Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #301
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sabres break the Pengrowth/Scotiabank Saddledome curse.

Gulutzan taking a page out of the new YYC airport's playbook: "Lets do stuff than no one else is doing!"
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #302
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Not disagreeing with you, it's absolute madness. But on the bolded... how does signing a long-term big money deal and then absolutely failing on the ice, and usually not playing the role you were brought in to play make Brouwer a good pro? To me he looks like a ##### on the ice 99% of the time, and never seems to take any of the blame for his #### play in the press. Looks like an awful pro to me, and giving him an A is another disgraceful decision on the part of the coaching staff.
Different sides of Professionalism.

I'm not going to tackle his performance vs. pay or his leadership abilities which I cant really comment on, or the coaching staff's baffling decision to give him a letter and trust him in clutch situations despite his consistent lack of performance.

Within this context I refer to him as a good pro because he went out and did what his coach told him to, to the best of his abilities. Such as they are.

I dont think anyone saw the decline of Brouwer to this degree, but Brouwer, as has Stajan on occasion, has been sent out and set up to fail.

And thats the thing, I cant blame Brouwer here.

6 Seconds left on a PK in OT, defensive zone faceoff, who are you going to call? I can think of a half-dozen players on the bench and a few in Stockton that I'd turn to before Brouwer, let alone a gassed Brouwer playing out of position.

Thats not on Brouwer. Hes got lots of his own problems and mistakes but this wasnt one of them. He just did what his coach told him in order to try and help his team.

Its not gone well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #303
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing what we know now on how the L came to be I honestly wish Gully would have also pulled Smith on that final defensive zone face off so even the casual Flames fans would question this coaches lack of logic and poor decisions.
He would probably still not even shoulder the blame for that decision either.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #304
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can talk about the Brouwer decision till we are blue in the face but I think everytime TJ Brodie touched the puck last night it resulted in a turnover. Man has no brain some games
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #305
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Not sure the hate with Brouwer and Stajan, there are other guys that have been more frustrating to watch.

I think it's time to sit Hathaway or put him on the 4th line. Puck has constantly died on his stick.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #306
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see GG throws another stick throwing tantrum after this team loses to the Kings on Wednesday. He'll need a bigger stick though. Man, that was a snoozer of a game.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #307
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames won't lose to the Kings. For some weird reason, the Flames are in the Kings' head it seems. Much like Oilers are in the Flames' head. Which we'll all see on Thursday.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #308
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Flames won't lose to the Kings. For some weird reason, the Flames are in the Kings' head it seems. Much like Oilers are in the Flames' head. Which we'll all see on Thursday.
Unfortunately we've seen this same scenario before. Flames 7 game win streak will be undone this week if they fail to show up to the next two games. Frankly, if they play like they did vs the Jets and Sabres they will lose to the Kings and then give up their customary 5 goals or more to the Oilers. GG must know that he's yet to beat the Oilers and better have this group ready to go for that game. Hartley was an A hole and a very flawed coach but I never questioned whether he was gonna have the Flames ready for the big games. He was great at coaching the rivalry games vs the Oilers and Canucks, GG has been bent over by the Oilers more than any other Flames coach I can remember.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-23-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #309
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Unfourutnaley we've seen this same scenario before. Flames 7 game win streak will be undone this week if they fail to show up to the next two games. Frankly, if they play like they did vs the Jets and Sabres they will lose to the Kings and then give up their customary 5 goals or more to the Oilers. GG must know that he's yet to beat the Oilers and better have this group ready to go for that game.
Ah! Gulutzan's 'Achilles Heel.'

I can envision the 'We just werent ready' interview already.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #310
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not to do with the Buffalo game, Just something I have been thinking about. If the hockey god materialized in front of you and said out of the next two games you will only win one, but you can choose. What would you do?

Despite the fact we are on the losing streak against the Oilers, I would want the victory over the Kings.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #311
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Not to do with the Buffalo game, Just something I have been thinking about. If the hockey god materialized in front of you and said out of the next two games you will only win one, but you can choose. What would you do?

Despite the fact we are on the losing streak against the Oilers, I would want the victory over the Kings.
Same. Sucks to lose to the Oil but the Kings are the team to worry about at the moment.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #312
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
We can talk about the Brouwer decision till we are blue in the face but I think everytime TJ Brodie touched the puck last night it resulted in a turnover. Man has no brain some games
I can't get by this.

This should have been an easy two points.

Does anyone think if janko us out there for that draw that the flames actually win that game? They were awful.

Brodie was next level bad. He was the worst player on the team.

Since the start of last season he is a -26, the worst on the team by a significant margin. Giordano by comparison is a +31, the best on the team.

His -26 since last year puts him 24th worst in the whole league over that span. He is tied with Kevin bieksa this year at a -10, bottom 30 in the western conference that has the coyotes, Canucks and oilers playing in it.

He was bad. This game never should've gotten to OT in the first place.

He's just not reliable enough in too many games.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #313
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me get this straight. People are blaming the defence?

The Flames have only let in one goal in regulation time in their last three games. You can't ask for more than that.

The bottom line in the Flames need to score more than 1 goal to win a game.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #314
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, we still did get 2 of the last 4 points
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #315
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

The Flames have only let in one goal in regulation time in their last three games. You can't ask for more than that.

Not blaming the overall defence. But Brodie was awful last night. He almost scored on his own net, which started the chain of events that preceded the goal. He won zero puck battles and was a non factor offensively. I also thought Stone was struggling a bit.

The rest were fine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #316
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

The defensive problems are being masked by other world goaltending.

Brodie is a defensive liability. There is no way around it. His cavalier attitude on the ice is infuriating. And, when he isn’t adding much offensively he isn’t worth much. He’s not adding much offensively this year...
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #317
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I can't get by this.

This should have been an easy two points.

Does anyone think if janko us out there for that draw that the flames actually win that game? They were awful.

Brodie was next level bad. He was the worst player on the team.

Since the start of last season he is a -26, the worst on the team by a significant margin. Giordano by comparison is a +31, the best on the team.

His -26 since last year puts him 24th worst in the whole league over that span. He is tied with Kevin bieksa this year at a -10, bottom 30 in the western conference that has the coyotes, Canucks and oilers playing in it.

He was bad. This game never should've gotten to OT in the first place.

He's just not reliable enough in too many games.
Man, why is stuff like this not being posted in the Trade and Speculation thread where I am saying the same things but I’m alone and being Flames for pointing these things out?

Brodie has been terrible but according to some is better than Hamonic and Hamilton and should garner a return similar to the both of them and should be given priority to play with Gio etc...

Fact is, Brodie is not that good. He can skate, when he wants to (which is not all the time, and when looking to make an outlet pass he stops skating). He’s pedestrian in his own zone during scrambles and loses his man quite often in front of the net. 90% of the time Brodie opts to try and reach for the puck with his stick instead of being physical and playing the man. On the PP, more often than not, he makes the wrong decision with the puck as well because he takes too long to move the puck and ends up turning it over.
The guy looks like he’s playing cocky and thinks he’s better than he is.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote