Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
They needed to play. A forward call up doesn't need to play necessarily. The Flames have a full line up. Just no spares
Gilbert played instead of Mackey
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #22
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Right. And Gilbert has NHL experience. Not a ton but more than Mackey.

But I'm not making my concern clear. That a young player with little experience will get a chance. Specifically Phillips. Or even Zary or Pelletier.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

your concern is clear
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 01:49 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think it's worth considering when a guy like Ruzicka has been a healthy scratch for 10 of 12.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #25
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I like Lewis, Lucic, Ritchie and Rooney but all four of those guys should not be playing every night. The lineup badly needs speed and some youth.
100% this and it was the same issue last year when 4 of Pitlick, Richardson, Lewis, Ritchie, and Lucic were all in the lineup at times to start last season.

Individually all of those guys (this season) have played admirably in their roles, but if you're dressing all 4 then it means your top 9 has a hole, and your 4th line is probably not great.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-09-2022 at 02:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #26
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
Agree with this but Ritchie should not be included. He has a set of wheels and actually gives 100% every shift.
I have no real issue with any one player just feel they get too much ice time and responsibility. Individually they have been fine and even as a 4th line. I just don't feel as a true cup contender those 4 play as much as they do now and did last year at the tail end of the season and into the playoffs.

I would like to see two youngsters up and learning on the fly. It would pay off come playoff time.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #27
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The Flames are missing a piece. It is as obvious as the nose on Tim Hunter's face. They obviously are in no position to make a deal, so the only solution is to call up a player. The big question is who deserves the call?

#1 - Matthew Phillips. The guy is hot, plays RW, and has both the skills and smarts to be effective in the top six. Give the kid a chance. It's now or never. The problem is I don't see Sutter trusting him with the responsibility of winning puck battles along the boards, even if that's the last thing we need right now.

#2 - Radim Zahorna. Last guy cut usually gets the look-see, especially if he's producing. Is a key player on the first line for the Wranglers and has the size Sutter likes. Is he going to be the finisher we need? Not sure.

#3 - Connor Zary. Had a rough start but has turned it around. The exact type of player that Huberdeau seems to excel with. Smart, skilled, but plays a solid north-south game when called for. Reminds me of Duclair, so may be the best fit.

#4 - Jacob Pelletier. A smallish forward that plays a smart game and sports a non-stop motor. Seems like a guy that Huberdeau flourished with last year too.

Those are the candidates IMO. The Flames need a kick in the ass and a call-up may be the tonic this team needs. We are definitely short another skilled player, so it's time to make this happen. Who should it be?
You would think after coaching a player that got 115 pts that rarely won a board battle he would relent

This team needs speed and skill in the top six ...not muckers
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any word on the Wranglers practice today (if they had one)? If there are any notable absences, it could give us a clue if someone might be on their way to Boston.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:24 PM   #29
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Assuming the current injured players are out for a few games, isn’t it possible to bring player(s) up from the Wranglers as an emergency or “injury replacement” for a couple of games and then send them back without having to expose them to waivers?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:41 PM   #30
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they can play up to 10 games before having to clear waivers to go back down, but there are cap implementations as well. As of right now, we don’t have any forwards on IR either.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:00 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I would call up the entire first line from the Wranglers and replace one of our lines since they have chemistry together.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #32
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Phillips deserves it no question... but with that said, come on down Ben Jones!
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Oscar Dansk.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #34
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't understand why they haven't called up Phillips... It's just baffling. There's no drawback.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #35
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I can't understand why they haven't called up Phillips... It's just baffling. There's no drawback.
Right now it’s because they don’t want to go into LTIR and called up the two dmen.

Once they are back home I could see them sending down a dman and calling up a forward
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #36
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

They don’t really have anything to lose. What they are currently doing is obviously not working.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #37
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Right. And Gilbert has NHL experience. Not a ton but more than Mackey.

But I'm not making my concern clear. That a young player with little experience will get a chance. Specifically Phillips. Or even Zary or Pelletier.
Probably not likely with sutter around. It looked like it nauseated him to play the young d men but they looked not bad last night.

Sutter likes his big grinder vets.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter praised both called up dmen after last game

Also, you may want to look at the ages of the Flames regular dmen. Their top pair is younger than the called up guys.

Last edited by dino7c; 11-09-2022 at 08:16 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #39
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sutter praised both called up dmen after last game

Also, you may want to look at the ages of the Flames regular dmen. Their top pair is younger than the called up guys.
He also said they suck in the morning and played them 8 minutes the game before.

Andersson and Hanifin established themselves prior to his arrival, was he going ti sit them?

We have some skill on the farm we can try but we won't because Sutter. Unless his boys get injured I don't see a way anyone is called up and if they are they will 5 minutes a night while he tosses out Lewis to go tie the game in the last minute.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #40
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would disagree that Zary is comparable to Duclair, as Zary is super gritty and has two-way acumen. If you're not calling up Phillips, this is your guy-he took major steps forward this summer, getting stronger and faster, and showed up hungry to camp. He's an important prospect, being a first-rounder, and I think he should get a couple of games with the big club.

Almost everything that could said about Zary could be said about Ben Jones. He's playing on the third line, but is the team's 4th leading scorer with 9 pts in 10 games. I think he's being forgotten as a prospect with potential, as he had 102 points in his final year of junior, and has improved offensively every year in the AHL. He's got the 200-ft ability, and the speed (and the nastiness) to be effective in the NHL at some point, and I would like to see what he could do playing with Backs and Coleman, or centering the 4th line with Looch and Lewis/Ritchie, should injuries come up.

Last edited by Sandman; 11-09-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post: