Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #1401
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Wow, that looks slick! I would totally buy one.

The only downside of PHEVs is you don't get the reduced complexity benefits of an EV, now you have MORE things to break than either an EV or ICE car.
At least its has a fair chance at Toyota reliability so if I were going to buy a PHEV (which I wouldn't) that'd be the manufacturer I go with.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:31 PM   #1402
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that's a good point too.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:27 PM   #1403
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted a Rav4 prime, but you can't get them here.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #1404
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Dumb question that I'm too tired to use my brain on...how does the cold shake things out cost wise? Are you getting fewer miles per kWh and still paying to charge the entire capacity? Or is it just harder to utilize all of the energy in the battery, but it doesn't necessarily get depleted?

I think to my older iphones on the ski hill - they'd power themselves off in the cold but still have like 50% battery when I powered them on again indoors...
Looks like a 25% range reduction for me during the recent cold snap, closer to a 15% range reduction now at the milder temperatures compared to the 20C fall. It's purely just fewer miles per kWh and so the cost goes up.

Using my electricity bill and not considering the current $50 rebate, I'm paying about 19 cents/kwh all in, so a full 77 kwh charge (about 400 km) is about $15, or 3.75c/km. Dropping my range down to 300 km due to winter makes it 5c/km.

In my old Toyota Matrix, I got about 450km on 40L, or 13c/km assuming $1.50/L and this is a very efficient and small car.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:32 AM   #1405
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The new Prius looks pretty good and is available as a PHEV.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...prius-preview/
The bump in HP should make it fun to drive. I think the Prime gets close to 220 when you add in the battery.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #1406
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...is_dead_tesla/

I think we're going to hear a lot more stories like this once more Teslas approach and exceed the 10 year age mark
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #1407
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...is_dead_tesla/

I think we're going to hear a lot more stories like this once more Teslas approach and exceed the 10 year age mark
Really disagree if you're talking about frequency because of build quality, but agree if you mean where Tesla wants billions for repair work only they can do

The real issue is right to repair. If only Tesla can fix a Tesla, what's stopping them from jacking up the after warranty prices?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #1408
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah if I was buying an EV I'd probably plan to not own it past its warranty period until there's alternatives to the dealerships for post warranty to repair.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:01 PM   #1409
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Right to Repair apply to EVs?

That Reddit thread seemed to imply it didn't.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:59 PM   #1410
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Does Right to Repair apply to EVs?

That Reddit thread seemed to imply it didn't.
I think it's only voluntary in Canada anyways but there's little legislative relief for a guy who owns a broken car that no one but the manufacturer knows how to fix even if all the parts are available to the consumer
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 11:05 PM   #1411
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Looks like a 25% range reduction for me during the recent cold snap, closer to a 15% range reduction now at the milder temperatures compared to the 20C fall. It's purely just fewer miles per kWh and so the cost goes up.

Using my electricity bill and not considering the current $50 rebate, I'm paying about 19 cents/kwh all in, so a full 77 kwh charge (about 400 km) is about $15, or 3.75c/km. Dropping my range down to 300 km due to winter makes it 5c/km.

In my old Toyota Matrix, I got about 450km on 40L, or 13c/km assuming $1.50/L and this is a very efficient and small car.
Yeah I get about 20% range reduction as soon as I start heated climate/seats but since its already so cheap and convenient to recharge at home it never compares to any ICE or PHEV equivalent. I also got 20% range increase over the summer without AC. Bonus when your car is plugged in you aren't affecting its range at all so by turning on heated seats and climate ahead of time to pre-departure.

It is important to remember as Canadien EV owners:

Its not as efficient to charge at temps -0C. It costs more to charge at -0C then it does to charge at 10C from an electrical point of view. At fast chargers you won't be able to charge fast unless your battery heater preconditions ahead of time.
Regen braking isn't as efficient when the battery is below 5C. It doesn't matter what EV, if you want regen braking to be efficient below a certain temperature then the EV is warming the battery.

Canada fast charging is by time and not kw delivered. Its crazy this still hasn't been fixed especially considering most EVs struggle at fast charging in the cold.

I do love my EV but if I lived in Calgary I wouldn't buy one if I didn't have a garage.

Last edited by CASe333; 11-22-2022 at 11:47 PM.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #1412
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Yeah I get about 20% range reduction as soon as I start heated climate/seats but since its already so cheap and convenient to recharge at home it never compares to any ICE or PHEV equivalent. I also got 20% range increase over the summer without AC. Bonus when your car is plugged in you aren't affecting its range at all so by turning on heated seats and climate ahead of time to pre-departure.

It is important to remember as Canadien EV owners:

Its not as efficient to charge at temps -0C. It costs more to charge at -0C then it does to charge at 10C from an electrical point of view. At fast chargers you won't be able to charge fast unless your battery heater preconditions ahead of time.
Regen braking isn't as efficient when the battery is below 5C. It doesn't matter what EV, if you want regen braking to be efficient below a certain temperature then the EV is warming the battery.

Canada fast charging is by time and not kw delivered. Its crazy this still hasn't been fixed especially considering most EVs struggle at fast charging in the cold.

I do love my EV but if I lived in Calgary I wouldn't buy one if I didn't have a garage.
20% range reduction is pretty significant and I never considered that might apply to summer too when running AC. That's an eye opener.

Also the part about not only having a garage but a heated garage is significant. That's a pretty small segment of the population all of a sudden.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #1413
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
20% range reduction is pretty significant and I never considered that might apply to summer too when running AC. That's an eye opener.

Also the part about not only having a garage but a heated garage is significant. That's a pretty small segment of the population all of a sudden.
You don't need a heated garage, because once charging it can use electricity to keep everything properly conditioned for charging.

The 20% range loss for AC is a new one, but I think that was for early Model 3's without the heat pump?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #1414
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never got anywhere near a 20% range drop with AC on. In fact, I never noticed an appreciable difference at all.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #1415
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
My unheated and uninsulated garage is regularly up to 10C warmer than it is outside during the winter. That makes a big difference already.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #1416
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We bought the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and it is amazing. I would never go back to a gasoline car ever.
My wife and I really like the Ioniq, how long was your delivery time/how long did the dealer quote you when you ordered?
Old 12-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #1417
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So I have a potential deal in place to trade in my 2020 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, 52k km, and get a 2023 Hyundai Kona EV.

Payments would go up $80 biweekly, but I’d save a tank of gas biweekly or more.

Adds three years or payments to the backend though.

The only reason why it’s close to working out is because they are offering me close to what I paid new for the Ioniq as a trade in.

Seems like a decent deal, just a little hesitant to take on more car debt right now.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #1418
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So I have a potential deal in place to trade in my 2020 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, 52k km, and get a 2023 Hyundai Kona EV.

Payments would go up $80 biweekly, but I’d save a tank of gas biweekly or more.

Adds three years or payments to the backend though.

The only reason why it’s close to working out is because they are offering me close to what I paid new for the Ioniq as a trade in.

Seems like a decent deal, just a little hesitant to take on more car debt right now.
Hmm that 3rd paragraph is kinda snuck in like its nothing, is it a lease or? If financed thats more than $80 biweekly if adding 3 years. Unless I'm missing something here. Both great cars though so I guess win-win in the end lol
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #1419
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
I also got 20% range increase over the summer without AC.
Quote:
20% range reduction is pretty significant and I never considered that might apply to summer too when running AC. That's an eye opener..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I never got anywhere near a 20% range drop with AC on. In fact, I never noticed an appreciable difference at all.
I should clarify as this was misunderstood and I didn't initially explain what I meant at all; note I said 20% range increase during the summer. What I was trying to say was that during the summer under optimal EV driving conditions (ie. city driving) with no AC I was getting 20% over the expected range. I was getting 580km range on a full charge vs advertised total range of 480km. With AC this would drop 5-8% only when the AC was running and I would usually turn it off after 5min. Highway driving would lower it closer to the expected range too. Driving 90-100km/hr would be close to expected range and driving above 110km/hr drops it below.

That said all of these things are true for an ICE car too. They will be just as inefficient for AC and speeding. The only reason they heat well is they are such a heat loss at all times!

As far as my comment about recommending a garage for new Canadian EV owners with proper winters I would rephrase and say at the very least make sure you have a private dedicated spot that you can always level 1 charge at and then make sure if your commute is over the range you can charge from level 1 overnight charging then you can easily install level 2 charging. So basically have a garage or carport with decent electrical. Also level 1 charging is inefficient in the cold so it does eat away at a bit of the fuel savings.

Here is a good reddit thread from a no good Albertan northerner with an Ioniq 5 (note they have a garage and love their EV from their comments):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comm...al_winter_day/

Last edited by CASe333; 12-08-2022 at 10:40 PM.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:48 PM   #1420
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Hmm that 3rd paragraph is kinda snuck in like its nothing, is it a lease or? If financed thats more than $80 biweekly if adding 3 years. Unless I'm missing something here. Both great cars though so I guess win-win in the end lol
Financed. So in the short term, my payments would go up $80 biweekly, and then for three years after my current payments would expire, I’d still be paying the new payments.