Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #261
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Is Kerr involved in this in an ongoing basis?

There is just something I have always liked about Kerr, he seems honest and surprised he is being paid to give his thoughts. There always seems to be an undercurrent of self-deprecation
I don't think so. I think it just a pop in guest dealy.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #262
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

God bless Cory Sarich for not so subtlety boding TJ Brodie today.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:49 AM   #263
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three posts in a row, embarrassing.

At any rate Boomer and Pinder have a new (weekday?) post game show/podcast called After Burner
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #264
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:38 PM   #265
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Three posts in a row, embarrassing.

At any rate Boomer and Pinder have a new (weekday?) post game show/podcast called After Burner

If it's a school night, they do a post-game show. (e.g., Sunday through Thursday games)

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #266
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorp got a shoutout on Thursday Jan 12 episode about him going to the AHL all star game to report.

Then proceeded to chirp him about being too young for the strip clubs there
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:52 PM   #267
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've listened to every show thus far, and as optimistic as I was when they got going, I'm finding it less and less enjoyable. They have picked up a ton of sponsors and not 5 minutes goes by where they are not plugging one of them or doing one of the sponsored bits. The Montana's something or other, the Liquor store this and that, Bon Ton who ha bit, Honda Pinder report, the big way bets, Serge at Tower Chrysler, the stupid pond hockey thing, it is never ending. These are the exact reasons radio is failing; Boomer and Pinder should know this, and yet this Podcast is succumbing to the same spiral.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:35 PM   #268
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
So I've listened to every show thus far, and as optimistic as I was when they got going, I'm finding it less and less enjoyable. They have picked up a ton of sponsors and not 5 minutes goes by where they are not plugging one of them or doing one of the sponsored bits. The Montana's something or other, the Liquor store this and that, Bon Ton who ha bit, Honda Pinder report, the big way bets, Serge at Tower Chrysler, the stupid pond hockey thing, it is never ending. These are the exact reasons radio is failing; Boomer and Pinder should know this, and yet this Podcast is succumbing to the same spiral.

I think it's a double edged sword in a lot of ways. The truth is not matter what in life, NOTHING is actually free in any real way. Air is free and not a long list of other things. Somebody is paying for it in some capacity along the way.

We are seeing that now with some of the streaming services like Netflix. Everybody likes to think they are paying for these catalog of shows and $100 million productions with $10 a month costs. Now that a lot of investor money is drying up, they are introducing the ad based models.

Sooner or later, outside of the most premium + package, all the services will be supported by ads and someone will package them together, but it won't be considered "cable"

These guy's need to pay their mortgages, feed their families and I assume pay for their actual guests to come on a lot of the times. If it isn't Sportsnet, TSN, ESPN, Fox Sports etc paying serious salaries (sometimes millions) to these reporters, insiders etc to make radio hit's, than you really want to wanna come onto the show and talk sports to the Calgary audience.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #269
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only regular guest is Frank Seravali and he is employed by the “Nation” group, but yes they kick him a hundy for his 15 mins once a week. And I get that with life comes bills, no s***, but successful podacasts break from the radio “mould”. They have to find their way and it will take time, but falling into the same programming style that has killed radio, is likely the wrong path to take.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #270
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In writing, this might come across as passive-aggressive; it's not my intention. What changes would you like to see them make?
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #271
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't listen but do they do ad reads every 15 minutes or so like most podcasts? That's way less annoying than radio sponsor stuff every few minutes. And some ad reads are enjoyable if done right (Conan's can be funny).
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 12:46 PM   #272
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

These guys need to make a living. If “Honda stats” or whatever is sponsored, I don’t see any difference from “bob ton” stats or “honda” or just stats.

They aren’t alone. Flames broadcasts have sponsored PPs and broadcast booths and whatever else keeps the costs of production down.

If the choice is nothing or something that keeps people on air, sign me up for the latter.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 12:57 PM   #273
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ads don't bother me, they got bills to pay.

Usually watch delayed on You-tube, easy to fast forward. Love the show.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:04 PM   #274
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you basically want them to do the show for free. A sponsor plug every 10 minutes is better than 3-4 minutes of commercials every 15 minutes on the radio.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:19 PM   #275
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy this show exists. Steinberg’s Flames talk is my number 1 show to listen to and then this (and after burner) are a close second. I feel like there is enough good Flames content out there right now to get a good listen during the day. I just wish it would hit Spotify sooner sometimes it is an hour or more after the show ends.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #276
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
God bless Cory Sarich for not so subtlety boding TJ Brodie today.
What was said here?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #277
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
What was said here?
IIRC Boomer and Pinder compared Weeger to TJ and Sarich was "like don't do that to Weeger" or something to that effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 08:43 PM   #278
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love this show. I find It's way more relatable with them being able to do their thing. Thats just me though. I actually don't like it when they take days off. Hahaha
Old 01-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #279
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could do with slightly more sports talk some days. But I can't blame them it's the morning show personalities, and all that entails, moved to a podcast.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:48 PM   #280
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like everyone, I have my preferences so love the Flames talk obviously, love the NHL talk, love the non sports talk when they talk about random life stuff, hate NFL talk, hate soccer talk and will love it if they talk Jay's when things start.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: