Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 PM   #7061
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when JG was "figured out" and his career as a high end player was over according to some on here. Give Tkachuk some time he is in a bit of a slump

10 points in 13 games slump lol
Old 02-13-2021, 12:12 AM   #7062
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I remember when JG was "figured out" and his career as a high end player was over according to some on here. Give Tkachuk some time he is in a bit of a slump

I don't think anybody here is saying his career as a high end player is over, I certainly am not. He is a real good player but also overrated IMO on this board. I don't think if your team is to be a true Stanley Cup contender, he can be your #1 forward (same goes for JG for different reasons). I'm also not basing this on a 13 game sample size, more from his full body of work. The average skating ability really hinders Chucky in the playoffs, when the hockey is faster. That doesn't mean he can't be affective player in the spring but just don't see him being able to be the go to guy. He is young enough that hopefully he can continue to work that out and improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #7063
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

He’s not the best forward on the team. He just isn’t. Gaudreau and Lindholm are.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #7064
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
He’s not the best forward on the team. He just isn’t. Gaudreau and Lindholm are.
Well he is payed like it. Going to be a 9M player in a year and a half.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #7065
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Matthew Tkachuk is having a perfectly fine season. At 5 v 5, he has been on the ice for 8 goals for and 3 goals against. That's better than expected. He's only expected to be on the ice for 55.63% of goals.

Basically, the only line that is doing better than the Tkachuk - Lindholm - ? line is the Lucic - Backlund - Mangiapane line. Mangiapane is expected to be on ice for 68.30% of goals! What a 6th round pick!
Old 02-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #7066
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon26 After the retirement of Mikko Koivu the Columbus Blue Jackets are looking for a cente

Quote:
Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen has reached out to the Calgary Flames about forward Sam Bennett, who plays both centre and the wing, but he isn’t the only one. TFP reported last week the Toronto Maple Leafs have also expressed some level of interest in Bennett, while the Anaheim Ducks have also been linked to the 24-year-old.

The Blue Jackets have a lot of salary cap flexibility, should they decide to acquire a player with a decent-sized contract, but it’s unclear what type of assets they’re willing to part with for a centre.
https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-...k-for-a-centre
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #7067
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Well he is payed like it. Going to be a 9M player in a year and a half.
Which is basically my only concern with the player. That contract scares me.

Lindholm is our best forward. Not sure why so many were quick to dismiss Montanans success because of Johnny, but Tkachuk is playing on a forward group with all 3 of them. He isn’t the guy. And if he was, his production would take a hit.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #7068
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I look forward to seeing Sam take an offensive zone penalty in his first period and getting benched by torts for the rest of the game. He can sit and chat with Laine.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #7069
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Part of what made him good prior to last season is his ability to work his butt off and then draw penalties.

With some of the notoriety and antics he's entangled himself in, the refs have turned the tables. Not only are refs not wanting to be calling penalties committed on Tkachuk, feeling maybe duped from prior years, he's now getting zero leeway and penalties like the one against the Oilers are getting called.

That has to be in his head, and affecting the way he's used to approaching and playing the game since he got to the NHL. Mix in his short fuse and in addition to the refs "figuring him out" the other teams seem to have too, to get him off his game.
Sounds true. And it’s something he can play through and get past (and some thing which would not get better through benching).
Old 02-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #7070
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I think of the main reasons why JG is excelling this year is because he has adjusted his game. He's shooting first way more. He's not relying on some of of his past "go to moves" as in the past. He's being more aggressive entering the zone to drive to scoring areas instead of button hooking.

I do think teams had figured him out and he hadn't re-adjusted. Now he has - and it's paying dividends.

But there is no need to overstate or exaggerate the opinions of people who were pointing out valid concerns with Johnny's game and his failure to adjust last season. Let's just be happy that he seems to have evolved his game this year - which is fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #7071
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think of the main reasons why JG is excelling this year is because he has adjusted his game. He's shooting first way more. He's not relying on some of of his past "go to moves" as in the past. He's being more aggressive entering the zone to drive to scoring areas instead of button hooking.

I do think teams had figured him out and he hadn't re-adjusted. Now he has - and it's paying dividends.

But there is no need to overstate or exaggerate the opinions of people who were pointing out valid concerns with Johnny's game and his failure to adjust last season. Let's just be happy that he seems to have evolved his game this year - which is fantastic.
It also helps when you get to play Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton repeatedly.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #7072
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t Friedman say that the flames and Avs pretty much had a trade done for Bennett , but covid got in the way? Avs are getting back to practice this weekend. If it was close , like Friedman said, wouldn’t that trade be happening now? What would have changed from them to now? It’s not like Bennett has been lighting it up on Johnny line. He is a better fit than Leivo and Simon, but that’s not saying much. My guess Friedman made the whole thing up.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #7073
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett and a 2nd to Columbus for Bjorkstrand? Can't see any reason for Columbus to do it, but would be a fit cap wise and meet the Flames most pressing need. Maybe try and shake Foudy loose with a similar offer? If Texier wasn't a walking injury ward he would be an interesting pickup, although a left hand shot. Maybe go for a more a futures trade and do Bennett for Kirill Marchenko straight up?

Don't see anything from Toronto that is interesting, at all. Anaheim is a better fit, but there would have to be some work done on the cap. Rakell or Silfverberg would be a good add, but the cap imbalance may be tough. Flames would have to add a kicker to make a deal work value wise as well.

A team I would talk to is the Rangers. See if they can shake loose Julien Gauthier. Big RW that is a smart player. Maybe go after a guy like Austin Rueschhoff, another huge RW but with limited pro experience. Someone with size a natural right hand shot is a pressing need on this team.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #7074
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Didn’t Friedman say that the flames and Avs pretty much had a trade done for Bennett , but covid got in the way? Avs are getting back to practice this weekend. If it was close , like Friedman said, wouldn’t that trade be happening now? What would have changed from them to now? It’s not like Bennett has been lighting it up on Johnny line. He is a better fit than Leivo and Simon, but that’s not saying much. My guess Friedman made the whole thing up.
I don't think he made it up. I think he may have overstated how close the deal was to being completed, but he also said that this was just his "sense" of what was happening, and not a hard fact. I also think fans exaggerated what he said about it to conclude things that weren't there to begin with.

I would imagine that with tbe team playing better there is less pressure for Treliving to get a deal done quickly. I would guess that Bennett is not moved until the TD at the earliest, and likely not until the off-season.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #7075
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Would you pay him $9M for what he brings to the table?
I would look at his entire body of work and how he is playing recently.....when that time arrives.

Im not taking a month of play during a pandemic in a screwed up season that is anything but normal and making that decision based on that.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #7076
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Stupid question but has there ever been a trade scenario where a team trades a player and the other team takes on a portion of a players contract on the other team?

Example

To CBJ Sam Bennett
To CGY 2.5m for 2 years on Lucic’s salary.

Could make Lucic trade or Seattle expansion much more favourable.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #7077
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It also helps when you get to play Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton repeatedly.
The Peg is no pushover this season, and we've only played Edmonton once.
...the 'Yucks I will grant to you.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #7078
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Bennett and a 2nd to Columbus for Bjorkstrand? Can't see any reason for Columbus to do it, but would be a fit cap wise and meet the Flames most pressing need. Maybe try and shake Foudy loose with a similar offer? If Texier wasn't a walking injury ward he would be an interesting pickup, although a left hand shot. Maybe go for a more a futures trade and do Bennett for Kirill Marchenko straight up?

Don't see anything from Toronto that is interesting, at all. Anaheim is a better fit, but there would have to be some work done on the cap. Rakell or Silfverberg would be a good add, but the cap imbalance may be tough. Flames would have to add a kicker to make a deal work value wise as well.

A team I would talk to is the Rangers. See if they can shake loose Julien Gauthier. Big RW that is a smart player. Maybe go after a guy like Austin Rueschhoff, another huge RW but with limited pro experience. Someone with size a natural right hand shot is a pressing need on this team.
Bjorkstrand is their leading scorer though. Doubt they'd move him especially since he just re-signed with them.

Speaking of the Jackets and a change of scenery trade, look at what Roslovic has done since the trade, 9 points in 8 games. That's the risk you take with trading Bennett, I'm not saying you don't do it, but you have to get maximal value for him.

At Roslovic's current pace, he could be worth Dubois alone.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #7079
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I also think the Ryan injury plays into it. If any trade goes down now, Flames are down TWO regulars, not one, because whoever they get for Bennett will have to sit for 14 day quarantine.

Flames would have to run with a 4th line of Simon-Froese-Nordstrom for a bit with Leivo up on Johnny's line. I don't think it's that bad a scenario, but the Flames better be getting good value for Bennett.

The other thing to consider is long term effects of Covid on a player that has been infected. I think that has to be considered when you are acquiring a player and so any trade with a team that has had players go through the Covid protocal, I'd be thinking twice about, I'd need to see said player in action for a few weeks first to make sure they are still the same player they were before Covid.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #7080
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would look at his entire body of work and how he is playing recently.....when that time arrives.

Im not taking a month of play during a pandemic in a screwed up season that is anything but normal and making that decision based on that.
Neither am I. The number has seemed daunting to me since it was announced that would be his qualifying offer. I can’t be alone there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread