Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #41
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
This is a weird thing to get offended about. It's supposed to be a compliment about how the RW depth has suddenly become a strength. Amazing to go from Ferland - Frolik - Hathaway - Brower to Lindholm - Neal - Czarnik - Frolik
Im not offended at all.

My reading was that the poster I quoted was responding to the post I made earlier but failed to quote it, unless I am completely mistaken.

My opinion is that comparing our forward depth I believe we are way deeper at LW than at RW and am curious how that impacts things. If bennett continues to play the way he's started this season, we now have an embarassment of riches on the left side and despite the Right side also improving over last season I would say it has a lot more room for improvement.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #42
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Noted Flames killer Paul Stastny reportedly will miss the next 2 months.

Which means Nov 19 and 23 games against the Knights will be Stastny free.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #43
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine if either Monahan or Backlund was going to miss any time they would have practiced with Lindholm at centre.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is really the best thing that any of us hoped to have happened this season. If Andersson and Valimaki both make it impossible for the team to dispatch them to Stockton, then Treliving is going to have to make a move—probably before the Christmas break.

As much as I would love for the Flames to keep eight NHL defensemen on the roster and rotating in and out of the lineup, I just don't see how it is feasible for a full season. How do the coaches justify sitting anyone but Prout in the press box?
Andersson is still a bit of an adventure in his own zone, he'll have to iron that out.

But his anticipation of attack or transition is elite. He's almost like a rover how he fills that seem between his defense partner and the forwards on the attack.

Really gives them option.

However that's the downside of the pairings in my mind, as he keeps Hanifin from filling that role too as they both can't go.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #45
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Im not offended at all.

My reading was that the poster I quoted was responding to the post I made earlier but failed to quote it, unless I am completely mistaken.

My opinion is that comparing our forward depth I believe we are way deeper at LW than at RW and am curious how that impacts things. If bennett continues to play the way he's started this season, we now have an embarassment of riches on the left side and despite the Right side also improving over last season I would say it has a lot more room for improvement.
Why call the guy a troll when he's saying that the RW depth is looking pretty good too?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Andersson is still a bit of an adventure in his own zone, he'll have to iron that out.

But his anticipation of attack or transition is elite. He's almost like a rover how he fills that seem between his defense partner and the forwards on the attack.

Really gives them option.

However that's the downside of the pairings in my mind, as he keeps Hanifin from filling that role too as they both can't go.
That's a good point that I had not really considered. This probably also helps to explain why Hanifin has been a little quiet offensively in these first few games. This will be something to watch over the next couple weeks while Hamonic continues to recover. What I love about this situation is that I don't feel like the Flames are anxiously counting the days until his return. The step-down from a healthy six to the current group is not nearly as precipitous as I can recall for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #47
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Man you are actually just a troll, good schtick though.
This term is being thrown around way too loosely lately, just because they have a differing opinion than the majority they are being personally attacked.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #48
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would not change those two lines.
I would 100% keep Lindholm with Gaudeau and Monahan. He compliments them so nicely and having a RH who can win faceoffs is a big asset for them.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I would 100% keep Lindholm with Gaudeau and Monahan. He compliments them so nicely and having a RH who can win faceoffs is a big asset for them.
I agree he's a fit. But then you have the small dilemma of Tkachuk going back to Backlund's line and shoving Bennett back down to the third. IMO Neal needs to be on that second line, too.

At the same time I think Lindholm is too good to stay on the third line for long if you start with last game's lines.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree he's a fit. But then you have the small dilemma of Tkachuk going back to Backlund's line and shoving Bennett back down to the third. IMO Neal needs to be on that second line, too.

At the same time I think Lindholm is too good to stay on the third line for long if you start with last game's lines.
I wonder if the solution may be found in different assignments for certain players on the road v. at home. I personally am eager to see Liondholm back with Monahan and Gaudreau at the Saddledome on Weds night, and Tkachuk is such a good player I believe that he can be equally effective on any line he plays when there is the benefit of getting a preferred matchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #51
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

after the first 4 games i can't imagine why anyone is preoccupied with lines necessarily.

Seems a clear delineation:

Top line is going to get 20 minutes a night basically no matter what IMO.

Then Backlund will get his 18 and the bottom 2 lines will get 8-13 depending on which players are going.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
after the first 4 games i can't imagine why anyone is preoccupied with lines necessarily.

Seems a clear delineation:

Top line is going to get 20 minutes a night basically no matter what IMO.

Then Backlund will get his 18 and the bottom 2 lines will get 8-13 depending on which players are going.
I'm not concerned about line numbers so much as seeing that, say, Lindholm, or Neal get enough time to be effective. I don;'t think either thrives or is as useful with less time. Czarnik, Ryan, Dube would do best with limited minutes IMO.

Plus the chemistry needs to be right obviously. I liked Tkachuk and Neal together, I liked Bennett and Neal together as well. I think Lindholm had a bit more with the top guys than the others, though Neal should also be an obvious fit, if he can find open ice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #53
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not concerned about line numbers so much as seeing that, say, Lindholm, or Neal get enough time to be effective. I don;'t think either thrives or is as useful with less time. Czarnik, Ryan, Dube would do best with limited minutes IMO.

Plus the chemistry needs to be right obviously. I liked Tkachuk and Neal together, I liked Bennett and Neal together as well. I think Lindholm had a bit more with the top guys than the others, though Neal should also be an obvious fit, if he can find open ice.
No matter what, at least we are seeing different lines and actually looking to find real chemistry versus what looks good on paper. We saw 3M maybe what, 30 minutes this year? We saw a rookie Valimaki-Andersson pairing?

No more "Let's put Brodie on the left as a left shot and never deviate because hockey is played on paper and will work out eventually".

No more "Bennett did look really good on the first line but he's a left shot - oh look Chris Stewart is a natural RW and shoots right! Let's put him on the first line and put Bennett back in the 3rd line as LW with Brouwer"

We have dynamic lines and pairings that make sense, and that is light years what we had.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #54
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
No matter what, at least we are seeing different lines and actually looking to find real chemistry versus what looks good on paper. We saw 3M maybe what, 30 minutes this year? We saw a rookie Valimaki-Andersson pairing?

No more "Let's put Brodie on the left as a left shot and never deviate because hockey is played on paper and will work out eventually".

No more "Bennett did look really good on the first line but he's a left shot - oh look Chris Stewart is a natural RW and shoots right! Let's put him on the first line and put Bennett back in the 3rd line as LW with Brouwer"

We have dynamic lines and pairings that make sense, and that is light years what we had.
I think it's useful to coach and practice this kind of versatility. Having a group that you can plug and play a bit, and whom don't make a stink when they're moved around is a great asset to have.

Your point about left shot right shot is a good one.. once Gulutzan went all side-centric he didn't have many options when injuries occurred.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

One option that might start emerge if things continue into a larger sample size is a third pair.

Monahan and Gaudreau
Tkachuk and Backlund

And then maybe ....

Bennett and Lindholm.

That starts to look pretty dangerous if you develop three pairs to make your top nine tough to check.

But we will need to see Lindholm beyond his 45 point average and Bennett pushing towards 45 to make that likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #56
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I wonder if the solution may be found in different assignments for certain players on the road v. at home. I personally am eager to see Liondholm back with Monahan and Gaudreau at the Saddledome on Weds night, and Tkachuk is such a good player I believe that he can be equally effective on any line he plays when there is the benefit of getting a preferred matchup.
Lionholm would be a sweet nickname
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This post is terrible For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #57
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
Lionholm would be a sweet nickname
username checks out
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #58
Doc Hudson
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
One option that might start emerge if things continue into a larger sample size is a third pair.

Monahan and Gaudreau
Tkachuk and Backlund

And then maybe ....

Bennett and Lindholm.

That starts to look pretty dangerous if you develop three pairs to make your top nine tough to check.

But we will need to see Lindholm beyond his 45 point average and Bennett pushing towards 45 to make that likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like this.

Seems the team's ceiling really comes down to Bennett?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Doc Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #59
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Fan960 said today was a day off. Guess not.
This Twitter account can help you find out if they're practicing or not - https://twitter.com/CgyFlamesPR. 'Tis been a big help. No longer do I need to call Saddledome for the practice times.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #60
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am curious to know why people slot Lindholm as a top 6 forward and Janko as bottom 6. Both were first round draft picks and both scored 17 goals in the their rookie season (I know 4 those goals shouldn’t count because it was in a nothing game but since he did this with limited minutes and no PP time...I am going to count these). I don’t care that Johnny and Monny are the dynamic duo...the team owes it to itself to see if there is any long term chemistry with Janko and Johnny.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote