Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #1001
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary pick is in the top 10 in 2025 and Florida's isn't Calgary keeps their pick
Old 11-25-2022, 10:49 PM   #1002
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A first seems to be the going rate for a worthless contract where the player is likely to be bought out (Marleau). Monahan always had some upside so I wish something like a third rounder if he meets some criteria had been negotiated. But I guess the Habs held all the cards and Flames were going to sign Kadri at all costs.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 12:36 AM   #1003
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole league could have had Monahan for free, with a 2nd for free, ect. and the Flames would have been falling all over themselves to do the deal. Cost was the market rate...who had over 6M lying around? Basically just the Habs after Price pulled the chute
Old 11-26-2022, 12:36 AM   #1004
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A first seems to be the going rate for a worthless contract where the player is likely to be bought out (Marleau). Monahan always had some upside so I wish something like a third rounder if he meets some criteria had been negotiated. But I guess the Habs held all the cards and Flames were going to sign Kadri at all costs.
Yep, it came down to a time crunch where the Flames might lose the player they were trading a contract away to get. The rumours suggest they had a Lucic deal with Boston going and it didn't work and Kadri was coming down to the final days of selecting one of a couple options.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:38 AM   #1005
jayswin

Exp:

The last thing Brad wanted to have happen was to say "yes!, it took extra time, but I only paid a second to get rid of Monahan instead of a first.. okay agent, we'll sign Kadri". ...."Yeah, he chose the Islanders earlier today".
Old 11-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #1006
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Point is, Montreal the big winner here. They didn’t do the Flames any favors so I am a little surprised there wasn’t at least some competition for the Flames first rounder during the month between the Tkachuk and Monahan deals. Although IIRC Monahan had some no trade protection. That and the few teams with cap space put the Flames in a corner.

Will be interesting to see what Montreal is able to get for him at the deadline if he’s healthy and they are so inclined. That’s definitely the way to turbo charge your rebuild.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #1007
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Point is, Montreal the big winner here. They didn’t do the Flames any favors so I am a little surprised there wasn’t at least some competition for the Flames first rounder during the month between the Tkachuk and Monahan deals. Although IIRC Monahan had some no trade protection. That and the few teams with cap space put the Flames in a corner.

Will be interesting to see what Montreal is able to get for him at the deadline if he’s healthy and they are so inclined. That’s definitely the way to turbo charge your rebuild.
Correct.

Calgary needed to find a team with cap space who was willing to take on Monny for a first and who was not on Monny’s no trade list.

That was Montreal. Monny could not be universally shopped around the league.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #1008
jayswin

Exp:

Not to mention, it appears that Lucic was the trade piece to open up cap space for a Kadri signing, and a pivot to Monahan happened when that fell through. Left very little time and options (due to his no trade clause) to get something done with Monahan.

Who knows, it may have still taken a first even if Brad was working on it all summer, but circumstances basically necessitated a first round price.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #1009
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not to mention, it appears that Lucic was the trade piece to open up cap space for a Kadri signing, and a pivot to Monahan happened when that fell through. Left very little time and options (due to his no trade clause) to get something done with Monahan.

Who knows, it may have still taken a first even if Brad was working on it all summer, but circumstances basically necessitated a first round price.
Was lucic really the trade piece? I have a hard time believing any club was looking for a $5 million 4th liner that can’t score. The only rumours I remember was lucic went to a wedding with a bunch of bruins and for some reason some media took that to mean they might get the old gang back together again. Mony costing a 1st to get rid of the full cap hit was not a surprising cost. I would have thought lucic being traded at full cap hit would have cost a 1st also
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #1010
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply put, I love Monahan.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #1011
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Was lucic really the trade piece? I have a hard time believing any club was looking for a $5 million 4th liner that can’t score.
Which is why Monahan ended up getting moved. It’s not about rumours, it’s about who the obvious piece is to move for cap space. Lucic is #1, which also means he’s the hardest to trade.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #1012
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was lucic really the trade piece? I have a hard time believing any club was looking for a $5 million 4th liner that can’t score. The only rumours I remember was lucic went to a wedding with a bunch of bruins and for some reason some media took that to mean they might get the old gang back together again. Mony costing a 1st to get rid of the full cap hit was not a surprising cost. I would have thought lucic being traded at full cap hit would have cost a 1st also
A few connected folks on the board, including Bingo, had heard it was close.
I imagine it would have been a similar deal with a 1st packaged to a team like Arizona or Anaheim to take on Lucic.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #1013
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Simply put, I love Monahan.
100%, I feel sorry for him at his age and all of those injuries and surgeries...just ain't right and he will pay as he gets older. I hope he lights it up and stays healthy for the rest of his career.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yikes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 01:39 PM   #1014
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I imagine it would have been a similar deal with a 1st packaged to a team like Arizona or Anaheim to take on Lucic.
I don't remember his exact words, but in the press conference for the Monahan trade, Treliving basically confirmed the rumours that they were working on a Lucic deal but it fell through, so they pushed to get the Monahan deal done.

Based on what he said, combined with the rumours coming out of Boston the weekend prior, and the fact that the only way the Flames could have freed up the necessary cap space was to move either Lucic or Monahan, you could put 2 and 2 and 2 together to figure out that the Lucic rumours had some truth behind them.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #1015
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy for Monny.

Sad for me because he's not a Flame. I think could have worked well with Hubey and Lindy.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #1016
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given what Lucic brings to the Flames lineup it is a shame the Flames were not able to move Lucic. Would have been great if Lucic retired and became the Flames Director of Player Personnel or whatever title Keith has.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #1017
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As we are still looking for a center for Huberdeau, it stings not knowing what Monahan could have brought. Let's just get Sam Bennett back lol
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #1018
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lucic would have been due $1M in cash though, so to a cap flush team, he was a $1M 4th liner.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #1019
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is Monahan always had more upside than Lucic so giving up a first to lose Monahan is definitely a higher price than a first for Lucic. Of course there are cash savings with Monahan and it ain’t my money so there is that.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #1020
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan is just a good fella.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: