Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #161
CalgaryInSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWaterboy View Post
kipper? not even close....just look at his GAA and Sv%...wins are overrated just like kipper
I guess you're right... I'll just have to comfort myself by looking at the standings.
CalgaryInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #162
smith12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
On the other hand, if Kiprusoff puts up Backstrom numbers, I am willing to bet the Flames are fighting it out for the President's trophy and not choking away the NW division.

Kiprusoff is no longer an elite goaltender in the NHL - he is mediocre - can play well in spurts, but other than that unreliable.
I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still a great goalie, much better than mediocre but he's just not been consistent this year.

If he focuses and plays to his ability he can be a top 5 goalie.
smith12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #163
Dome Roamer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tough to rate simply the best but If I were going into a playoff series my list would go as follows.

Louongo - Although he hasn’t done it yet I believe that he can be Con Smyth worthy.
Brodeur - Still one of the best.
Kippersoff - has been good enough to win a cup and took Detroit to 6 when we really should have been out in 4.
Thomas - Makes it look a lot harder than it really is, but without him Boston is not so high in the standings.

Nabokov - he has won a lot of games in the last few seasons and is always near the top in important categories.

Honorable mention.
Mason got to do it for a full season.
Turco - His biggest assets is his puck handling not his puck stopping.
Lundqvist - I hear he is good but to be honest I never see him play.
Backstrom - spoiled by the system
Dome Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #164
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome Roamer View Post
Tough to rate simply the best but If I were going into a playoff series my list would go as follows.

Louongo - Although he hasn’t done it yet I believe that he can be Con Smyth worthy.
Brodeur - Still one of the best.
Kippersoff - has been good enough to win a cup and took Detroit to 6 when we really should have been out in 4.
Thomas - Makes it look a lot harder than it really is, but without him Boston is not so high in the standings.

Nabokov - he has won a lot of games in the last few seasons and is always near the top in important categories.

Honorable mention.
Mason got to do it for a full season.
Turco - His biggest assets is his puck handling not his puck stopping.
Lundqvist - I hear he is good but to be honest I never see him play.
Backstrom - spoiled by the system
Giguere may deserve a mention. I'd take him any day over Turco or Backstrom in the playoffs.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #165
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Giguere may deserve a mention. I'd take him any day over Turco or Backstrom in the playoffs.
Depends on the team, he would be great for the Wild, on waivers for the Capitals. He's a system goalie IMO.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #166
Dome Roamer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed but Giguere is no where near the athlete of the others. and lets face it with the game shrinking goalie every years alot more pucks are going to squeak past a guy who doesnt save shots but rather just blocks them.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #167
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome Roamer View Post
Agreed but Giguere is no where near the athlete of the others. and lets face it with the game shrinking goalie every years alot more pucks are going to squeak past a guy who doesnt save shots but rather just blocks them.
They don't shrink goalie equipment every year, and he just won the Stanley Cup with the new equipment rules.

he also had one of the most incredible goaltending runs in NHL history with the Ducks a number of years ago, as well, and it certainly wasn't all about goalie equipment. He won the Conn Smythe even though his team didn't win the Cup. How often does that happen?

I'm not a big fan of Giguere's nonathletic style, either, but you can't deny what works.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #168
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
Depends on the team, he would be great for the Wild, on waivers for the Capitals. He's a system goalie IMO.
You think he's worse than Jose Theodore, the Capitals goaltender, who doesn't happen to be on waivers?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #169
Dome Roamer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They don't shrink goalie equipment every year, and he just won the Stanley Cup with the new equipment rules.

he also had one of the most incredible goaltending runs in NHL history with the Ducks a number of years ago, as well, and it certainly wasn't all about goalie equipment. He won the Conn Smythe even though his team didn't win the Cup. How often does that happen?

I'm not a big fan of Giguere's nonathletic style, either, but you can't deny what works.
It works but I dont think that it will continue to work in the future. The game is speeding up and he doesnt have the speed to keep up. But ya he has been briliant in the past but i cant see him ever being that dominate again. Not with the way the game is now.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #170
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only three goalies that I would have on my team for a playoff run.
Kipper, Giggy and Martin - all have been there, 2 have won it..all three they know what it takes.
Every other goalie in the league, no thanks
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #171
CalgaryInSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
There is only three goalies that I would have on my team for a playoff run.
Kipper, Giggy and Martin - all have been there, 2 have won it..all three they know what it takes.
Every other goalie in the league, no thanks
You could say Kipper won it too if it weren't for the biggest BS call of the decade.
CalgaryInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goalies , kipper , top5