Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #1341
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pearson airport sounds like a total disaster from the headlines and if I was travelling this summer I would try to avoid it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:48 PM   #1342
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish I could avoid it. Between that and Portugal still requiring a covid test, I'm a lot less confident in my vacation actually happening than I would like to be.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:18 PM   #1343
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I hope that YYZ can get their #### figured out before we travel through there in August. We have a red-eye from YYC to YYZ and a 10:30 flight to Florida. I normally avoid YYZ at all costs but I just couldn't on this trip unfortunately.
Could you maybe get to YYZ a day before instead of doing the red eye? Though hopefully this chaos is fixed by August... It's gotta be fixed by then, right?!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:16 PM   #1344
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Could you maybe get to YYZ a day before instead of doing the red eye? Though hopefully this chaos is fixed by August... It's gotta be fixed by then, right?!
I feel like red-eye is probably better than a day early because we have less time to kill, we can stay airside and don't have to deal with CATSA at YYZ. We just have to go through US Customs at YYZ and it sounds like that isn't too bad for delays and backups. We have 3.5 hours to make our US connection that morning.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 06-09-2022 at 10:24 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #1345
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

US dropping the covid testing requirement for air travel this weekend:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/polit...ent/index.html
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #1346
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

More good news for the transportation and travel industry. About time too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #1347
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Fantastic news! Perfect timing as well as I won't have to test for my Vegas trip later this month. It is a small inconvenience but it makes things so much easier.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #1348
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Great. Canada will benefit from this as well with more Americans visiting Canada without worrying about testing to go home.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #1349
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Pearson airport sounds like a total disaster from the headlines and if I was travelling this summer I would try to avoid it
Just spent $340x2 to change our layover there from 1:24 to 4:57 as we will be having to clear US customs, on July 1.....
Great news on dropping the testing requirement.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:20 PM   #1350
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

So our passport saga continuesÖ managed to get an appointment at Harry Hays for this morning; it turns out the applications we submitted in person in early April (with an ETA for early May) havenít even been opened yet. I was hoping for the best but knew that was a possibility.

So I requested to have the applications transferred to Calgary where I could pick up the passports once they are printed (costs $20 per application; they waived the $45 transfer fee); the rub is that they wonít even start processing it until closer to our date of travel (early July) and I apparently donít have the option of submitting a new application until 3 days before we leave. So Iím keeping my fingers crossed that they will print them during that small window of 3-10 days before our trip, but Iím fully expecting to have to go back to Harry Hays with a brand new application as a backup.

The good news is that based on what I observed today they are prioritizing all of the urgent applications (i.e. moving them to the front of the line) and based an another CP post I wonít get charged any extra fees for an ďurgentĒ passport, just the inconvenience.

I was also told part of the issue is people working remotely, so often they donít have the actual physical documents in hand so itís harder to keep track of things in the queue.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #1351
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
So our passport saga continuesÖ managed to get an appointment at Harry Hays for this morning; it turns out the applications we submitted in person in early April (with an ETA for early May) havenít even been opened yet. I was hoping for the best but knew that was a possibility.

So I requested to have the applications transferred to Calgary where I could pick up the passports once they are printed (costs $20 per application; they waived the $45 transfer fee); the rub is that they wonít even start processing it until closer to our date of travel (early July) and I apparently donít have the option of submitting a new application until 3 days before we leave. So Iím keeping my fingers crossed that they will print them during that small window of 3-10 days before our trip, but Iím fully expecting to have to go back to Harry Hays with a brand new application as a backup.

The good news is that based on what I observed today they are prioritizing all of the urgent applications (i.e. moving them to the front of the line) and based an another CP post I wonít get charged any extra fees for an ďurgentĒ passport, just the inconvenience.

I was also told part of the issue is people working remotely, so often they donít have the actual physical documents in hand so itís harder to keep track of things in the queue.
Our civil service and federal government are failing us. One only has to look at the mess at our major airports and things like passports for evidence. For passports I can't be staffing levels - I assume there are just as many workers as pre-pandemic yet they are only processing 1/2 the volume they used to. This is not acceptable. WFH orders ended quite some time ago, why are they still being allowed to do so when it is obviously having a negative impact on customer service. This really pisses me off.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #1352
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Feds expected to announce an end to random arrival testing at Canada's airports

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...ting-1.6484759

Personally, I don't think this has been one of the significant issues causing delays at YYZ. More to do with staffing challenges.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #1353
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Our civil service and federal government are failing us. One only has to look at the mess at our major airports and things like passports for evidence. For passports I can't be staffing levels - I assume there are just as many workers as pre-pandemic yet they are only processing 1/2 the volume they used to. This is not acceptable. WFH orders ended quite some time ago, why are they still being allowed to do so when it is obviously having a negative impact on customer service. This really pisses me off.
No idea what numbers were like prior to March 2020 but there has been a huge increase of applications.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8829495/c...ion-wait-time/

Roughly 363,000 passports were issued from April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2021, and that number jumped to more than 1.2 million from April 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022. Service Canada estimates that in March and April of this year alone, it received 500,000 applications.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8908731/s...ines-edmonton/

Since April, more than 317,000 passports have been handed out, and the federal forecast for 2022-2023 is between 3.6 million and 4.3 million applications.

Officials have been bracing for a rise in passport demand with the relaxation of COVID-19 border measures, bringing on 600 new employees to help sort through the influx of paperwork. Last month, Service Canada reopened all passport service counters across the country, and additional counters have been added at more than 300 centres.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-10-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #1354
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
No idea what numbers were like prior to March 2020 but there has been a huge increase of applications.

Roughly 363,000 passports were issued from April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2021, and that number jumped to more than 1.2 million from April 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022. Service Canada estimates that in March and April of this year alone, it received 500,000 applications.

Since April, more than 317,000 passports have been handed out, and the federal forecast for 2022-2023 is between 3.6 million and 4.3 million applications.

Officials have been bracing for a rise in passport demand with the relaxation of COVID-19 border measures, bringing on 600 new employees to help sort through the influx of paperwork. Last month, Service Canada reopened all passport service counters across the country, and additional counters have been added at more than 300 centres.
In 2018-2019 fiscal year the government issued 3.1 MM passports, or just over 250k per month. Exactly on pace with the number of applications they estimate they received in March and April.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #1355
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

I'll acknowledge application volumes are huge, but Canada issued 3.1 million passports in 2019 compared to 1.2 million in the past 12 months. That's over twice as many.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration.../passport.html
Old 06-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #1356
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada was issuing ~5 million passports a year 10-15 years ago, so I'm not sure why they're struggling with 1.2 million in the last year. Yeah, introducing the 10-year option likely reduced annual numbers, but you'd still think there'd be ~3 million a year expected each year (there are ~24 million passports issued).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #1357
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Darn, the US dropping testing requirements is going to be an inconvenience for me. I still need to test to go to Portugal and was counting on having the testing site at YYC. I imagine it won't stay open much longer, if their biggest customer group disappears. Any other suggestions to get a RAT the morning of my flight in July? Ease of access and speed are priority over cost.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #1358
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Darn, the US dropping testing requirements is going to be an inconvenience for me. I still need to test to go to Portugal and was counting on having the testing site at YYC. I imagine it won't stay open much longer, if their biggest customer group disappears. Any other suggestions to get a RAT the morning of my flight in July? Ease of access and speed are priority over cost.

Shopperís Drug Mart worked for me. Go to their website, book an appointment, show up, and ~20 minutes later youíll have your results. $40 CAD

https://shoppersdrugmart.medmeapp.co...apid-Screening
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #1359
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

This is because the federal mandate for WFH hasn't been lifted. All federal regulated workplaces have still not returned to the office. It doesn't matter what the provinces say about WFH mandates the federal rules are what have to be followed.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #1360
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder when the mask mandate on flights and in airports will be lifted in Canada. It is non existent in the US and much of Europe at this point. It becomes harder to enforce the more of an outlier we become.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: