Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #581
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The competition bureau must be listening to Whiteout's thoughts...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/com...627144?cmp=rss
Competition is a bit of a different factor though. It doesn't necessarily mean that the companies in the sector are gouging customers. That's the implication, of course, but the margins don't seem that insane.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #582
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-p...akers-respond/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inf...fits-1.6360277

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/corpo...173207569.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-up-costs-for/

Corporations have never been more profitable right now, the ones who are making money hand over fist for essential Goods can afford to make a little bit less while the inflation crisis is dealt with. Or I guess we can just throw people out of their homes, sure that's a good idea too

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-24-2022 at 09:41 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #583
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'd love to see this journalism as well. The reality is that for Loblaws the long-term growth rate of the stock is 1.7%. I can already hear you saying that the share price is not indicative (I disagree, but we can dig a little deeper!)
What's your baseline for that figure? Over the last 30 or so years, Loblaws' stock has had total return (including dividends) of 11.14% per year. Over the last 10 years it has returned 16.14% per year. It has significantly outperformed the S&P 500 over both those stretches.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #584
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-p...akers-respond/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inf...fits-1.6360277

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/corpo...173207569.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-up-costs-for/

Corporations have never been more profitable right now, the ones who are making money hand over fist for essential Goods can afford to make a little bit less while the inflation crisis is dealt with. Or I guess we can just throw people out of their homes, sure that's a good idea too
Well I think I addressed the point made by the Loblaws article here. The EPS rose, but the revenues aren't rising at the inflationary clip. The reason they're showing the improved bottom-line is because of other factors, obviously.

I know what you're trying to do here. You're saying that profits are higher, ergo the company is shafting people. But the revenues/sales are only up a few percent from the year before. That doesn't account for the increase. They've shown a better profit because there are less shares outstanding and because they've reduced costs. I'd also posit that they've increased their bottom-line selling products with better margins, and that's referenced in that article as well.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #585
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
What's your baseline for that figure? Over the last 30 or so years, Loblaws' stock has had total return (including dividends) of 11.14% per year. Over the last 10 years it has returned 16.14% per year. It has significantly outperformed the S&P 500 over both those stretches.
I took it purely off my research system and just trusted it!
Old 10-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #586
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I think I addressed the point made by the Loblaws article here. The EPS rose, but the revenues aren't rising at the inflationary clip. The reason they're showing the improved bottom-line is because of other factors, obviously.

I know what you're trying to do here. You're saying that profits are higher, ergo the company is shafting people. But the revenues/sales are only up a few percent from the year before. That doesn't account for the increase. They've shown a better profit because there are less shares outstanding and because they've reduced costs. I'd also posit that they've increased their bottom-line selling products with better margins, and that's referenced in that article as well.
Seems like a good thing to investigate to see if there are issues. As mentioned - two companies - Loblaws and Empire (Sobeys) have a large percentage of control in the market (Metro being 3rd). They of course - rightly - want to add Walmart (and Amazon) to that list.

They've engaged in price fixing before - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_...xing_in_Canada - so its not an outlandish claim.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #587
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Seems like a good thing to investigate to see if there are issues. As mentioned - two companies - Loblaws and Empire (Sobeys) have a large percentage of control in the market (Metro being 3rd). They of course - rightly - want to add Walmart (and Amazon) to that list.

They've engaged in price fixing before - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_...xing_in_Canada - so its not an outlandish claim.
Yeah, and it should be investigated. I'm not claiming that they're all great from a consumer point of view and we should all trust them. But in Canada we have a few issues in this realm. The dairy cartel is notably an unchecked issue that we seem to be fine with, and we allow a lot of other oligarchies to run along and do their thing. Banks and telecom jump to mind in that area.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #588
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, and it should be investigated. I'm not claiming that they're all great from a consumer point of view and we should all trust them. But in Canada we have a few issues in this realm. The dairy cartel is notably an unchecked issue that we seem to be fine with, and we allow a lot of other oligarchies to run along and do their thing. Banks and telecom jump to mind in that area.
Telecom for sure. Dairy is more of a government regulations system than a monopoly.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #589
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Telecom for sure. Dairy is more of a government regulations system than a monopoly.
Those government regulations happen with a little* (large) nudging from dairy lobbies. And it has their hands in the pockets of all political parties, which is why it may seem like a government thing.

This just got released a few days ago

https://hir.harvard.edu/canadas-dair...r-of-big-milk/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ive-convention

Maxime Bernier likely lost the CPC leadership race for being anti-cartel. You simply don't mess with the dairy cartel.

Same reason why the Liberals are pushing for censorship bills right now with no visible benefit to Canadians but to the sole benefit of telecoms.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #590
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://openparliament.ca/debates/20...yves-perron-1/

Quote:
Yves Perron Berthier—Maskinongé, QC

Mr. Speaker, today, June 1, we are celebrating World Milk Day. This year, again, I want to acknowledge the contribution of dairy farmers who take care of their herds and put high-quality milk on our tables, as well as precious milk products such as butter, yoghurt and cheese.

Today, milk was delivered to the lobby. It was a good opportunity to raise a glass to the health of our local farmers, which we did with pleasure, because milk and milk products are healthy and nutritious food.

Dairy farmers and farmers of other supply-managed products fared better than others during the pandemic. That is just more proof that they have an effective system. We need to quickly pass version 2.0 of our bill that seeks to protect supply management from any further breaches in future free trade negotiations.

Long live our dairy production here at home.
Yeah....The dairy industry has pretty turned homemade milk into a rallying point for nationalism.

Last edited by Firebot; 10-24-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #591
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd be more fine with supply management as our form of agriculture industry protection over subsidies if the quality was better. I mean, sure. I get it I guess. Why should everyone have to pay to subsidize an industry if they don't buy from it? But paying so much for mediocre product just isn't acceptable.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #592
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I'd be more fine with supply management as our form of agriculture industry protection over subsidies if the quality was better. I mean, sure. I get it I guess. Why should everyone have to pay to subsidize an industry if they don't buy from it? But paying so much for mediocre product just isn't acceptable.
This is my main problem as well. Anecdotally, travelling through the US, I don't see an outsized disparity in dairy prices in Canada, relative to other grocery items. But the lack of selection and quality - that's the real kicker.

Regarding competition in the grocery business in general, I think it's a tough situation. Overall, the business has some pretty high barriers to entry (logistics, supply, real estate) and relatively thin margins... It's something that really requires scale to compete. I don't know how you encourage more competition in such a lack lustre business.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #593
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
How on earth we just accepted hard butter as a country is beyond me.

Breyers ice cream not melting goes viral (even though it's not true) yet our butter literally does not soften at room temperature in the past couple years, we had a few stories last year including on BBC for buttergate, and I guess the dairy cartel stepped in since we've had no new stories in over a year with no action occuring.

Meanwhile I ripped my toast last night trying to spread spreadable butter, which is also very hard

Last edited by Firebot; 10-24-2022 at 01:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #594
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
How on earth we just accepted hard butter as a country is beyond me.

Breyers ice cream not melting goes viral (even though it's not true) yet our butter literally does not soften at room temperature in the past couple years, we had a few stories last year including on BBC for buttergate, and I guess the dairy cartel stepped in since we've had no new stories in over a year with no action occuring.

Meanwhile I ripped my toast last night trying to spread spreadable butter, which is also very hard
Your butter doesn't soften? What are you buying? The butter we use is always soft at room temp and is easy to spread.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #595
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I had the absolute privilege of listening to Benjamin Tal speak yesterday at the National Mortgage Broker conference. He's the Deputy Chief Economist for CIBC, and one of the most respected economists in the country. Guy is brilliant, and a good speaker too.

Highlights:
- "If you give the BoC 2 options - recession vs. inflation, they will choose recession every time"
- Expect a 50bps increase to 3.75% this month, and potentially another 25bps later this year before leveling off, which he does expect to be the case.
I haven't tracked the BoC rate changes over the last year, but have they been that out of line with the Fed? The expectations for the Fed are 75bps in November and 50bps in December. I'm surprised BoC wouldn't try to keep pace with them.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #596
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, it's absolutely both. The quota (just for the right to sell milk) for an average dairy farm is worth over a million dollars.

Buyers aren't paying that much to get into the club because it feels good, they're paying those prices for quota because quota grants them extranormal profits.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #597
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Your butter doesn't soften? What are you buying? The butter we use is always soft at room temp and is easy to spread.
Same with me. I started keeping a stick of butter in a container at room temperature about a year ago and it has been a game changer.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #598
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Same with me. I started keeping a stick of butter in a container at room temperature about a year ago and it has been a game changer.
Dude...thats probably not good anymore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #599
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I haven't tracked the BoC rate changes over the last year, but have they been that out of line with the Fed? The expectations for the Fed are 75bps in November and 50bps in December. I'm surprised BoC wouldn't try to keep pace with them.
The Fed probably has more room to increase rates without killing mortgagees, with just 10% of mortgages in the US being ARMs and the balance being mostly 25 year mortgages. In Canada, 32.5% of mortgages are variable and the balance are mostly 5 year mortgages... and with CMHC on the hook if they default.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #600
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dude...thats probably not good anymore.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: