Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #3161
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG.. 'the kingdom', a series from the 90's by Lars Von Trier is on Mubi now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_(miniseries)

And they're releasing a new season 'the kingdom - exodus'. It's getting great reviews. I'd never watched the original so am catching up on season 1, and am absolutely hooked.. it's both hilarious and spooky
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #3162
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

A Calgary connection on the latest season of Lego Masters. My good friend Stephen is one of the Calgary Fire Department guys on the show this year. Good fun for the family. Plus Stephen and Stephen are a riot. This week they built Super Hero Initiate Training Camp. Sorry.. SUPERHERO Initiate Training Camp. Superhero is one word..
Old 11-17-2022, 10:53 PM   #3163
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I avoided Warrior Nun at first cause I assumed it was filmed in Spanish and subtitled or dubbed (it's not).

It's quite good so far, and I had no idea what I was missing!

The concept and lore are fascinating: an angel who gave his halo to a Joan of Arc-type a thousand years ago, which has been passed down through the millennia.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:46 PM   #3164
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is From any good? Worth starting?
Old 11-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #3165
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Lotus season 2 is hands down the most purely entertaining series I've ever watched. It feels like watching a guilty pleasure, except with fantastic writing, cinematography and acting.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #3166
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atlanta ended this week with as perfect a series finale as I could have hoped for. This is going to bump something out of my top 10 of all time. One of the most unique shows I've ever watched, with interesting concepts and really great acting.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #3167
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Atlanta ended this week with as perfect a series finale as I could have hoped for. This is going to bump something out of my top 10 of all time. One of the most unique shows I've ever watched, with interesting concepts and really great acting.
I had no idea Atlanta had a new season. Well time to fire up the old download machine after work.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #3168
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Reminds me I gotta finish off season 2, then the boy and I are gonna watch 3 and 4 together.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #3169
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, don't make fun, but I only just wrapped season 4 of Stranger Things.

Holy ####. What a massive step up from previous seasons. The multiple groups across different geographical landscapes was a nice touch, but the production value was also much higher overall.

Some really great scenes in this series, and admittedly, some filler as well. However...

The 7th episode reveal of the origins of the big bad and the upside down was incredible. You could figure it out halfway through, but it wasn't that. It was the editing of the past memories with the current "monologuing" of the baddie that made it work so well. It was so cohesive and impressive. It's almost like the Duffer's were going through 3 and a half seasons just to have that moment. Amazing.

Looking forward to the eventual next season. This will be hard to top, but I imagine they will find a way.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 11:16 PM   #3170
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

After some hesitation because I didn’t think there was anything left to tell, I thought the second season of The Vow was actually really fascinating and it really got into the how Raniere manipulated his victims and has them manipulating on his behalf.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #3171
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
White Lotus season 2 is hands down the most purely entertaining series I've ever watched. It feels like watching a guilty pleasure, except with fantastic writing, cinematography and acting.
The White Lotus is one of my favourite shows.

So many good shows you don't care about the characters but something about this one. They're all so despicable but you just can't not continue watching.

A+ show/writing/characters
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #3172
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Okay, don't make fun, but I only just wrapped season 4 of Stranger Things.

Holy ####. What a massive step up from previous seasons. The multiple groups across different geographical landscapes was a nice touch, but the production value was also much higher overall.

Some really great scenes in this series, and admittedly, some filler as well. However...

The 7th episode reveal of the origins of the big bad and the upside down was incredible. You could figure it out halfway through, but it wasn't that. It was the editing of the past memories with the current "monologuing" of the baddie that made it work so well. It was so cohesive and impressive. It's almost like the Duffer's were going through 3 and a half seasons just to have that moment. Amazing.

Looking forward to the eventual next season. This will be hard to top, but I imagine they will find a way.
I don't blame anyone for being late on Stranger Things, we actually dropped the show in season 3 and read what happened in the last couple episodes it was so bad. Had no intention of watching season 4 until we started hearing the buzz online and yeah, it was really good. I think it's the best season of the show.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #3173
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
The White Lotus is one of my favourite shows.

So many good shows you don't care about the characters but something about this one. They're all so despicable but you just can't not continue watching.

A+ show/writing/characters
I don't think this is one of those shows where everyone is a frustratingly irredeemable a-hole. (I don't even think Succession is like that either even though it seems to be famous for it, maybe I just have a higher TV a-hole tolerance). it's a show where everyone is flawed but they do a great job explaining why they are how they are. there's no cartoony monsters here, they're like people and relationship dysfunctions you may have witnessed yourself at some point in life.

for me the strongest part of White Lotus is that everyone behaves how you would expect them to based on what you know of their characters and the information they have access to. my biggest pet peeve is shows that create drama from characters making weird inconsistent decisions, or people accidentally/intentionally hiding knowledge from others when it's not even in their best interest to do so. that crap is laaaaazy.

White Lotus and Succession are the two best shows at making you intensely uncomfortable while also laughing out loud, sometimes more than an actual comedy show would. and my god is it ever shot beautifully, all I can think about is my next vacation while watching.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #3174
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I personally wouldn't go as far as that, but am really enjoying it. So much so, we bought the ingredients for Aperol Spritzers to give a try. Not as much of a fan of those unfortunately.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #3175
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I don't think this is one of those shows where everyone is a frustratingly irredeemable a-hole. (I don't even think Succession is like that either even though it seems to be famous for it, maybe I just have a higher TV a-hole tolerance). it's a show where everyone is flawed but they do a great job explaining why they are how they are. there's no cartoony monsters here, they're like people and relationship dysfunctions you may have witnessed yourself at some point in life.

for me the strongest part of White Lotus is that everyone behaves how you would expect them to based on what you know of their characters and the information they have access to. my biggest pet peeve is shows that create drama from characters making weird inconsistent decisions, or people accidentally/intentionally hiding knowledge from others when it's not even in their best interest to do so. that crap is laaaaazy.

White Lotus and Succession are the two best shows at making you intensely uncomfortable while also laughing out loud, sometimes more than an actual comedy show would. and my god is it ever shot beautifully, all I can think about is my next vacation while watching.
Just in case anyone is on the fence with White Lotus and already hates Succession as much as I do, I would only use 'White Lotus and Succession' in the same sentence as opposites. Example:
White Lotus is brilliantly written/acted/filmed - an absolute joy to watch and Succession sucks the life out you.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #3176
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched two or three episodes of Succession and hated every character so much that I just turned it off. Nobody seemed interesting in a villainous way or remotely redeemable.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #3177
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I watched two or three episodes of Succession and hated every character so much that I just turned it off. Nobody seemed interesting in a villainous way or remotely redeemable.
And I was drawn in from the first episode.

It had a "The Prisoner" vibe to me.

To each his own.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #3178
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Succession and have really liked White Lotus so far and I'd say they're absolutely nothing alike.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #3179
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I liked Succession and have really liked White Lotus so far and I'd say they're absolutely nothing alike.
They have both incredibly sharp dialogue, the writing and pacing is really tight and the acting performances for the most part are superb. Succession’s acting can get a little over the top but it is an over the top premise in the first place.

Very different shows but the quality is similar IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:35 AM   #3180
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, count me as another that dropped Succession due to stupid, annoying, unredeemable characters and over the top stupid storylines and turns that were used to prop up episodes and interest. Couldn't keep going with that.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-29-2022 at 12:38 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: