Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2022, 11:09 PM   #2061
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

early reports of a mass shooting in a Walmart in Virginia 3 hours ago.

details aren't being released, but hopefully, its not a significant number of fatalities.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...rt-police-say/

I know Thanksgiving is an important holiday for Americans, so its sad to be bumping this only a few days after the last shooting.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #2062
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

details aren't being released, but hopefully, its not a significant number of fatalities.

I know Thanksgiving is an important holiday for Americans, so its sad to be bumping this only a few days after the last shooting.
Unfortunately there were fatalities
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-say-rcna58488
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:38 PM   #2063
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goddamn, my heart breaks every time this thread gets bumped. What a f***ed up country.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #2064
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Honestly, one of the scariest and chilling parts of these mass shootings is that on social media (even on CP to a degree) these are no longer unthinkable tragedies, they are simply jumping boards for discussion. Myself included.

I think a really important exercise and one that I will employ going forward is to not simply see a mass shooting, get the quick details and either move on or discuss it, but instead to actually go to websites with stories and news and pictures and really emerrse in the tragedy itself. Connect with the reality that real people have lost their lives.

We need to work hard to stay connected, shocked, outraged at these events and continue to understand the scope of how catastrophic each one is. Lacking that is the definition of of becoming desensitized.
Another one in Virginia this morning, means quite a bit of work for you to do to stay connected. Seems like an endless and exhausting task, and not a fun one either.

It's a nice thought to not become desensitized to it all, but I find it to be a necessary survival mechanism. I cannot constantly process this much tragedy and keep my sanity. It doesn't mean I'm not fully in support of legislation and cultural change, but learning each victim's name and story doesn't do anything else for me at this point. I was permanently changed after Sandy Hook, and none of the other tragedies have made me feel any differently. I'm just numb to it because it seems hopeless...like nobody cares to do anything different.

It's like we know there's a well of contaminated water in our community, but we just keep going back to the well knowing it will make us sick instead of coming up with a way to treat the water or even find another water source. We are in love with the sickness. I can't think of any other explanation.

It's just too ####ing depressing to constantly think about because there doesn't seem to be a solution...I hope to be proven wrong.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #2065
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post
Unfortunately there were fatalities
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-say-rcna58488
There are now 7 people that have been shot to death. So depressing.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-fatalities-walmart-shooting-virginia-police/story?id=93832868

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 11-23-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:55 AM   #2066
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

From that article

Quote:
"I've been studying mass killings for over 40 years and I am quite confident that there has never been a year where we've had so many," said Fox in an article published Monday by Northeastern, in the wake of the Colorado shooting.

Fox noted "an unprecedented surge" since the beginning of October alone, during which time he said there had been 13 fatal mass shootings.

"That's an average of about two mass shootings per week," Fox said.
Awful.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #2067
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Goddamn, my heart breaks every time this thread gets bumped. What a f***ed up country.
It's literally every day, really hard to not become desensitized to this, if they refuse to take any actions that would make a difference, it's hard to have empathy at this point.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #2068
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
From that article

Awful.
Definitions are hard to nail down but this site documents 606 this year as of yesterday.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r...ooting?page=24
Old 11-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #2069
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think you meant to post this in the "Things that make me Happy" thread.

There is so much positivity to come out of that story, #### yeah Sir.
Really?

A combat veteran who has openly struggled with some serious demons, living in a constant state of fear and mistrust since coming home, works hard for years to overcome that, and now has very valid reasons to live the rest of his life in said state of fear and distrust?

A man who has to console his daughter for the tragic loss of her boyfriend, and knows that she will now face some of the lifelong struggles that he has?

How the hell is this positive? It's tragic.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #2070
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Really?

A combat veteran who has openly struggled with some serious demons, living in a constant state of fear and mistrust since coming home, works hard for years to overcome that, and now has very valid reasons to live the rest of his life in said state of fear and distrust?

A man who has to console his daughter for the tragic loss of her boyfriend, and knows that she will now face some of the lifelong struggles that he has?

How the hell is this positive? It's tragic.
I'm sorry that my post didn't hit the mark.

Positives are the he has transitioned back into society, running his own company and his apparent active supportive of LGBTQ community.

Positive because of his support of the community he was there to take action to reduce the death & injuries.

I was just trying to pull a silver lining out.

Apologies

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #2071
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I was just trying to pull a silver lining out.

Apologies
No apologies needed, and thanks for the further colour. The guy probably saved a lot of lives, and I hope he doesn't pay too high of a personal price for it moving forward, and can once again get his life in a good spot.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #2072
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That interview was obviously very tough to watch and quite gut wrenching but the other thing I thought was how hard would it be to conduct that interview. Props to the interviewer as you could tell he was feeling it but almost wasn’t even sure what to say.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:07 PM   #2073
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Watching the local news from Spokane last week - four people were murdered in a stabbing at a college in Idaho. I don’t think it registered at all on the national news.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:21 PM   #2074
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Watching the local news from Spokane last week - four people were murdered in a stabbing at a college in Idaho. I don’t think it registered at all on the national news.
That's looking like a really weird crime
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 11:24 PM   #2075
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
That's looking like a really weird crime
Yeah, I have been following it a little bit. News about it seems to be coming up a lot in my news feeds for some reason. I am getting the sense that the police are either bumbling the case or there is a full fledged cover up going on. The feds should take it over, if it is within their power.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-24-2022 at 12:50 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:30 AM   #2076
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That was massive, national news, troutman. It was the talk of the country when it happened.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/23/us/mo...ion/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/u...ho-deaths.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...led-explained/

Last edited by jayswin; 11-24-2022 at 01:32 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 04:04 AM   #2077
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You're both right. It was huge news until about 2 hours later until their was another mass killing, and Kanye West did something and the World Cup started.

Right now CNN main page is all about the Walmart Shooting, but if you sleep in, good chance you'll never know it happened because some other shooting will take its place.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #2078
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
You're both right. It was huge news until about 2 hours later until their was another mass killing, and Kanye West did something and the World Cup started.

Right now CNN main page is all about the Walmart Shooting, but if you sleep in, good chance you'll never know it happened because some other shooting will take its place.
Oh I know the news cycles are insane on tragedies now, I was just simply correcting troutmans point, as he seemed to be suggsting he only heard about it because he was watching the local news in Spokane and that it wasn't or was barely mentioned nationally.

This wasn't true, it was massive news (as far as massive news actually stays in the news for any major story these days) both when it happened and in the days following as they found more details. It was all over traditional and social media.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:31 PM   #2079
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the official numbers are in - 648 mass shootings (4 or more people shot in one incident) in the US in 2022. 2nd most in a year since they started tracking data (2021 is number 1 with the 693).

The panel in the clip below also talked about an older incident in 2021 where a man in Atlanta emerged from a grocery store bathroom with 6 guns and body armor causing panic when people saw him. Police arrested him without incident but the charges were all dismissed this past February, but 10 new lesser charges have been laid and he is still in custody today. According to a defense lawyer now involved in the case, "I mean, all the guy did was be in the store with guns,” he said. “I go into Kroger with a gun, and I don’t expect to be arrested for reckless conduct when I do that. Based on the information from the case, he didn’t do anything that would even remotely constitute reckless conduct. And shame on the state for even prosecuting him for that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/u...-gun-laws.html

Last edited by activeStick; 01-02-2023 at 11:50 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:54 PM   #2080
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess you don't call this a "mass" shooting but I guess this is normal in the US now?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/us/ne...ing/index.html

A 6-year-old boy is in police custody after he shot a teacher at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia, Friday afternoon, Police Chief Steve Drew said in a news conference.

Drew said the female teacher – who is in her 30s – was shot inside a classroom and added that “this was not an accidental shooting.”

The police chief said there was an altercation between the teacher and the student, who had the firearm, and that a single round was fired.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote