Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #21
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks let Markstrum walk because they had a younger , cheaper and arguably as good goalie waiting to take over

You don’t give a guy a 5 year deal when you have a young goalie ready to start
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #22
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Canucks let Markstrum walk because they had a younger , cheaper and arguably as good goalie waiting to take over

You don’t give a guy a 5 year deal when you have a young goalie ready to start

Well....yes you do if he is your "franchise" goalie and starter for the next number of years.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canucks could only protect one goaltender in the expansion draft. Markstrom was a UFA and Demko looked ready to be a starter.

Suggesting they 'let him walk' is pretty ridiculous
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 05:22 PM   #24
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Canucks could only protect one goaltender in the expansion draft. Markstrom was a UFA and Demko looked ready to be a starter.

Suggesting they 'let him walk' is pretty ridiculous

Ridiculous? So why did they not protect Markstrom? Anyways...I have zero interest in batting this around. I prefer Vladar over Markstrom as starter and that's it. If I am wrong then I will eat my words over and over and over but hey, I am also the guy that would have traded both Kiprusoff and Iginla after the 04 run.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #25
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
As you know, I am uncertain about Markstrom...nothing to do with his performance as a Flame but everything to do with his tenure with the Canucks. The way I see it is that for the most part, the "system" of goaltending in the NHL has to be pretty consistent from team to team. Within reason the coaching is probably similar, training programs similar...etc. The thing that I don't like is that the Canucks saw something (or numerous things) in Markstrom to let him go. Maybe low glove, maybe this., that, the other thing. Fact is they let him go. As I have mentioned before, I like Vladar, he is young, cheap and moves like a cat. He is my starter.
Canucks had two starting goalies (Marsktrom established, Demko emerging after a strong playoff performance). One was younger and cheaper, and the other was a UFA on an expiring contract. It was the year of the Seattle expansion draft, so even if they had signed Markstrom, they would have had to trade either him or Demko, because Seattle would have taken whoever they didn't protect.

So they may have tabled a lowball offer, knowing that they planned to keep Demko anyway, and they only had backup money available for Markstrom. The decision to not offer Markstrom starter's money to stay was strictly a business one.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-21-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #26
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous? So why did they not protect Markstrom? Anyways...I have zero interest in batting this around. I prefer Vladar over Markstrom as starter and that's it. If I am wrong then I will eat my words over and over and over but hey, I am also the guy that would have traded both Kiprusoff and Iginla after the 04 run.
It was an exercise in risk mitigation. The Canucks could have seen Markstrom walk as a UFA and lost Demko's rights in expansion draft. Now no goalie.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
oh god, he has had some good games but being an NHL starter is a whole new ball game

Rittich was also awesome as a backup
Old 10-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #28
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Canucks had two starting goalies (Marsktrom established, Demchuk emerging after a strong playoff performance). One was younger and cheaper, and the other was a UFA on an expiring contract. It was the year of the Seattle expansion draft, so even if they had signed Markstrom, they would have had to trade either him or Demchuk, because Seattle would have taken whoever they didn't protect.

So they may have tabled a lowball offer, knowing that they planned to keep Demchuk anyway, and they only had backup money available for Markstrom. The decision to not offer Markstrom starter's money to stay was strictly a business one.

Demko?
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #29
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Demko?
Oops, how embarrassing, thanks for the correction!
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #30
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous? So why did they not protect Markstrom?
Because Markstrom wanted a NMC which would have meant them having to protect him which would have exposed Demko. They weren't/aren't a contender so it made more sense to protect the younger Demko for when they reach that point.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah people forget Vancouver offered Markstrom a long term contact just wouldn't do the NMC because of the expansion draft. Not to mention they haven't made the playoffs since he left

"Letting him walk" is not an accurate description
Old 10-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #32
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

3 games in. Is it cellphones making everyone so impatient?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Canucks had two starting goalies (Marsktrom established, Demko emerging after a strong playoff performance). One was younger and cheaper, and the other was a UFA on an expiring contract. It was the year of the Seattle expansion draft, so even if they had signed Markstrom, they would have had to trade either him or Demko, because Seattle would have taken whoever they didn't protect.

So they may have tabled a lowball offer, knowing that they planned to keep Demko anyway, and they only had backup money available for Markstrom. The decision to not offer Markstrom starter's money to stay was strictly a business one.
What revisionist history is this? By all accounts they offered him over 5M. Also Markstrom won the 2 playoff rounds that season, Demko came in when he got hurt. Markstrom had far better numbers than Demko in his final season in Vancouver
Old 10-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #34
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
... I am also the guy that would have traded both Kiprusoff and Iginla after the 04 run.
Uh, what now?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:50 PM   #35
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Whatever, I keep saying that Markstrom only looks good when the team in front of him plays great. Otherwise, he's just an overpaid average goalie. Markstrom is OK but he's no Kipper. I wish Sutter would play Vladar more.
That likely is a good summary of Vladar also.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #36
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think some wanting Vladar over Markstrom is that wild of an idea as it sounds, I personally wouldn't lean that way but can understand those who do. I think Markstrom is a good goalie but something just doesn't seem right about him when you have visions of winning a cup. He has all the physical tools that Vasilevisky has, highly talented but doesn't exactly instil supreme confidence. Hopefully he can figure that out this year.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #37
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

If I had to choose between Markstrom and Demko back then, I would have chosen Demko 100% of the time. I think a lot of us remember watching Demko play for BC (because we were watching Gaudreau, who was on the same team).

Vancouver did the right thing in the situation they were in (I mean it's not exactly a hot take to say that now lol).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:22 PM   #38
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Demko hasn't started the season too hot either. The season has barely started. Let's see what happens in another 7-10 games.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #39
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that this thread exists 4 games in where the Flames are 3-1 and Markstrom just had an illness week ago is embarrassing.

The whole team had focus issues last game.

Last year Markstrom let in 7 goals in his first 2 games was sub 900 and lost both games. He finished 2nd for the Vezina.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:37 PM   #40
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...anic+markstrom

Exact same time last year, same panic level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Not blaming Markstrom for the OT goal, but you're not going to win many games when your $6M goalie is the 2nd best goalie on the ice most nights.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post: