Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #201
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I'm not sure of the timeline you are referring, but to put that in perspective, by now you would be on the import rate, so energy has a cost around $0.085/kWh, lets assume you pay another $0.08/kWh in fixed and variable fees (estimate only)

so if you produce 181.14kWh (export 112.75 and self consume 68.4) that means your production is worth

112.75 * 0.085 + 68.4*(0.085+0.08) = $20.87

My point is that $20 isn't worth it for me to spend the time to clean them, risk damage to the panel, or injury to myself (I've seen the panels shed snow and I wouldn't want to pull that down on me)

Here are my numbers

October 22 2021 - November 21 2021 = 531 kWh
October 22 2022 - November 22 2022 = 147kWh

I've been covered in snow since November 1, but still for 400kWh were talking $40 potential, so maybe over the course of the whole winter it's a couple hundred, but it's still a drop compared to generation in the summer.

My panels make 11,000kWH/year and make about 10,000kWh during the "export months" when they are valued at $0.285/kWh.

If I miss out on producing 1500kWh during the winter that is also at the import rate of $0.085/kWh. so that 1500kW only accounts for less than 4% of my annual revenue.
ROI is one thing, I like having my house covering its own usage and putting back on the grid whenever possible. That's why if it was practical I would totally clear my panels.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:21 PM   #202
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone taken advantage of the loans for a solar system? I honestly was only half interested in solar until I got my enmax renewal letter, electricity rates are going from $0.06 to $0.11
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #203
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone taken advantage of the loans for a solar system? I honestly was only half interested in solar until I got my enmax renewal letter, electricity rates are going from $0.06 to $0.11
I did the greener homes energy grant.

Longest part of the process was getting the home inspectors to come out to meet that criteria of the grant.

once all was done and submitted, had a cheque in like 3 weeks.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #204
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am hoping to get the paperwork submitted for mine soon. Any recommendations on a local solar installer? I know there are a handful I plan to get quotes from
Old 01-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #205
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am hoping to get the paperwork submitted for mine soon. Any recommendations on a local solar installer? I know there are a handful I plan to get quotes from
I used Virtuoso (now Zeno): https://www.livezeno.com/

Also got a quote from YYC Solar - liked them both, the reason I went with Virtuoso is their solution had the same power, but used only my house roof without touching my detached garage. This leaves me room to install more panels when I get my EV.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #206
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here had the panels installed on a concrete tile roof? If yes, please share the experience and photos, if possible.

Even though the economic feasibility of solar installation in Calgary is still non-existent (i.e. there is no way to justify the investment with the expected financial returns), I am slowly starting to look at it from a different angle: it could be a better alternative electrical backup system for a house than any residential standby generators available on the market. A 24kW Generac will cost about $12,000-$15,000 after installation plus annual maintenance and the risk of natural gas supply interruption. Solar system will cost a bit more but will provide offsets via refunds from the grid. Although, it also has capacity risk in winter months, of course…
Old 01-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #207
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Anyone here had the panels installed on a concrete tile roof? If yes, please share the experience and photos, if possible.

Even though the economic feasibility of solar installation in Calgary is still non-existent (i.e. there is no way to justify the investment with the expected financial returns), I am slowly starting to look at it from a different angle: it could be a better alternative electrical backup system for a house than any residential standby generators available on the market. A 24kW Generac will cost about $12,000-$15,000 after installation plus annual maintenance and the risk of natural gas supply interruption. Solar system will cost a bit more but will provide offsets via refunds from the grid. Although, it also has capacity risk in winter months, of course…
If you plan to use solar to power your home during an outage you will have to have batteries. "Islanding" is not allowed by Enmax, when the power goes out solar cuts off too as they don't want the risk of a home supplying live current to a line they are trying to repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #208
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

As Bigtime mentioned I think you'd need a battery ($18k?) to add on since the power generated from solar either gets used in your home or goes back into the grid

For me the economic feasibility is still a stretch but not as big of one now since my Enmax rate for electricity will soon go from $0.06 to $0.11/kwh
Old 01-18-2023, 02:14 PM   #209
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me the economic feasibility is still a stretch but not as big of one now since my Enmax rate for electricity will soon go from $0.06 to $0.11/kwh
Don't forget to make the switch to a Solar Club and pay/get paid a higher rate in the months you produce more than you consume. Last summer I was on a rate of $0.25/kwh and that moved my electrical bill into the negative, of which I am consuming into over the winter months and back at a lower fixed rate of $0.08/kwh.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #210
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Don't forget to make the switch to a Solar Club and pay/get paid a higher rate in the months you produce more than you consume. Last summer I was on a rate of $0.25/kwh and that moved my electrical bill into the negative, of which I am consuming into over the winter months and back at a lower fixed rate of $0.08/kwh.
How easy is it to switch to a solar club and back?

I just took possession of a new construction and have to wait 6 months to install but have a quote with SolarYYC and Energuy assessment (for the rebate) ready to go.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:01 AM   #211
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
How easy is it to switch to a solar club and back?

I just took possession of a new construction and have to wait 6 months to install but have a quote with SolarYYC and Energuy assessment (for the rebate) ready to go.
You just stay with your solar club and switch to a fixed rate over the months you don't produce more than you use. I'm with ACE (Alberta Cooperative Energy) and they actually have an employee that watches the micro-gen clients and switches them over in the Fall to the fixed rate when it makes sense. They'll then do the same and switch to the producer rate in the Spring when we start producing more.
AC
Old 01-23-2023, 03:24 PM   #212
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still waiting for a solar quote but I noticed Enmax's rate is up to $0.13/kwh now, more than double my current rate
Old 01-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #213
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a solar quote but I noticed Enmax's rate is up to $0.13/kwh now, more than double my current rate
My $0.06 rate is over in May and I am just finalizing my solar design now and hopefully signing off on it next week with an install before my existing Ennax contract is over.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #214
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed my contract for solar install today and hopefully I'll be fully set up and operational sometime in May.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:43 AM   #215
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just signed for the installation as well, I got approved for the interest free loan and looking at an install date of late May
Old 03-02-2023, 07:02 AM   #216
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just signed for the installation as well, I got approved for the interest free loan and looking at an install date of late May
Cool stuff, how long did your loan process take? I applied about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't been approved. I suspect the person looking after my application is slacking.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #217
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cool stuff, how long did your loan process take? I applied about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't been approved. I suspect the person looking after my application is slacking.
Application took about 5 days. I think it was quick because I made a mistake on the original application, I had submitted the pre-GST amount and the quote from the contractor came in higher, so NRCAN needed to contact me directly to clarify. I think that's why it went so quickly otherwise I'd probably still be waiting
Old 03-02-2023, 10:35 AM   #218
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can you combine an electrical upgrade in with the interest free loans for the solar?
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #219
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
Can you combine an electrical upgrade in with the interest free loans for the solar?
In terms of panel upgrades? Yes, I believe that anything that your solar contractor has to do in terms of upgrades ends up in your solar quote and that would be covered by the loan (up to the max loan amount under the program.)
Old 03-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #220
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone care to share what the $/month is on the interest free loan? Wondering if it's a matter of pay the loan or pay the electricity?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote