Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:
Default Which Mac Pro?

So business is ramping up on the corporate (read: bread and butter) side of our productions. We could get away with our set up when it was just our "fun" stuff, but time is of the essence now.

The new Mac Pros look enticing, but I'm curious about actual real-world performance vs. benchmark test results.

For instance, most of the apps won't come close to actually utilizing 12 cores or even RAM amount. Final Cut, Compressor, Photoshop, Illustrator...

Do we go balls to the wall on 12 cores and a massive load of RAM or scale it back to something the apps will actually use?

What are your thoughts about drives and which will provide the fastest transfer rates?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
So business is ramping up on the corporate (read: bread and butter) side of our productions. We could get away with our set up when it was just our "fun" stuff, but time is of the essence now.

The new Mac Pros look enticing, but I'm curious about actual real-world performance vs. benchmark test results.

For instance, most of the apps won't come close to actually utilizing 12 cores or even RAM amount. Final Cut, Compressor, Photoshop, Illustrator...

Do we go balls to the wall on 12 cores and a massive load of RAM or scale it back to something the apps will actually use?

What are your thoughts about drives and which will provide the fastest transfer rates?
RAM can be added in whenever you want, but the processor is something you don't want to skimp on. Not only that, but Mac Pros aren't really disposable like a lot of the HPs (et al.) are. To that end, this is something you're going to have for a number of years, and who knows what kind of work you'll be doing 3, 4 or 5 years from now...

Verdict: 12 cores! Stick with 8GB of RAM though.

(Also, look seriously at the video card options. Remember Mac OS has the ability to offload some processing tasks onto your GPU.)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

That's what I was thinking...but wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a little ahead of myself.

12 Cores it is!