Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nakamura vs Hardy - Just a nothing match except for Jeff's missed Swanton. I just don't like Nak's moveset, its not that interesting. But this match had no energy which is surprising with Hardy and Nakamora, but the previous lengthy list of previous matches being bad had killed the crowd.

**/5

Orton came out and I guess he realized that he hadn't shown Dewy Foley his junk yet so he went backstage to find him.

Bliss vs Rousey - I've talked about this match, its bad booking and basically has made the woman's evolution uninteresting to me now. There's a Woman's sports entertainer revolution and then there's one for Rousey. Forget it, I don't want to review it. I want to add that the best indication that the WWE doesn't know what they're doing here. Stephanie McMahon got in offense against Rhonda. If I'm Alexa I'm punching out the producer of the match and going home for 6 months.

-*********/5 Stars

Reigns against Lesnar - I mean I've got nothing except the vision that Vince at his share holder call had a bet that he could make sure that this company would lose 1000's of network subscriptions. Challenge accepted

*/5

I believe that the fact that Brock was pinned with one spear and Heyman didn't turn and now has nothing to do indicates that both men are done with the WWE. Heyman will probably come out and beg for a job tomorrow from Roman just to complete the humiliation and end up getting murdered in the back of a garbage truck.

Overall */5, the fact that there were a bunch of squash matches on a ppv is unforgivable. The WWE destroyed Bliss, the Woman's division, Strowman all in one night, now its time to get pizza.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I left my apartment after Becky beat the crap out of Charlotte. From reading, I didn't miss much
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said I wasn't going to watch but I was super hungover today and wanted some mindless entertainment. It wasn't very good.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #24
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe i had low expectations but i was very sports entertained

The universal title appearing every week on raw is a win, dont care who won it, the fake out with braun was great, the audience counted the 1 2 3 and lots of cheers for the win too, who would have said that a month ago, but they almost have to cash it in now tomorrow or braun looks a fraud

Alexa bliss can go away for awhile now or at least the midcard, shes not believable in the ring anymore, carmella is starting to look like a seasoned pro compared to her, no legit offense and she cant sell, being great on the mic is one thing but shes basically the female enzo

I really liked miz and d bry and joe vs aj. Good matches, sets up both for longer term fueds. AJ snapping at the end was what he needed.

Not sure what they were trying to do with becky, if they expected a heel turn by the most over women babyface on the roster by that attack its just bad planning

Once balor was the demon him squashing the constable was the only way, hopefully this leads to balor with a reset and back up the card, would love to see him vs roman as the next fued

Seth vs dolph was solid, still feel ambrose turns sooner than later

Rest was decent, new day looking almost to beat the bludgeons to the point they took a dq was a nice change, hope shinsuke moves on from hardy now, the KO thing has to be leading to something, maybe he snaps and goes back to being the fight anyone guy rather than the coward
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fair enough.

The KO thing leads to nothing, they've basically made KO into a idiotic loser Keystone cop over the last year. He's gone from being a intriguing character to being the Barry Horowitz of Raw.

I didn't think that Miz vs Bryan was terrible, it had no real emotion and it was a launching pad for Brie vs Maryse.

The fans chanted 1 2 3 on lesnar because they expected Braun to challenge right away. Reading some reports, when Roman left the ring the crowd wasn't happy. Why do you think they went off of the air as quickly as they did? I was hpping that they would put Heyman with Reigns so Reigns could just fricken stop talking because everything he says is stupid. He's kind of like a cousin of mine.

Frankly I don't want Roman on my TV every monday, he's boring and his promo's are garbage. I can hope that they get the belt off of him. But I expect Braun to cash in and get squashed to build up Roman as an awesome champ. I'm getting he gets boo'd out of the building tomorrow.

I think Alexa did a good job tonight, I mean all she did was sell. At least she knows how to generate a crowd reaction, nobody gives a crap about Bayley or Sasha or Asuka who were supposed to be the guiding lights in the company. I would expect that Alexa will be off of TV for a while they really sold the elbow, even though frankly everyone knows she can dislocate it on command.

The only reason to keep the network is for NXT and the Library, but this is like the third really subpar ppv in a row.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-19-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #26
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got suckered in to watch this one...overall I gave it a C- they did just enough to not be terrible but far from being great. 3 squash matches on a PPV plus a DQ? Is this 1999 WCW? Every so often I get suckered in to watch PPV’s with my brother in law. Each time I leave shaking my head at how far the product has fallen. It’s painful to get through 4 1/2 hours of mediocre wrestling. The industry is stale. Without a legitimate threat to the WWE, the industry will continue to flounder. Unfortunately there will never be another company that can truly push the WWE. Lack of competition is killing things.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #27
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Got suckered in to watch this one...overall I gave it a C- they did just enough to not be terrible but far from being great. 3 squash matches on a PPV plus a DQ? Is this 1999 WCW? Every so often I get suckered in to watch PPV’s with my brother in law. Each time I leave shaking my head at how far the product has fallen. It’s painful to get through 4 1/2 hours of mediocre wrestling. The industry is stale. Without a legitimate threat to the WWE, the industry will continue to flounder. Unfortunately there will never be another company that can truly push the WWE. Lack of competition is killing things.
I guarantee you it's WWE. The Indies have never been stronger, in the US, England and Japan.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #28
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Fair enough.

The only reason to keep the network is for NXT and the Library, but this is like the third really subpar ppv in a row.
You keep mentioning the library....I have the WWE Network and I find the On Demand channel to be severely lacking. Am I missing something?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Through their web app? There's want for nothing. I login it asks me for my shaw ID and blammo 8 billion hours of stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man they couldn't get that show off of the air quick enough. I can just see the poor TV guys

Producer - "Ok, lets zoom in on Roman and really jack up the music and zoom in on his joyous face"

Voice from the background - "Shut it down PAL"

Producer - "But Mr McMAh . . ."

Vince - "I said shut it down, and you load all the trucks as fast as you can"

Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #31
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched Takeover - loved that Undisputed Era vs. Mustache Mountain match. It's amazing how much good wrestling and a good in-ring story can trump any other component of 'wrasslin entertainment'.

I didn't hate Summerslam, I liked the Styles / Joe and Rollins / Ziggler matches, but man - they need to take a cue from NXT. Focus on the wrestling more; give people a reason to watch. Put more emphasis on the in-ring story. Hopefully Tyson Kidd starts booking more and more matches going forward. I think the biggest thing is for Vince to just retire; he's so out of tune with today's wrestling fans.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So for the most part I'm still looking at Summer Slam as just a booking disaster

1) Frankly they used Braun to keep the crowd from completely pooping on the match, though the chant of "You both suck" started up.

2) They finished off Kevin Owens.

3) Daniel Bryan who has basically lost his returning from the grave heat, didn't do much to regain it, and this match seemed all about setting up Maryse vs Brie at Evolution

4) The fans cheering Becky beating the crap out of Charlotte really shows how out of touch the booking is

5) The main event and especially the way it ended was terrible. Fans are happy that a part timer like Lesnar is gone. But lets be honest, Reigns is going to be champion for a long time, and every monday he's going to show up, stomp down to the ring, do a promo heavy on "Yo's, and my yard" Every week we're going to see him beat people with the same two move sets, and we're going to go, "Hey man, remember when Brock showed up once in a while and at PPV's, I miss that, sigh". Also next step in the Vince plan to Hulkanize Reigns, "The destruction of Braun Strowman, and the removal of the briefcase of Rah. Children you can bet that Braun is cashing in tonight, and he's going to lose gloriously, and probably Kevin Owens is going to screw him in a predictable way. Its coming, Vince wants to get rid of the briefcase threat and move onto the Hogan/return of a new NWO versus the one man killing machine Roman Reigns.

You know I had a thought, maybe now that Kevin Owen's is nothing they could repackage him as the Kato to Braun's Green Hornet?

6) anyways, on the Alexa vs Rousey thing, I don't mind that Ronda is champion, I thought the booking of the match was lazy and destructive. In my mind Bliss in the current form is buried. But I had a thought because I like story telling.

Step 1, the further destruction of Bliss

Tonight Alexa comes storming out to the ring with a cast on her arm, she demands her rematch. Instead of hearing Ronda's music, we hear Steph's music. Steph comes down and tells her for her own good, because after last night its clear that the only thing that's going to happen is that Alexa is going to get hurt, that her rematch clause is nullified

Step two a couple of weeks down the road. Alexa comes down to the ring, still with a cast, She's accompanied by Alicia who still has a bandage on her arm. She calls down management, and Kurt and Corbin comes down. Alexa replays the clip where she told Kurt that he doesn't protect his champion, then reminds Kurt that he's best friends with Ronda and she wants to talk to someone that is actually competent.

So Steph comes down, and Alexa points out her and Alicia's injuries, then she shows Steph getting injured by Ronda, then she calls down Nia Jax and Mickie who have been missing since they met Ronda in the ring.

Then Alexa pauses and calls down the new Advocate for this group of Woman, and Paul Heymnan comes down. To shorten this up. Heyman informs Steph that Ronda's arm bar is dangerous and that it has injured everyone that it has been used on. Because of that Heyman on legal advice has started a multi-million dollar lawsuit againt Ronda and the WWE unless the arm bar is banned.

So the reasoning

1) It makes Alexa look smart, she can't beat Ronda physically.

2) It gives Heyman something to do and he can advocate for the girls in the group like Nia and Alicia who suck on the mic

3) Take the arm bar away from Ronda. That way you can make her appear to be beatable and it helps her by making the Producers not be so lazy in booking her matches.

Its the ban the powerbomb to me.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I don't care about Kevin Owens anymore. I find his character annoying and whiny, and it hasn't grown or evolved since he first started in NXT. Hate me for saying this, but I also think he's an overrated wrestler. His schtick is so old and outdated now.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reigns vs. Lesnar screamed to me that Lesnar wasn't really willing to risk getting hurt.

Also don't think Strowman comes off looking that bad - first he got the surprise through the rope attack and then surprise F-5 by Lesnar. Then weapon attacked. Makes more sense then him losing the briefcase if they wanted Roman to walk out as champ (really he should have just said I cash this is tomorrow night on Raw and set it up that way).

Agree about how they handled Bliss though- 5 time champ who has been able to maneuver her way past all challengers - and the she gets squashed by Rousey. Way to cheapen the rest of the division.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I go back to Steph getting in a lot more offense against Rousey, you can argue that she's inexperienced compared to Steph, but Steph came out looking like a million bucks against Ronda. Bliss came out looking like a no talent hack who wasn't even a smart enough bad girl who had outsmarted every other girl in the division.

I agree, that there was no way that Brock was risking anything against a huge UFC payday.

Frankly I liked Part time Lesnar, I believe that the Champion coming out should be an event and over exposure to a champ leads to a burnout of the Champ.

I like that Lesnar was the boogey man and when he came out "Things are about to pickup".

I mean there were some moments of real smart booking last night for the Brock Reigns. Reigns comes out and hits his full offense and Lesnar gets him in the sleeper. Having Lesnar deal with Strowman like he did and then winging the brief case across two state lines was brilliant. But him getting pinned with one spear. Was dumb.

The booking of Braun was dumb because it was so apparent that he was there to keep the crowd from turning. Instead, now he looks like a doofus.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bliss is probably scheduled a good long break. Don't think she's had one since getting drafted. Didn't like all the Rousey talk during the match though. And the black swan eye make up. I suppose since super Lesnar isn't champ anymore they need another super champ somewhere.

It's going to make the women's PPV watered down now I think. They have built Rousey up to super human level.

Hopefully Stroman cashes in tonight and smashed reins. Need some fresh blood at the top.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

WWE is trying to legitimize MMA converts through their storylines, I think there is a slow-burn with this approach and Vince sees it as a money-making script strategy. They are more frequently putting the belts and efforts on stars such as Lesnar, Rousey, and Baszler (although she did lose it), and having more MMA stars joining the ranks (e.g. bringing Lashley back, having Nakamura branded with "brutal kicks" from his MMA days, Matt Riddle joined NXT this weekend, and Cain Velasquez was features training at the performance center).

I think there is a method to this madness (e.g. profit potential), but the execution is off. Also, it only serves to marginalize pure pro wrestlers and sports entertainers. Vince clearly has a hard-on for people who come from legitimate backgrounds.

I don't know, maybe I'm bitter.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #38
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think Bliss is probably scheduled a good long break. Don't think she's had one since getting drafted. Didn't like all the Rousey talk during the match though. And the black swan eye make up. I suppose since super Lesnar isn't champ anymore they need another super champ somewhere.

It's going to make the women's PPV watered down now I think. They have built Rousey up to super human level.

Hopefully Stroman cashes in tonight and smashed reins. Need some fresh blood at the top.
I'm looking forward to an Asuka / Ronda match. If that feud is built up properly, people will forget Asuka's losses and look at this as a legitimate match between two incredibly talented women.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The brief case throw was the best part of the night though.

The fact that Lesnar threw it that far - and it was still hard enough that it damaged a couple of the lights on the entrance was amazing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Honestly I like Bliss, she takes a lot of heat for her wrestling, but she sold like a pro last night and did everything to make Ronda look good. I will state that what sets Bliss above everyone else is she does the little things really well, she's also the best story teller in the business right now, and one of the best pure heat generators in the business.

I don't mind her being off of TV for a while, give the girl a bit of a break, I think that we forget that the other thing with her is work ethic wise she can't be questioned.

There is no chance that Strowman takes the belt off of Reigns until maybe Wrestlemania and to do that they have to almost turn Strowman into a heel. I wouldn't be surprised if they feed Braun to Reigns to legitimize Reigns. Personally I would book Braun to go and pick up that kid who was his tag team partner, then have him drive him out to a swamp and murder him. Hows that for a heel turn. WCW WCW WCW .