Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #281
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just breezed through this thread, crazy amount of kids sick. We have been lucky in out family, but my kids sports teams and schools have been hit hard.

With kids being home schooled for a while due to Covid, I would have thought that we would have really levelled the spread of common cold and flu. But obviously we have not.

Is is possible that since kids sort of missed a flu season, their immune systems are a bit weaker, hence how hard it’s hitting? Doesn’t really matter why at this point, hope everyone and their children are able to get through this one without any lasting effects.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #282
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1596048139685093376

Maybe we could try masking up for a bit...crazy idea.
What’s standard wait time overnight?

I just checked and 2-3:30 hour waits at the hospitals which seems reasonable. 4:40 at children’s which is a bit high.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #283
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What’s standard wait time overnight?

I just checked and 2-3:30 hour waits at the hospitals which seems reasonable. 4:40 at children’s which is a bit high.

Last Saturday, the shortest in the city was 6.40. SHC was 10. Children’s was at 12+. And this has been a fairly common theme for weeks now.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #284
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what it was showing last night, so if you had gone in in the evening, you'd be lucky to have been seen by the morning. Being sick/injured/worse waiting in the ER waiting room for 12 hours over night is a special kind of hell.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #285
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tested positive for Covid last night, after a rough previous 24 hours, where a test had said negative. I've been isolating myself from the first moment that I had symptoms (dizziness and onset of fever), but now I'm doing the walk back to the 48 hours before, when I would have been contagious and unaware.

This hasn't been bad for me (a lot like the flu minus throwing up) but I'm really worried about having given it to someone, unknowingly, because everyone's reaction is so different.

A week without work is going to hurt financially next month, but that's a problem for future me.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #286
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

More and more research seems to be coming out all the time on the medium and potential long-term health consequences of covid in terms of impact on the immune system, the vascular system and the brain, including from just mild cases.

Hoping all those catching it recently don't suffer any long-term consequences. Unfortunately, long-covid is also still pretty poorly understood and researched. My experiences with the healthcare system have mostly been that there is little information provided, no treatment available, and not much emphasis placed on it. Seems to be a common experience.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #287
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have friends in a few large cities in the US and most of them were surprised there was a shortage in Canada. It's not like their shelves are overflowing, but they certainly think that they wouldn't have an issue procuring around a dozen bottles within an hour or two.
Just came back from Michigan & Ohio including some major centres. The situation there is every package of childrens cold medicine or pain / fever relief is restricted to one a household and many brands are in shortage. That said each pharmacy I visited had at least one brand of each product in stock.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #288
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1596661335806574593

https://twitter.com/user/status/1596661337203298304
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #289
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phew, that sounds way better than having kids mask up in crowded situations.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:54 AM   #290
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Just breezed through this thread, crazy amount of kids sick. We have been lucky in out family, but my kids sports teams and schools have been hit hard.

With kids being home schooled for a while due to Covid, I would have thought that we would have really levelled the spread of common cold and flu. But obviously we have not.

Is is possible that since kids sort of missed a flu season, their immune systems are a bit weaker, hence how hard it’s hitting? Doesn’t really matter why at this point, hope everyone and their children are able to get through this one without any lasting effects.
In that the kids who didn't get their first case of flu last year and the year before are now all getting it at the same time. Also, flu vaccine uptake is apparently low this year. In the US, coverage is 35% for children vs 40% last year at the same time. Normally it surpasses 50% for the whole flu season.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:43 PM   #291
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man this flu that’s going around is brutal, much worse than Covid. Had to take my first sick day in years, couldn’t even muster the energy to work from home. On the bright side I’ve lost almost 10 lbs.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Man this flu that’s going around is brutal, much worse than Covid. Had to take my first sick day in years, couldn’t even muster the energy to work from home. On the bright side I’ve lost almost 10 lbs.
Yeah, I've just decided not to get it.

"Flu sir?"

No thank you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #293
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I have a nasty chest cold that's kickin the livin #### out of me. Nose is running like a faucet with a cough that is hard to get rid of.

Someone take me out back and shoot me
Old 11-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #294
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a nasty chest cold that's kickin the livin #### out of me. Nose is running like a faucet with a cough that is hard to get rid of.

Someone take me out back and shoot me
Have you done a COVID test? That sounds like what I had and I tested positive for COVID.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #295
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

One of my staff went to the hospital with RSV. I just tested positive for Covid for the first time on Thursday. It has been a very rough weekend. I am all up to date on bivalent and flu shots too.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #296
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been "healthy" in weeks but mostly just sniffles or whatever. Last week holy crap this bug kicked the #### out of me. I had brutal flu like symptoms, and a really bad cough for a few days. I developed laryngitis and haven't had a normal voice in about 6 days now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #297
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Have you done a COVID test? That sounds like what I had and I tested positive for COVID.
Getting the test might be a good idea.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #298
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just finished 4-5 days from hell. That flu is no joke! I also am down ~10 lbs which is nuts.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #299
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

sounds like many many of you regular contributors have gotten sick the last ~week or so... was there some kind of germ-sharing event or something?

But yeah, with Covid so many people were wearing masks, less social time, more distance, and more vigilant with avoiding hand-to-face movements so I recall seeing some media or studies saying clearly that there was far far less cases, and very low numbers that required hospital visits (or were more severe). Additionally they theorized we'd have see a strong rebound this flu season... which seems to be the case.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #300
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I just finished 4-5 days from hell. That flu is no joke! I also am down ~10 lbs which is nuts.
I need this flu to come over my way so that I can drop ten pounds for my upcoming trips in December and February. I need to shed to about 15 though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote