Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was as big a S4 booster as anyone but the finale had trouble sticking the landing. The overall story was interesting but a bunch of side plots didn’t go anywhere and there was too much cheesy dialog and poorly executed fight scenes. I think the uncertainty over S5 also caused issues as the writers had to wrap up most the story while still setting up another possible season.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #22
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I was as big a S4 booster as anyone but the finale had trouble sticking the landing. The overall story was interesting but a bunch of side plots didn’t go anywhere and there was too much cheesy dialog and poorly executed fight scenes. I think the uncertainty over S5 also caused issues as the writers had to wrap up most the story while still setting up another possible season.
I agree. There's also the challenge if they get a season 5 with that ending. Also feels like a big piece of the puzzling missing of how we got from the world at the end of the season 3 to the situation in the beginning of season 4.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the finale, and still am not sure what world is real.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #24
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
. Also feels like a big piece of the puzzling missing of how we got from the world at the end of the season 3 to the situation in the beginning of season 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Watched the finale, and still am not sure what world is real.

Do I need spoiler tags to respond here? I am not including them as this is a Season 4 thread......

So anyone reading this ... SPOILERS BELOW

I think what happen was:

1. Season 3 ends, with the after credit season Man in black human gets replaced by Man in black bot and you see a room with many bots being grown
  2. Charlette/ Man in Black robot created thousands to millions of bots to replace humans without humans knowing (I mean they literally had a bot to replace Caleb's buddy who was taking his wife and kids to safety)
  3. They replace top people, like the Vice President, and kill those on to them like the NSA guy
  4. Charlette created nano bot flies to infect humans they didn't kill
  5. Those infected were nearly under complete mind control from the bots based on the tones- Caleb found a way to beat it but they didn't actually explain that as far as I saw
  6. Using the updated West World park, they infected the riches of the world with the flies
  7. These people then infect others- they didn't really say how this mechanism works of infecting others, suspension of disbelief, assume extra flies leave ones body and go into someone else, who knows
  8. Vast majority of the worlds population is infected or killed, with only Cities (or one City??) remaining for the infected to live. i.e. Billions of Humans killed. The infected that live in the Citie(s) are play things for the bots, like bots were in Season 1 and 2 for the humans
  9. A few (unknown how many) humans live in the outskirts of society not infected
So basically nearly all humans are dead.

What I don't understand his

1. how Dolorous has her old memory at the end
  2. How the stalker who knew who she was? No one else could see her, and she wasn't the same as the tower that was "hidden" - she wasn't actually there.
  3. who her test is for, the few humans scattered alive, or the bots that made it?
  4. Why Charlotte survived a shot to the head but Maeve is "dead"? Or just no one will go back for her brain, same with Stubs?
  5. Why Charlotte committed suicide
  6. How the man in black road a horse from what clearly was meant to be NY to Hoover Dam and beat a jet
  7. Where did clementine come from? The Man in Black had a scene where he killed her - where was that?
  8. Where were the robots living outside of the Cities aside from ascension? Their own cities doing things?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #25
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, huge spoiler, and these youtube channels will eventually get taken down..

But Paint it Black vs Enter Sandman Scenes. .. both fantastic

I wish this one started slightly earlier with the paint it black fake out on the piano as they were leading up to the same scene - I loved that that baited Paint it Black to switch over

Last edited by Mull; 08-17-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What confused me at the end is that the city we see everyone dead in(after the fighting) is kinda the main action set. Charlotte smashes the floor in the tower to get Dolores's brain ball out. She takes that, and puts it in the big computer bank, where Delores re-awakens...in the city that is supposed to be the real world with all the dead people in the streets. But this is the simulation. Is the simulation mirroring the real world?
Old 08-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #27
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What confused me at the end is that the city we see everyone dead in(after the fighting) is kinda the main action set. Charlotte smashes the floor in the tower to get Dolores's brain ball out. She takes that, and puts it in the big computer bank, where Delores re-awakens...in the city that is supposed to be the real world with all the dead people in the streets. But this is the simulation. Is the simulation mirroring the real world?

My view:

Delores re-awakens in the sublime - despite her "seeing" the dead people and the same City, she was no longer in the City. The City massacre happened, and she was there though but when she rewoke up in like the last scene of the show she was then in the sublime. Maybe she saw the City and dead people in the sublime as it was the last thing she remembered before going dark.

She then clears that memory and creates her new test, which looks like old WestWorld.

Simulations did mirror the real world, but only when the people in the sublime chose to do so

Last edited by Mull; 08-17-2022 at 09:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #28
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Do I need spoiler tags to respond here? I am not including them as this is a Season 4 thread......

So anyone reading this ... SPOILERS BELOW

I think what happen was:

1. Season 3 ends, with the after credit season Man in black human gets replaced by Man in black bot and you see a room with many bots being grown
  2. Charlette/ Man in Black robot created thousands to millions of bots to replace humans without humans knowing (I mean they literally had a bot to replace Caleb's buddy who was taking his wife and kids to safety)
  3. They replace top people, like the Vice President, and kill those on to them like the NSA guy
  4. Charlette created nano bot flies to infect humans they didn't kill
  5. Those infected were nearly under complete mind control from the bots based on the tones- Caleb found a way to beat it but they didn't actually explain that as far as I saw
  6. Using the updated West World park, they infected the riches of the world with the flies
  7. These people then infect others- they didn't really say how this mechanism works of infecting others, suspension of disbelief, assume extra flies leave ones body and go into someone else, who knows
  8. Vast majority of the worlds population is infected or killed, with only Cities (or one City??) remaining for the infected to live. i.e. Billions of Humans killed. The infected that live in the Citie(s) are play things for the bots, like bots were in Season 1 and 2 for the humans
  9. A few (unknown how many) humans live in the outskirts of society not infected
So basically nearly all humans are dead.

What I don't understand his

1. how Dolorous has her old memory at the end
  2. How the stalker who knew who she was? No one else could see her, and she wasn't the same as the tower that was "hidden" - she wasn't actually there.
  3. who her test is for, the few humans scattered alive, or the bots that made it?
  4. Why Charlotte survived a shot to the head but Maeve is "dead"? Or just no one will go back for her brain, same with Stubs?
  5. Why Charlotte committed suicide
  6. How the man in black road a horse from what clearly was meant to be NY to Hoover Dam and beat a jet
  7. Where did clementine come from? The Man in Black had a scene where he killed her - where was that?
  8. Where were the robots living outside of the Cities aside from ascension? Their own cities doing things?
I thought the same thing as (6) but someone mentioned we likely drove most of the way in the truck before it was destroyed or the city wasn't New York (or probably the most likely - just a big plot hole)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

gah, wrong thread!
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #30
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Westworld S4 - 6.26.22

If they get renewed and don’t get Sir Anthony Hopkins back for their last season I will riot.

Dream sequence, flash back, robot, other -don’t care.

With how many people that don’t stay dead and come back they can do it and it won’t even necessary be a lip service but could be good plot.

Even if lip service, the writing hasn’t been “amazing” since season 2 anyway
Old 11-04-2022, 02:02 PM   #31
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/wes...856a1ce23541ee

I guess it is done. I've been meaning to get back to finish Season 4, but if it doesn't get a proper ending, I guess maybe it's not worth it?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #32
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show creators have moved on to The Peripheral at Amazon, so this isn't a shock. I feel like S5 would have been airing in 2024 if it did get greenlit.

I enjoyed this series on the whole, but it definitely meandered in S3 & S4 and lost a lot of its focus. I personally appreciated the attempt at telling larger stories beyond "theme park disaster", but I also get those larger stories largely didn't land with the audience.

I kind of feel like The Peripheral is heading to the same "not landing" spot, but I'll give it a go anyway.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #33
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it had a decent enough ending if that's holding you back from watching Season 4. Honestly, with the way Season 4 ended, I wasn't sure what new story they could tell in Season 5.

It did lose a lot of what made it great once they left the park(s) and entered the "real world".
Old 11-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #34
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still one of the best intros in TV history. I think I watched it fully every episode.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #35
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1551343042132692992
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
For me it was the huge, huge gaps between seasons.

I just lost interest. Too much meandering and eventually it lost me.

8 episodes every ~18 months or so?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:23 PM   #37
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah the gaps didn't help it that's for sure.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the numbers look like if HBO Max viewers are included (assuming they're not)? Season 4 is the only season released after the launch of HBO Max.