Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #121
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I may be in the minority here but this is just unsettling, the expression on Daryls face the murder scene on the canvas. The whole thing has vibes of, come disappear on my farm, your last moments will be immortalized on canvas in my basement.
Backstop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backstop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #122
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The defensive zone has not been clean this year. It's a fire drill at times, and it take a lot of energy getting the puck back or out. It's actually pretty remarkable how much volume we still get, and not allow many shots.

If we can get clean exits and up ice with more consistent speed, I think our 5V5 scoring picks up like it did last year. Not sure if this is a system change or guys just not skating.
Totally agree with the bold. They are not good at getting control. When they do get control, in may case they make a dumb pass and the opposition gets it right back. This definitely needs to be improved.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #123
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
The defensive zone has not been clean this year. It's a fire drill at times, and it take a lot of energy getting the puck back or out. It's actually pretty remarkable how much volume we still get, and not allow many shots.

If we can get clean exits and up ice with more consistent speed, I think our 5V5 scoring picks up like it did last year. Not sure if this is a system change or guys just not skating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Totally agree with the bold. They are not good at getting control. When they do get control, in may case they make a dumb pass and the opposition gets it right back. This definitely needs to be improved.
How much of a fire drill can it be with the team ranked 4th overall in xGA60?

Could be a case of looking so hard at your own team that you don't realize all teams are making mistakes. Hockey isn't a game of perfection.

The Flames are very good in their own zone. Probably turn it over, but cinch down and cover more often than not to avoid trouble.

I'm not in on the Markstrom witch hunt, but goaltending hasn't done them any favours thus far.

Defensively, their metrics stay they are elite.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 02:30 PM   #124
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah they are one of the top defensive teams...mistakes are magnified this season because so many of them have ended up in the back of the net

also, THE SCHEDULE!

last night is a prime example, when you aren't playing a top team every game you don't need to be perfect to win and score a bunch of goals while giving up few
Old 11-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #125
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oiler fans are pretty quiet, they're tough when they dish it out but as soon as we pass them in the standings they run and hide!
Old 11-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #126
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah they are one of the top defensive teams...mistakes are magnified this season because so many of them have ended up in the back of the net

also, THE SCHEDULE!

last night is a prime example, when you aren't playing a top team every game you don't need to be perfect to win and score a bunch of goals while giving up few
The Flames have played 2 games total against the current bottom 12 teams of the NHL.

The win against Philly last night and the loss to Buffalo when they were off to their hot start.

Essentially half(!) our remaining games (31 of 64) are against these 12 teams.

As long as we don’t fall into the old Flames’ habit of playing down to our competition we are in good shape that way. And I feel under Sutter we’re less susceptible to those poor efforts against bottom feeders.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #127
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Could be a case of looking so hard at your own team that you don't realize all teams are making mistakes. Hockey isn't a game of perfection.

The Flames are very good in their own zone. Probably turn it over, but cinch down and cover more often than not to avoid trouble.

I'm not in on the Markstrom witch hunt, but goaltending hasn't done them any favours thus far.

What is the zone possession time? That's what I'm talking about the breakdowns happens and usually end up in our net but the amount we chase the puck around spend energy trying to get it back. We haven't done as good a job when we get the puck and get it out.

The more we have the puck and skate with it the less energy we waste chasing.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #128
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting thanks for posting. I have to admit that my “eye test” would agree that they look like an uncontrolled disaster in their own end and like they’re chasing all over the place. However the stat shows complete opposite and obviously they’re doing well.

I think the biggest challenge is that they are passing far less frequently and often their passes are to guys standing still or in their feet / slightly behind. This is one of those “chemistry” things that will get better over time too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #129
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Well if the advanced stats say it!!

As for the bolded....does the w/l record not say the word "elite" and this team should not be associated?
Old 11-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #130
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well if the advanced stats say it!!

As for the bolded....does the w/l record not say the word "elite" and this team should not be associated?
I'm not trying to be cute when I say this, and I"m also not totally sure I know the answer (for a variety of reasons I've watched fewer Flames games than usual at this point, although I've certainly watched more than half)

but I suppose that depends how much of the relative blame for the league's worst save percentage you want to allocate to who (defence, team defence, coaching, goalies, luck etc)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #131
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

If our shooting % was top 10 we are on the same goal pace as last season. The volume is there but poor finish and not enough cross crease plays costing us. Also a poor pp.

The save % is more concerning because we don't allow as many shots and by Bingos stats don't allow high danger chances.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #132
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I'm not trying to be cute when I say this, and I"m also not totally sure I know the answer (for a variety of reasons I've watched fewer Flames games than usual at this point, although I've certainly watched more than half)

but I suppose that depends how much of the relative blame for the league's worst save percentage you want to allocate to who (defence, team defence, coaching, goalies, luck etc)
I dont disagree....Markstrom has had bad moments thus far and thats not even disputable.

However, he is not the only guy responsible for the current record, he is only 1 of 20 any given night, and the others have been tire fires most of the last
while.

This is/has been a "team" issue IMO, and its lookin to me like they are starting to both come out of the funk and understand they can dictate the game to a certain degree.

they havent been very good overall this season, but I see things getting better...actually a lot better, but thus far they have been far from "elite" very often.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #133
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
What is the zone possession time? That's what I'm talking about the breakdowns happens and usually end up in our net but the amount we chase the puck around spend energy trying to get it back. We haven't done as good a job when we get the puck and get it out.

The more we have the puck and skate with it the less energy we waste chasing.
Every team gets stuck in their own zone a half dozen (or more!) times a night. Every team.

I would find it hard to believe that the Flames with the 4th best xGA60 are in their zone more than most.

So as I said earlier I think you're victim of the myopic hockey fan syndrome where you look at your own team as being in charge of the whole game, when the guys in the other jerseys have their say for portions of every game.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #134
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every team gets stuck in their own zone a half dozen (or more!) times a night. Every team.

I would find it hard to believe that the Flames with the 4th best xGA60 are in their zone more than most.

So as I said earlier I think you're victim of the myopic hockey fan syndrome where you look at your own team as being in charge of the whole game, when the guys in the other jerseys have their say for portions of every game.
Exactly.

The next time the Flames have a good forecheck going, instead of watching the Flames players, watch the other team play defense. You might notice that they commit all the same turnovers and struggles that you hold our defense accountable for. And not only do they happen, but based on the stats Bingo has posted, they happen at a greater rate.

Both teams are playing.

(directed at fans criticizing the defense, not at Bingo)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #135
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...v-21-1.6659493
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2465932/
https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401458883
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/146006
Old 11-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #136
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough game to evaluate, Flyers have serious injuries issues and iced a really weak lineup.

Flames had to win this one,
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post: