Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Johnny Gaudreau for the Hart Trophy

We're past the halfway point of the season, and it looks like Johnny Gaudreau is making a pretty strong case for the Hart Trophy.

The Hart Memorial Trophy, which basically goes to the league MVP, has existed since 1923. It is somewhat surprising that no Flame has ever won it. Jarome Iginla probably should have won it during the 2001-2002 season. Of course we all know what happened that year.

The league's top 5 scorers at the moment:

1. Nikita Kucherov - 75 points
2. Mikko Rantanen - 68 points
3. Johnny Gaudreau - 67 points
3. Connor McDavid - 67 points
5. Nathan MacKinnon - 66 points

Then there's a bit of a gap. Point is next with 61 points. Kane has 60.
There's also some talk for Ovechkin, since he leads the league in goals.

I have a feeling that Rantanen and MacKinnon will cancel each other out in terms of votes. Unless one of them separates themselves, I don't see either of them winning. There's also a chance that Colorado will miss the playoffs.

McDavid may be the best player offensively, but the Oilers are no good. I could see McDavid winning if the Oilers squeak into the playoffs and McDavid leads the league in points. But those are two big ifs.

Beyond that, I think it goes down to Kucherov or Gaudreau. Kucherov currently has quite a few more points than anyone else, but Tampa is a fantastic team with a lot of high-end depth. Calgary also has good high-end skill, but you could argue that the Flames need Gaudreau more than the Lightning need Kucherov.

I honestly think Giordano should also been in the Hart conversation, but I don't see that happening.

Do you think he'll win it?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Dave Poulin on TSN for him it was Johnny’s at the midway point; then idiot Rod Smith chimes in by saying ‘Let me play Connors advocate, he’s in on more; a higher percentage of his teams goals, well over 50 percent, that’s more than even Gaudreau, so why not him?’

Linkage
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yes and yesterday my friend (a Bruin fan) was saying this too so it's not just Flames fans thinking it.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gaudreau should win it hands down. I think because the media fellates McJesus no matter what he does he will win it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing Kucherov and Gaudreau, their +/- and PS are almost identical.

Johnny has more goals, Nikita has more assists.

Johnny has more GWG.

Gonna be tough...think these two are the main ones in the Hart conversation from the list you gave. Not sure if they will consider Giordano for the Hart.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mcdavid is gonna win it. Once the pressure is off next month he will start stat padding hard to get both the art ross and hart.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

A player’s value has to translate into team success in my opinion to warrant consideration for such an award. Making the playoffs should be a bare minimum. But if a player is performing at an exceptional level and they are a driving force (like a Gaudreau is) for a team to reach new heights, then that really should be a deciding factor.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Watching Dave Poulin on TSN for him it was Johnny’s at the midway point; then idiot Rod Smith chimes in by saying ‘Let me play Connors advocate, he’s in on more; a higher percentage of his teams goals, well over 50 percent, that’s more than even Gaudreau, so why not him?’

Linkage
The fact McDavid is in on over 50% of their goals is more an indictment of how poor their secondary scoring is. If there was a stat for points per minutes played he would drop below a lot of players because the Oilers play him 23 minutes per game out of necessity. I would hope any intelligent voter would realize that. Gaudreau is also involved in a high percentage of Flames goals and the difference is that the Flames have considerably better scoring depth.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Gaudreau's greatest challenge is that there are 4 other Flames on a PPG pace. Giordano, particularly is having an amazing season. Gaudreau is having an amazing season but the contributions from Tkachuk and Giordano will lead to the perception that Gaudreau is less crucial to the success of the Flames than other teams' #1 players.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is going to be in TOUGH against competition like Kucherov and MacKinnon. Those are the 3 front-runners IMO, and all worthy of winning it at this point.

If Calgary can finish at the top of the conference and Johnny continues to be the catalyst and driving force of the Flames offence, and if he can stay within 5 points of the league leaders, he has an excellent shot at the Hart.

All that said, if he wins the Lindsay it will mean much more to me...and I'm sure to him as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think Gaudreau should win it hands down. I think because the media fellates McJesus no matter what he does he will win it.
He didn't win it last year.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames get snubbed for the heavy weight Trophies

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The fact McDavid is in on over 50% of their goals is more an indictment of how poor their secondary scoring is. If there was a stat for points per minutes played he would drop below a lot of players because the Oilers play him 23 minutes per game out of necessity. I would hope any intelligent voter would realize that. Gaudreau is also involved in a high percentage of Flames goals and the difference is that the Flames have considerably better scoring depth.
I’ve seen lots of people spouting this reason for why McDavid is better - “he’s been in on 53% of their goals.”, etc.

Why do we reward a player in voting simply because the rest of their team is worse? That doesn’t make sense.

Admittedly, McDavid is the best player in the league on the rush - handling the puck at speed. However, once the puck is in the zone, Gaudreau and others are better.

A bunch of players are more effective in scoring points in the time they have on the ice. Frankly, McDavid plays too many minutes. I’ve watched quite a bit of Oilers games this year, thanks to having an Oiler fan wife. McDavid floats around at half speed LOTS of the time. Half speed McDavid isn’t particularly scary. If he played less minutes, he could probably be more effective in those minutes.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames players are matching scoring records of the 96 Penguins and they have one all star. Anyone expecting major awards should prepare to be dissapointed
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
He is going to be in TOUGH against competition like Kucherov and MacKinnon. Those are the 3 front-runners IMO, and all worthy of winning it at this point.
Yeah the McDavid talk is nonsense. There are several season MVP caliber players in the league right now. Even Brayden Point has more of a case than McDavid.

I don’t see why you should ever win the Hart without making the playoffs.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames players are matching scoring records of the 96 Penguins and they have one all star. Anyone expecting major awards should prepare to be dissapointed
I think the all-star thing is dictated by stupid format considerations
- Sharks getting 3 for being at home
- The 1 Rep per team rule
- The last player also being a fan vote

I think that will be different for the major awards.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #17
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
We don’t have many of the flashy dynamic type players. And really, that’s what other teams fans appreciate in a player. As they only see them in highlights.

If Monahan ever went goal for goal with Ovechkin, he would get no where near the recognition Ovi does. I’d chalk that up to what each of their goals would look like on a replay to NHL fans. Ovechkin’s standard goal looks like it was scientifically designed to look more awesome than it needs to be.

Giordano plays like a textbook out there most nights. But nothing stands out in the way of offence. Although I would personally argue my own point there because the accuracy of his shot is ridiculous.

Tkachuk might be in the Top 10 hockey IQ in the league, and he gets some sneaky shots off. But if he played for another Canadian team, no way would I consider him an all star. Mostly due to jealousy.

At least Gaudreau is acknowledged for what he is. But we don’t really have a long history of high octane, sitting on the edge of your seat whenever he has the puck, offensive players. Tons of great players no doubt. But not of the Gaudreau variety. And those are who get noticed by the league.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #18
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote is.for.Gio
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #19
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Last year, Giroux finished 2nd in scoring (behind non-playoff McDavid) with 102 pts. He wasn't even in the top 3 for Hart, because the media loved the feel good stories of Hall and Mackinnon dragging their no-talent teams into the wildcard spots. kopitar was 3rd in voting when he had 92 pts and his next teammate had 61.

Sadly that has what this award has become. If you have good teammates or elevate your teammates, it eliminates you from this award.

So, the front runner has to be McDavid. The Rod Smith soundbite confirms this is how the media thinks. If the oilers make the playoffs, it's his. If they get close but miss, he still might get enough votes.
2nd favorite is Eichel. Buffalo has sucked for years and is in prime position to snag a wildcard spot. What a feel good story -- Skinner's production will likely decline, and everyone loves an American boy who was a former #2 overall.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #20
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO McDavid is way too one dimensional to win the Hart. 4 years in the league now and he still plays the exact same game as when he entered the league. Has not developed his defensive game at all, his faceoff percentage is still well below 50, no leadership qualities to speak of.

yes he skates fast and plays tons of minutes each game, well except for PKs.

Frankly, McDavid isn't in the conversation for the Hart again this year outside of Edmonton.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post: