Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #101
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

next season they need to have zary, pelletier and coronato filling out top 9 spots ( since they won't use Phillips because theyre allergic to ultra skilled shrimps) and let lewis and lucic walk

I would move out dube for futures as well .. I'd give mangiapane a little more runway to rebound and build up his trade value
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #102
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Turns out a road trip isn't all this team needed.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #103
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Turns out a road trip isn't all this team needed.
the players actually look less chummy with one another than before the trip
Old 11-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #104
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think fans need to demand it. No idea why people ran out and bought Huberdeau and Kadri jerseys before they played a single game.
To be fair, it was an exciting off-season and fans are gonna buy the jerseys of players their excited to see in action. But I doubt jersey sales are what influences a team’s refusal to rebuild
Old 11-26-2022, 06:24 PM   #105
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri at 7 x7 still would've been a fantastic pickup if this team had managed to retain its two elite top line forwards

alas they did not .. and now I fear it's a wasted acquisition with how watered down the skill looks and how underwhelmingly the new pieces have meshed with the group

kadri not nixing the trade in 2019 could have pushed this team over the top to see a couple of rounds, some PO sucess and maybe gaudreau and Tkachuk have a different tune around being here long term

the timing of everything just sucks
Old 11-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #106
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So. After watching the last couple post game press conferences. Why does Darryl seem happier (maybe not the right word but less short or grumpy) now than at the start of the season?

Honest question. And I know I’ll probably get flamed for this but it’s almost like he’d rather lose ´his way’ than win not playing his system.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #107
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
So. After watching the last couple post game press conferences. Why does Darryl seem happier (maybe not the right word but less short or grumpy) now than at the start of the season?

Honest question. And I know I’ll probably get flamed for this but it’s almost like he’d rather lose ´his way’ than win not playing his system.
My guess is even Darryl will try to lighten the mood when his team is in a rut.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #108
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, I hate matinee games. It seems like they are almost always guaranteed losses. I would love to know the Flames record in matinee games over the past few years. In fact, I would wager that western teams forced to play matinee games in the east probably do not do well. When you factor in the time change and playing outside of a routine, I would bet the results heavily favour the eastern based teams.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #109
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post

Well ya. Losing ‘his way’ now means winning ‘his way’ later in the season. Win now not ‘his way’ means losing later in the season.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #110
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Well ya. Losing ‘his way’ now means winning ‘his way’ later in the season. Win now not ‘his way’ means losing later in the season.
Im not convinced of that anymore. The GM has aquired players that dont mesh with his system. I dont see any kind of success with Sutter with this iteration of players. We have our 10.5 million dollar forward buried on the 3rd line with the likes of Lucic, Ruzicka and Lewis getting reps ahead of him. Its not a game or two either, its been over half the season now.

Sutter knows how to win and I believe in him knowing the "right" way to play. However he only knows how to win one way and the ingredients his GM has given him dont match the recipe.

Theres a case to be made thats more on the players than the coach and I would agree with that. But we are handcuffed long term to those players now like it or not. And I fail to see how we fix our problems with Sutter at the helm regardless of wether he's in the right on his displeasure with our new high paid players.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #111
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Sutter knows how to win and I believe in him knowing the "right" way to play. However he only knows how to win one way and the ingredients his GM has given him dont match the recipe.
What one way is that? Getting into the playoffs as a 6th-8th place team and going on a run to the Stanley Cup?

Or last year?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #112
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Calgary Flames hockey in 2022 is plain old boring. I can't wait for the inevitable late season win-streak that kills all hope of getting a top 3 pick.

On the bright side, resale tickets to games will keep getting cheaper.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #113
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think he means puck control hockey based on strong forechecking. Offense built on dump and chase to the corners and shooting a lot of pucks at the net, getting a positive shot and corsi/metrics differential and then winning 3-2 games.

Problem is this roster likely is not that strong at puck control and we don’t have the starter in net to win 3-2 games.
Kasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #114
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate our team sometimes.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #115
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team is missing that X factor, and confidence, and it’s mainly for playing ahead
First handful of games, they had it. They’ve lost it, in various ways, and they don’t have leads to be comfortable with and waiting for mistakes as opposed to waiting for chances.

They’ve played well enough on the trip and in the losses before the trip but are missing the game breaker who is going to take charge, or line that is going to take control.

Last year so many times it was the timely goal, full of chemistry, from the first line, that put the team at ease that they could score if needed, and,had the opponent chasing…this year we don’t have that breakthrough this year yet and the team is playing scared to lose.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #116
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I think he means puck control hockey based on strong forechecking. Offense built on dump and chase to the corners and shooting a lot of pucks at the net, getting a positive shot and corsi/metrics differential and then winning 3-2 games.

Problem is this roster likely is not that strong at puck control and we don’t have the starter in net to win 3-2 games.

Sutter hockey used to be, defense first, dump and chase, thank you Kiprusoff.

Now, Sutter hockey is defense first, dump and chase, thank you Vladar.

The man just loves his Canadian grinders...
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:27 PM   #117
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I hate our team sometimes.
Oh, you mean like EVERY. OTHER. YEAR?

This pattern is rarely interrupted.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #118
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
Calgary Flames hockey in 2022 is plain old boring. I can't wait for the inevitable late season win-streak that kills all hope of getting a top 3 pick.

On the bright side, resale tickets to games will keep getting cheaper.
There was, is and never will be any chance at getting a top three pick this year.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #119
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter says she young players need to step up. Only real young players I can think of Dube and Mangiapane who have been awful.

Team needs a serious injection of speed and talent from the farm and Sutter to stop joking around.

This isn't a systems issue it's how the likes are constructed and deployed.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #120
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don’t understand the unwillingness to keeping a roster spot open for one young player a season. Minimum costs, learn how to be a pro, practice with the team, maybe the occasional game, and returned to ahl without waivers.

The energy that young people have is infectious and probably a breath of fresh air over an 82 game season. And then they know players upon a real call up.

How do you create the hunger for nhl if they never get the chance to experience it?