Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #741
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
So a small sample size of games here, but I was curious to see what the penalties called for and against were for the Flames for the immediate 6 games after the Wideman incident, and the 6 games prior (for easy comparison).

So I took the liberty of charting it out based on penalties called for and against (includes offsetting).

Discuss
Like Resoliute said, Furlatt is the anomaly, although it is difficult to conclude that the Flames were also not wildly undisciplined in those two games he officiated.

I really don't think there is anything to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #742
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Gotta wonder why Bettman is taking so long to render a decison. Wideman could end up with time served by the time the independant aribitrator rules.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #743
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Perhaps a bit of a conspiracy theory, but I wonder whether the league knows it's going to lose the arbitration in the end, and is delaying the decision as much as possible so that, in the end, they can tell the referee's Union "he didn't play for 8 games."
They can already tell the referee's Union that they gave him 20, upheld the 20, and that it's not their fault that the 3rd party arbitrator says something else if that's the case. I don't think the League needs to tell them that they slow played it for them.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #744
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bettman has to be careful how he rules. Seeing as a concussion experts were brought in to testify, any ruling here could be brought up again in current and future concussion related law suits.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #745
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bettman has to be careful how he rules. Seeing as a concussion experts were brought in to testify, any ruling here could be brought up again in current and future concussion related law suits.
That would be my guess. It's taking a while because he's having lawyers review past concussion cases and craft a statement to make sure that nothing he says can later be used as evidence for plaintiffs in potential future legal action.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #746
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a league that continues to allow guys to get sucker punched in the head with no supplemental discipline...they don't have a prayer when it comes to legal preceedings over concussions
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #747
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Exactly this.

This case is going to set some precedents.

And once the Wideman aspect is over the league is going to go hard after the Flames, the Officials Union and the PA over Concussion protocols.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #748
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you think it will be the Flames singled out or just NHL teams in general? I would hope that it is not just the Flames.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #749
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
Do you think it will be the Flames singled out or just NHL teams in general? I would hope that it is not just the Flames.
every team has examples of guys who come back and play...then sit out the next few games with a concussion. Officials can't say much either since their guy did the exact same thing.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #750
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very true...I was thinking that they might be looking to make an example, but they don't seem to have much ground to stand on.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #751
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So a small sample size of games here, but I was curious to see what the penalties called for and against were for the Flames for the immediate 6 games after the Wideman incident, and the 6 games prior (for easy comparison).

So I took the liberty of charting it out based on penalties called for and against (includes offsetting).

Discuss
You missed the Columbus game on Feb 5. In that game there were 3 penalties total called. 2 were offsetting roughing minors in the first, and the only power play of the game went to the Flames in the third period.

I agree with Resolute that this chart only shows that Furlatt is a horrible ref.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #752
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
every team has examples of guys who come back and play...then sit out the next few games with a concussion. Officials can't say much either since their guy did the exact same thing.
Yeah but I'm thinking this is more of the League trying to use the Flames to deflect blame.

"The Flames did not follow League mandated concussion protocols."

It wasnt 'The League's' fault, it was the Flames' fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #753
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The refs in the NHL are a disgrace to the game. Yesterday Hedman gets kicked out for firing the puck down the ice on the ground after the ref stops the puck and gives San Jose a goal. Pathetic. They are either not paying enough attention or they are doing it on purpose. Ref school 101 = how to not get in the way of play.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #754
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Discuss
You need to do 2 trend lines - one for before the suspension and another for after to be able to see much of a difference...
Old 02-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #755
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
The refs in the NHL are a disgrace to the game. Yesterday Hedman gets kicked out for firing the puck down the ice on the ground after the ref stops the puck and gives San Jose a goal. Pathetic. They are either not paying enough attention or they are doing it on purpose. Ref school 101 = how to not get in the way of play.
There's also this:

Sutherland basically gets the primary assist on the goal.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #756
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that the refs need to try and stay out of the players way. But at times, it seems that they get in the way on purpose.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #757
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Exactly this.

This case is going to set some precedents.

And once the Wideman aspect is over the league is going to go hard after the Flames, the Officials Union and the PA over Concussion protocols.
Pfft, they should try looking closer to home and looking at why Henderson was wiped out and then was basically allowed to carry on as normal, when he was clearly concussed.

They can whinge about concussion protocols for the players, but what about set procedures for their officials? Pot kettle black I think.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #758
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I think that the refs need to try and stay out of the players way. But at times, it seems that they get in the way on purpose.
Don Henderson specifically has been smoked something like 3 times.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #759
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Pfft, they should try looking closer to home and looking at why Henderson was wiped out and then was basically allowed to carry on as normal, when he was clearly concussed.

They can whinge about concussion protocols for the players, but what about set procedures for their officials? Pot kettle black I think.
Ah! But the officials are represented by their own Union.

The League wants to separate itself from all Concussion liability and to do this its going to throw the PA, the Officials Association and the Flames under the Bus.

"We set a protocol and 'they' didnt follow it. Not our fault."

For both the players, the officials and individual teams.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #760
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upholds 20-game suspension of Dennis Wideman.

@FriedgeHNIC
Would expect an appeal to a neutral arbitrator now
Closed Thread