Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #1261
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Do we have any Shaw reps on here? I’m getting all cold shoulders on chat, just to get the same deal they offer new customers.

Or Telus reps that can put together a great package?
I'll check with the one that helped me with my latest package. $104 for Telus internet, medium TV and free crave/hbo for the full two years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:37 PM   #1262
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Never mind, figured it out

Last edited by ajr4013; 01-06-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Figured out the issue
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:14 AM   #1263
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have to actually cancel to get a decent retention deal... at least that's what worked with me.

I called in to cancel (put it in for 30 days later)... waited a few days and then a senior retention person called in and offered something ok.

I got $59/month for two years and a $200 bill credit. EDIT: for internet 300

Last edited by sketchyt; 01-05-2023 at 07:40 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #1264
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad I ventured in here out of curiosity.

If we're only an internet household is there any reason to not switch to Lightspeed over Shaw? What does Shaw offer as an internet only provider that Lightspeed doesn't?

I'm embarrassed to say this in here but we're paying the base rate of $95/month for Internet 75 with Shaw. Looks like I can get Internet 75 with Lightspeed for $40/month with a $2.50/month modem rental. Seems like a no brainer switch.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #1265
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

If we're only an internet household is there any reason to not switch to Lightspeed over Shaw? What does Shaw offer as an internet only provider that Lightspeed doesn't?

I'm embarrassed to say this in here but we're paying the base rate of $95/month for Internet 75 with Shaw. Looks like I can get Internet 75 with Lightspeed for $40/month with a $2.50/month modem rental. Seems like a no brainer switch.
I would insist on not paying the modem rental fee.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:00 PM   #1266
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

$95 for Internet 75?
I just moved and they upgraded me to the Fibre+ Gig Internet for $95.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:05 PM   #1267
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
$95 for Internet 75?
I just moved and they upgraded me to the Fibre+ Gig Internet for $95.
When I went into a Shaw store to setup a new mobile number they saw my 2-year Internet 300 deal was expiring soon and offered me another 2-year deal for Internet 700 (100 up) for $65/mo
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #1268
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well yeah I'm not claiming paying the full advertised price with out a contract is a good deal. I don't like the call every year and haggle game, that's why I'm curious about one of the smaller providers. Any reason to not switch from a Shaw/Telus to a Teksaavy/Lightspeed?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:40 AM   #1269
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just re-upped with Telus, they upgraded our internet to the top one (no clue what this is called) and 7 theme pack TV with crave/HBO and Netflix for 119 a month for 2 years. Feel like we did pretty well and didnt have to bargain at all
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #1270
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lucked out with my Shaw price. I was due for a renewal and I called in to ask a question that their website didn't fully clarify in my mind. I felt I was already on a sweet deal and they bumped me from 600Mb to 1.5Gb for only $5 more per month (bundled with Total TV and home phone). I started the car.

Now when Telus calls me telling me that they have faster Internet (they do not) and better TV (that's subjective) for a much better price I can comfortably tell them that they can't match Shaw's price... My neighborood doesn't have Telus Fibre either so the best I can get is 75Mb and they try to tell me that its still quicker because all Shaw customers share internet and no Shaw customer gets anything as fast as Telus can offer.... that is a lie. It is also a lie that I should switch to Telus and get the 75Mb internet because they'll be upgrading my area in the next two months... I've been hearing that since before the pandemic started.

Last edited by Buff; 01-06-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:34 PM   #1271
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I just dumped Shaw for Oxio (Shaw reseller). $20/mo cheaper to get over twice the speed I had with Shaw. Plus no modem fee, and they throw you a free Eero 6.

If anyone is interested, sign up with this code, you get a month free and I get a month free (and you’ll get your own code to pass on the same):

RBMSUXQ

https://oxio.ca/
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 10:04 AM   #1272
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know how to cast from the Telus Optik Tv app on iPhone to a chromecast? Very easy on the Shaw app. Doesn’t seem possible on the Telus app.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:01 PM   #1273
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you're looking for a phone with cheap data Shaw has a pretty awesome promo going right now. I had intended to get a cheap by-the-gig plan for my nephew visiting from Vietnam, but the rep showed me a deal that's not listed on the website for unlimited calls/texts & 6GB data for $25/mo. Shaw store in Market Mall for anyone interested
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #1274
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Shaw Mobile number (was previously a Freedom number) which is basically a placeholder for a phone number I used to use for work. I'm currently paying $25/month for 25 gigs, plus 2 gigs of roaming. The contract is currently expired for my Shaw account, and has been for almost a year?

If Shaw is going to eventually get flipped over to Rogers, I'll just abandon my main Telus account where I'm paying waaaay more. Especially if I can get away with continuing to pay $25 a month

Not sure if I should lock-in a new Shaw contract, and then flip it to Rogers, or what. Anybody else with Shaw get this email today?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #1275
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't get one today, I signed on with Shaw when it was free, so I hope I can lock in for 5 years at that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #1276
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got that email from Rogers today as well.

5 year price guarantee will work for me.
I have 5 lines currently.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:56 AM   #1277
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn't get one today, I signed on with Shaw when it was free, so I hope I can lock in for 5 years at that.
I'm in the same boat. My kid has a free Shaw number, and I pay $10 for a gig for 90 days. He's only 11, so it is nice to have an emergency phone for when he's riding his bike to school, and he doesn't use it for much else.

I wonder if the price of the data top-ups will also be locked in? I suppose I should look into this before the offer is revoked...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #1278
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm in the same boat. My kid has a free Shaw number, and I pay $10 for a gig for 90 days. He's only 11, so it is nice to have an emergency phone for when he's riding his bike to school, and he doesn't use it for much else.

I wonder if the price of the data top-ups will also be locked in? I suppose I should look into this before the offer is revoked...
Do you have to call to get this? How does it work?
Old 06-15-2023, 12:59 PM   #1279
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Do you have to call to get this? How does it work?
It was an offer when Shaw first got into mobile if you had other services with them, they'd send you a sim card for $20 and you got free text and calling. It ended in the fall of 2021, I think. Now it's $10 for the same plan, which I got my wife on. With Shaw wifi, I rarely use mobile data so the 1GB addon for $10 for 90 days works great.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #1280
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Rogers just called to switch over from Shaw. I am on the Shaw $0 phone plan, they had to do a hard credit check, which for some reason I was denied twice... They are offering 1 gig onto the phone plan and crediting the $50 activation fee... I couldn't understand the phone operator very well... I started to think it wasn't legit when they were asking for my personal information, but I got a legit email... so it is... So they are off to a really bad start in my books. They said it might be a fault on their end for the credit denial and they are calling me back tomorrow... They shouldn't even have to do a hard credit check when my history with Shaw is pristine...
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote