanks.

Let's gain some perspective her on exactly what it is I have been saying: my point is not that Monahan is an elite-level player—far from it. My point is rather that he is MUCH better than some posters give him credit for—that he is a very good player in his own right who is integral to the team's offence, and not simply dependent on Gaudreau.
He is pretty dependent on Gaudreau though. Monahan has a very hard time with carrying the puck and gaining zone entry. A pretty critical part of being able to provide offence.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #8018
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
A few facts here.

Since Jack Eichel came into the league he's played 387 games and has scored 139 goals and 212 assists for 351 points (14th for centers). He's playing 20:20 a game. Eichel has some serious challenges to his game. He's only a 44.1% faceoff guy. He's also terrible defensively being an incredible -66. He is very good, but he does nothing at the elite level.

Comparatively, Sean Monahan played 405 games and has scored 145 goals and 185 assists for 330 points (18th for centers). He's playing 18:31 a game. Monahan is a 51% faceoff guy. He's a -14 player.

Jack Eichel is NOT Connor McDavid. Not even close. In that same time frame McHobo has played played 374 games and has scored 176 goals and 333 assists for 509 points. The spread between Eichel and Monahan is 21 points. The spread between Eichel and McHobo is 158 points.

Eichel and Monahan are very comparable. Style of play is different, but production is very similar. Those who believe that Eichel comes here and turns into the answer to McHobo are in for a massive disappointment. Eichel is a very good player, but not in that same class as McHobo. Eichel is in the same band of players as Seguin, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Toews, Schenn, and Couturier.
Lmao, if you think Eichel and Monahan are comparable I don't know what to say. Monahan has also had much better linemates than Jack Eichel..Go to any hockey expert and ask them if Monahan is on the same level as Eichel and you will get laughed out of the room. Monahan is a good player but this is just a flat out ridiculous comparison.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #8019
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lmao, if you think Eichel and Monahan are comparable I don't know what to say. Monahan has also had much better linemates than Jack Eichel..Go to any hockey expert and ask them if Monahan is on the same level as Eichel and you will get laughed out of the room. Monahan is a good player but this is just a flat out ridiculous comparison.
This. The comparison being made is a joke.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #8020
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Bergeron and O’Reilly are better than Monahan but not because of offence. And Kuznetsov probably has the same things said about him as Monahan - reliant on a winger. Backstrom is having a much better year than him this year, even without his injury.
I would rickshaw Monahan to the airport and pay for the flight for Kuznetsov
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread