Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #4541
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Oh yeah. You can just pump that right into my veins.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #4542
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

i find the masses of people and new generations that flocked to the john wick series fascinating .. still trying to figure out exactly what has earned it such devout fandom among the masses .. the action is excellent and I enjoy it (watched the first one knowing nothing about it in theater just by chance out of curiosity) but the movies really do blend together and recycle a lot of elements .. and keanu still delivers the blandest 5 or 6 lines over the course of the full run time .. I think it's a hunger for something like the matrix with a budget and a universal love for KR .. and although the films are nothing special narratively they check enough of the boxes to sustain an appetite in people to keep flocking to see them

any other lead actor the series lasts no more than 2 films
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #4543
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh yeah. You can just pump that right into my veins.
I don’t even need to watch the trailer. I’m in.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #4544
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
i find the masses of people and new generations that flocked to the john wick series fascinating .. still trying to figure out exactly what has earned it such devout fandom among the masses .. the action is excellent and I enjoy it (watched the first one knowing nothing about it in theater just by chance out of curiosity) but the movies really do blend together and recycle a lot of elements .. and keanu still delivers the blandest 5 or 6 lines over the course of the full run time .. I think it's a hunger for something like the matrix with a budget and a universal love for KR .. and although the films are nothing special narratively they check enough of the boxes to sustain an appetite in people to keep flocking to see them

They’re awesome, that’s why. Don’t over-analyze fun.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #4545
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I've always hated Bert Kriesher, such a tryhard with his fake laughing and boring stories, can't stand him.
Bert Kreisher is this generation's Dane Cook.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #4546
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I've said it before, but John Wick, the original film is just about as close as you can get to a Perfect action movie.

It delivers on every beat.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #4547
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Donnie Yen makes this beyond epic. Love the Wick Franchise as it is already adding mega action martial arts stars like Yen and Sanada? Freaking sprinkle that magic fairy dust all over this. It's so awesome.

I'll pay the theater tickets for this one. All. Over. It.

Shut up and take my money!
Old 11-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #4548
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've said it before, but John Wick, the original film is just about as close as you can get to a Perfect action movie.

It delivers on every beat.
Agreed

The 2nd and 3rd follow the traditional action movie formula , but the 1st one is a masterpiece

And yes Keanu as the main character is one of the greatest casting choices of the last decade
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #4549
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

Partially Reeves. But overall there's been many attempts to (modernize?) The action movie. But I think they've also Keyed on the fact you have a dead set western foundation in the whole series.

They've really pinned all the things that makes all the great actions movies great and didn't muck it up with too much CGI or completely way out there gun fu tactics.

I know its not realistic but the action comes off realistic AF . Save maybe the bullet proof 3 piece suit.

Love the series. Might be the best action series of all time if it doesn't jump the shark.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:56 PM   #4550
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Realistic is not a word I would use to describe anything about John Wick movies. The way they handle weapons is meant to appear more authentic than other action movies. The training Keanu puts in is a testament to that. But very little about the action scenes or gunfights is realistic.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #4551
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Realistic is not a word I would use to describe anything about John Wick movies. The way they handle weapons is meant to appear more authentic than other action movies. The training Keanu puts in is a testament to that. But very little about the action scenes or gunfights is realistic.
And how many gunfight and action scenes have you been in that you know if John Wick is realistic or not?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #4552
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
And how many gunfight and action scenes have you been in that you know if John Wick is realistic or not?
For one thing he doesn't have unlimited bullets.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #4553
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So like Zootopia except with the 4 elements. Elementopia. But no Shakira.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:01 PM   #4554
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So like Zootopia except with the 4 elements. Elementopia. But no Shakira.

Her husband just rage quit retired so she's probably busy with that.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 AM   #4555
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I've only ever watched the first one.
I'll have to google the next two. I'm curious what they use to base the plot on.
Dead wife, and the dog was smart. Wonder if the have decent reasons for the next two, or did they "say screw it, nobody cares.!"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #4556
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Really? I like the films but the big actions scenes consisting of large groups of armed men running at Wick one by one as he fights them are incredibly unrealistic. By this theory in world wars instead of sending boats of men to the shore they would just send a guy like Wick all by himself and all the enemies would come out of cover and charge him one by one instead of doing that they do in real life which is to hide behind cover and shoot. You suspend the belief because it's fun seeing him kick ass but I have to admit I thought the 3rd movie started stretching the formula a little thin.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-18-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #4557
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll go watch a war documentary if I want realism. The illusion of realism tacked onto an action movie with a strong protagonist on a mission... that's what I'm paying to see. Love all of these John Wick movies much like I love Bourne and James Bond movies. Oh and don't forget the 'powerful' villain who makes questionable decisions. Gotta have that too.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #4558
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I've only ever watched the first one.
I'll have to google the next two. I'm curious what they use to base the plot on.
Dead wife, and the dog was smart. Wonder if the have decent reasons for the next two, or did they "say screw it, nobody cares.!"
In the second one, a guy (the villain of the second one) who helped him retire comes to him and says "well, I hear you're unretired now, and you owe me a blood oath that if you ever unretired, I could cash in. So I'm here to cash in" -- which leads to the events of that movie. The second one ends on a cliffhanger so just continues on. They deal a lot more with the inner workings and politics of the weird assassin organization he's in. Pretty fun movies still!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #4559
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I watched the first John Wick movie for the first time on the plane this weekend, it was good.

It was a good length, I thought the premise was good. Very entertaining.

As for the gun fights.. as someone who has logged hundreds of hours shooting hand guns, I will say this, a lot of his shots are close range, so that makes it semi realistic. If he was bending bullets across a train station I'd roll my eyes a bit more.

I enjoyed watching him actually fix his gun in a scene, brings it into his work space, inspects the problem, fixes it and moves on. It's like when Hemsworth racks his gun on his molly carrier in Extraction to fix a stoppage mid fight, best part of the movie for me lol.

His transition from AR to hand gun was also very smooth and properly done. The way he moves with the gun assessing threats was great. So there is definitely a lot of attention to detail.

A lot better than all these shows on TV where the people run around like charlies angels with their arms fully extended just lasering the ever loving #### out of each other.

You should probably go into these Jon Wick movies with the same expectations as The Matrix though, its an action movie first and foremost. I really enjoyed it and will be following up with the sequels.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #4560
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really? I like the films but the big actions scenes consisting of large groups of armed men running at Wick one by one as he fights them are incredibly unrealistic. By this theory in world wars instead of sending boats of men to the shore they would just send a guy like Wick all by himself and all the enemies would come out of cover and charge him one by one instead of doing that they do in real life which is to hide behind cover and shoot. You suspend the belief because it's fun seeing him kick ass but I have to admit I thought the 3rd movie started stretching the formula a little thin.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: