Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #1481
memphusk
#1 Goaltender
 
memphusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Under 18 it isn't required for entry into the US.

But coming back to Canada the requirement is vaccine or quarantine for 12+
Thank you.
__________________
I hate just about everyone and just about everything.
memphusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #1482
Kiran403
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

My family and I are going to Disneyworld at the end of the month for a week and flying direct to Orlando from Calgary. We have the ArriveCan app and have loaded all of our vaccine info. We're all 2 doses + 1 booster each.

When we go to customs to leave to Florida, do we just have to show the ArriveCan app with our vaccination statuses in order to board or do US Customs require anything else?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #1483
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
My family and I are going to Disneyworld at the end of the month for a week and flying direct to Orlando from Calgary. We have the ArriveCan app and have loaded all of our vaccine info. We're all 2 doses + 1 booster each.

When we go to customs to leave to Florida, do we just have to show the ArriveCan app with our vaccination statuses in order to board or do US Customs require anything else?
ArriveCan is not relevant for travel to the US. You don't need to fill anything out or show anything to US customs for your flight. ArriveCan is for your return flight. The folks in Orlando will check your ArriveCan completion either at the check-in counter or at the gate prior to boarding.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #1484
Kiran403
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
ArriveCan is not relevant for travel to the US. You don't need to fill anything out or show anything to US customs for your flight. ArriveCan is for your return flight. The folks in Orlando will check your ArriveCan completion either at the check-in counter or at the gate prior to boarding.
Really? It says on the US embassy site that proof of vaccination is required.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #1485
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Really? It says on the US embassy site that proof of vaccination is required.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/
That might be the case but US Customs and Border Patrol doesn't seem to check or ask for any documentation. We've flown three times since Christmas and have never had to show proof of vaccination at the airport. If I remember correctly there is an attestation when you are checking in where you have to declare if you are vaccinated and if you have any COVID symptoms but that is it. Maybe they do random checks and we have just been lucky.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 08:00 AM   #1486
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre
 
Ryan Coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

I haven’t travelled to the states for pleasure since the spring, but it was just an attestation during online checkin then. No proof or anything else required. I’ve never had US customs ask about vaccination.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #1487
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

The process for entering the US is that the airlines are required to collect an attestation about symptoms/vaccination, which they do during online checkin. US CBP doesn't check.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #1488
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sunnyvale
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
My family and I are going to Disneyworld at the end of the month for a week and flying direct to Orlando from Calgary. We have the ArriveCan app and have loaded all of our vaccine info. We're all 2 doses + 1 booster each.

When we go to customs to leave to Florida, do we just have to show the ArriveCan app with our vaccination statuses in order to board or do US Customs require anything else?
You will not go through customs until you arrive back in YYC…. There will likely be a WestJet employee (at check in) verifying that you’ve filled out the App and verifying vaccine status as you’re checking your bags. You may be able to submit information via online check in as well through WesJet, Someone who has flown WestJet home from the US can confirm this. We’ve flown back via AA and Delta and that’s how it was handled both times and had to check in in person (not on their dedicated Apps) as their apps would not permit uploading this information. When you land in YYC, CBSA may or may not ask to see any of the information.
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-11-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:51 PM   #1489
cSpooge
Scoring Winger
 
cSpooge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
You will not go through customs until you arrive back in YYC…. There will likely be a WestJet employee (at check in) verifying that you’ve filled out the App and verifying vaccine status as you’re checking your bags. You may be able to submit information via online check in as well through WesJet, Someone who has flown WestJet home from the US can confirm this. We’ve flown back via AA and Delta and that’s how it was handled both times and had to check in in person (not on their dedicated Apps) as their apps would not permit uploading this information. When you land in YYC, CBSA may or may not ask to see any of the information.

I flew Westjet back from Seattle last week and they just verified my passport after I check in online, the app didn't ask for my vax info or anything.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #1490
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

I just got back from Las Vegas, and holy sh-t is the Canadian air travel experience stupid with respect to the whole mask and ArriveCAN business. I thought the security theatre was bad, this is just insipid.

YYC to LAS:
We were advised to arrive ~2 hours before our flight.
- No mask to enter the airport. I did have to show the ticket counter person my vaccination record.
- At the security line, I was asked for ID and my boarding pass, then asked to put a mask on.
- At the Global Entry machine after the security check, I needed to remove my mask for the photo. As I was about to put it back on, I was advised by a CBP guard that I would need to take it off again anyway at the US CBP desk for identity verification. Indeed, I was asked by the US CBP agent to remove my mask. I walked away from the US CBP desk without putting it back on and passed through Duty Free to find a restaurant.
The whole process to this point took under 20 minutes. I fail to see why we needed to be there 2 hours in advance, so good job YYC. Let's continue.
- We were informed that we would need to put masks on to board the aircraft, so people instinctively started putting them on... except that WestJet is using biometric facial recognition at the gate, so you are informed to remove your mask again, then put it back on in the jetway. (Most people not put it back on in the jetway.)
- Once reaching the aircraft doors, we were then instructed to put our masks on.
- We took off, and then drink and food service was provided at which point everyone started removing their masks.
- Masks were required once food service ended though most people kept rocking them 'chin diaper' style.
- Pretty much everyone took them off once they set foot off the aircraft into the jetway to enter the terminal.

Instead of getting a direct flight, we somehow ended up with a connection in Edmonton. This was particularly annoying because the only direct option we were given by Expedia was at 6:30 AM yet there was a Calgary direct flight leaving LAS at pretty much the exact same time as the flight to Edmonton. It made for a long day, especially considering we started it badly hungover.

LAS to YEG to YYC:
- We completed our ArriveCAN about 40 hours before our flight (you can do it up to 48 hours). Doing it this way prevents you from completing your customs declaration digitally, I believe if you want to do that then you have to do your ArriveCAN the day of your return flight. Create your traveler profile in the app ahead of time. I did and it made the whole process much faster as you will need to upload a PDF or JPG of your vaccine proof from the Alberta COVID Records site.
- No mask to enter the airport.
- The WestJet agent at the check-in desk asked to see my completed ArriveCAN and then wrote 'AC√' in green sharpie on my ticket. I'm not even certain she scanned the QR code, but if it was scanned at all, this would be when.
- The line-up at LAS moves impressively fast, even for how long it is. The TSA PreCheck line basically doesn't exist as a 'line', it moves so quickly that it didn't really have a chance for people to stack up there. I was through in 2 minutes, queue to exit.
- WestJet boarding, "please wear your mask but take it off for the biometric face scan, then put it back on in the jetway". Of course, no one does until they actually get to the plane.
- Same as before, food service starts and the masks come off, it finishes and those without beverages handy all put them back on in chin-diaper mode.
- Arriving in YEG for CBSA, masks required through the secure area to get to CBSA.
- Prior to entering the CBSA area, airport staff ask to see your ArriveCAN app barcode for some stupid reason. They don't even scan them, they just want to visually 'see' the barcode. I don't know why they bother, you don't get a boarding pass in the US without it, and no one in the CBSA area scans it either.
- Mask removed for identification to the CBSA agent. Mask back on for the 30 seconds to take the connecting flights elevator back to departures. Mask off again.

YEG to YYC:
- Same WestJet story: mask off for facial verification, but on for the jetway. We're taking a turboprop and boarding off the tarmac. No one puts their mask on until they get to the steps of the aircraft.
- Food service, same thing, mask off, then on again.
- Deplaning in YYC, masks off as soon as everyone hits the jetway and are prompted stuffed in bags or nearby garbage receptacles.

Takeways:
- YYC seems to be handling travel pretty damned well, at least where international destinations are concerned.
- ArriveCAN seems to be actually used once (getting your ticket in the US) and then everyone just kind of looks at the QR code like they can read it and says "Yeah okay".
- The masking protocol is completely braindead and Transport Canada needs to stop this silly bullsh-t. People are touching their goddamn masks with so much regularity because of this ongoing f-ckwittery. Get your vaccines and boosters, and wear a proper medical mask if you feel you need greater protection, just stop with this theatre.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:


Last edited by TorqueDog; 09-12-2022 at 03:07 PM.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #1491
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

The masking is so stupid when it comes to Canadian carriers. On our recent flight to Florida I sat down in my seat and the guy that was already sitting beside me was drinking a coffee so he obviously wasn't wearing a mask. You could tell he didn't want to wear a mask but he hesitantly put it on because we were all wearing masks. After a while of sitting there during boarding we started chatting and it turned out he was a Physician from Calgary and was flying from the UK to Florida and he had some amazing takes on the COVID theatre in Canada.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #1492
calgaryred
Franchise Player
 
calgaryred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chilliwack, B.C
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The masking is so stupid when it comes to Canadian carriers. On our recent flight to Florida I sat down in my seat and the guy that was already sitting beside me was drinking a coffee so he obviously wasn't wearing a mask. You could tell he didn't want to wear a mask but he hesitantly put it on because we were all wearing masks. After a while of sitting there during boarding we started chatting and it turned out he was a Physician from Calgary and was flying from the UK to Florida and he had some amazing takes on the COVID theatre in Canada.
Big reason why I'm flying BA to London next year
calgaryred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #1493
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Big reason why I'm flying BA to London next year
I believe foreign carriers have the same rules to/from Canada. I flew Alaska air from California to Seattle then Seattle to Calgary a couple of months ago, and nobody on the US domestic flight was masking and it wasn't mentioned.

When boarding to Calgary they required masks, apologized that it was a Canadian government rule they had no choice but to follow.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #1494
calgaryred
Franchise Player
 
calgaryred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chilliwack, B.C
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I believe foreign carriers have the same rules to/from Canada. I flew Alaska air from California to Seattle then Seattle to Calgary a couple of months ago, and nobody on the US domestic flight was masking and it wasn't mentioned.



When boarding to Calgary they required masks, apologized that it was a Canadian government rule they had no choice but to follow.
From British Airways website it shows which countries require passengers to wear masks to and from destinations and in airports. For USA no masks, Germany yes to masks to and from Germany to UK but no masks in their airports, for Canada yes to wear a mask coming from UK to Canada and in Canadian Airports, but it says no masks required flying from Canada to UK, so at least half the trip is mask free for now.

Last edited by calgaryred; 09-12-2022 at 09:38 PM.
calgaryred is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 01:52 PM   #1495
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
From British Airways website it shows which countries require passengers to wear masks to and from destinations and in airports. For USA no masks, Germany yes to masks to and from Germany to UK but no masks in their airports, for Canada yes to wear a mask coming from UK to Canada and in Canadian Airports, but it says no masks required flying from Canada to UK, so at least half the trip is mask free for now.
Interesting, thanks! I flew westjet on the way down and masks were required, but that could be because they're a Canadian carrier.

I assumed the rules were the same both directions because that would make sense, but maybe that isn't a good test...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #1496
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Interesting, thanks! I flew westjet on the way down and masks were required, but that could be because they're a Canadian carrier.

I assumed the rules were the same both directions because that would make sense, but maybe that isn't a good test...
None of this makes sense, that's the problem.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 PM   #1497
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Rumors are that the government is finally ready to remove the vaccine mandate for cross border travel and will scrap random testing. I can't read the article because of the paywall but hopefully this means that ArriveCan will be suspended as well and maybe even the mask mandate will go away.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pol...g-sources.html
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #1498
Lubicon
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

That would be nice, hopefully also removing the masking mandate as well.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #1499
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

F-cking please, I hope so. It won't be in time for my work trip to Seattle, but we're trying to get a week or two of sun destination vacation in, and it would be nice not to have to go through this bull again.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #1500
Kiran403
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

For those who have recently flown YYC direct to a US destination, is it still advisable to arrive 3 hours early instead of the usual 2 hours prior to departure? How has it been for early morning flights in terms of how fast people are getting through security etc?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021