Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2022, 01:16 AM   #721
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It's fitting that the team's laissez faire attitude about relief pitching will be the reason they get knocked out of the play-offs.
But you gotta bargain bin the back half of your starting pitching, surely you can't expect them to hammer down a legit bullpen after that?!?!?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:22 AM   #722
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
He shouldn't have had to come in with two runners on and shouldn't have to pitch two innings. Romano is fine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That was sent from your ONEPLUS A6013 USING TAPATALK!!!!!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:24 AM   #723
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Welcome to all the new negative posters in this thread.

For everything else, game is over as a 9-6 final if that pop up in the 8th is hit 5 ft further or shorter.

Let's go Jays. Big bottom of the 9th.
Sorry, just catching up, but what are you saying here?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:26 AM   #724
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
It wasnít a great season though.

It was a really frustrating and disappointing season. The Jays should have won the division but we all accepted it early on it was the Yankees to lose.
That's where bringing back Montoyo instead of moving on after last season really sucks. Yeah, they only missed by a win but the rebuilding phase was over and it was time for a change.

If they go into the season with a new manager they maybe not pass the Yankees in the first half but they keep the gap closer so they have a good chance to pass them in the second half when the Yankees came back down to earth.

Not every loss was on Montoyo but there were plenty of games where bad decisions he made ended up contributing to losses.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #725
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension
 
Sylvanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just outside Enemy Lines
Exp:
Default

The outfield positioning in this era still irks me. Guys like Devon White, Marquise Grissom, or Andruw Jones never played that deep. I get it with no one on or guys on only first and second and a big lead. But they basically turned a 135 foot fly ball into a 3 run double on a #9 hitter who slugged 336 on the season. If he hits a triple it scores the same number of runs.
__________________
"Some guys like old balls"
Patriots QB Tom Brady

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 10-09-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #726
Harry Lime
Franchise Player
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The outfield positioning in this era still irks me. Guys like Devon White, Marquise Grissom, or Andruw Jones never played that deep. I get it with no one on or guys on only first and second and a big lead. But they basically turned a 135 foot fly balk into a 3 run double on a #9 hitter who slugged 336 on the season. If he hits a triple it scores the same number of runs.
This is one way getting rid of the shift will be good. It closes gaps in the infield but completely messes up the outfield.
__________________
"We don't even know who our best player is yet. It could be any one of us at this point." - Peter LaFleur, player/coach, Average Joe's Gymnasium
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #727
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sorry, just catching up, but what are you saying here?
Theyíre trying to revise history and hang the entire loss on one hit. Mariners had 13 hits and four walks. Yeah thereís going to be an occasional hit on soft contact in there. Thatís what happens when your pitcher isnít fooling anyone.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #728
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The outfield positioning in this era still irks me. Guys like Devon White, Marquise Grissom, or Andruw Jones never played that deep. I get it with no one on or guys on only first and second and a big lead. But they basically turned a 135 foot fly balk into a 3 run double on a #9 hitter who slugged 336 on the season. If he hits a triple it scores the same number of runs.
Youíre talking some of the greatest defensive fielders of all time. Not unusual for most guys to play deep IMO. You just canít sell out in that situation, need to minimize the damage. The whole point was to avoid extra bases.

But you have to recognize the batter too. And youíre right maybe in this case the odds of a hard hit ball are lower.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #729
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Theyíre trying to revise history and hang the entire loss on one hit. Mariners had 13 hits and four walks. Yeah thereís going to be an occasional hit on soft contact in there. Thatís what happens when your pitcher isnít fooling anyone.
It was hit off Romano, and he was pitching fine.

Obviously one hit wasn't the whole ballgame, but that blooper scored 3 runs, tying the game in the 8th with 2 out. If it doesn't drop, that ends the 8th and it's 9-6 - greater than 95% chance they go on to win. So yeah, the game rested on that hit.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2022, 08:05 PM   #730
browna
Franchise Player
 
browna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Theyíre trying to revise history and hang the entire loss on one hit. Mariners had 13 hits and four walks. Yeah thereís going to be an occasional hit on soft contact in there. Thatís what happens when your pitcher isnít fooling anyone.
No revision, just facts. As Enoch says, that bloop doesn't hit the ground and the game is effectively over. Even if Springer backs off and lets it bounce but stays in front of it, there is no collision and maybe only one or two runs score, Jays still have the lead.

Romano had just clutch struck out two straight Mariners with all those men on base. And then got the lazy pop up that every Jay and Jay fan wanted 100% of the time in that situation.

And Jays got 12 hits and 4 walks..what's your point? Most of the Jays hits were a lot harder, removing luck as this hit was, for whatever that's worth....and Ms used 8 pitchers to that point as opposed to 4 for the Jays.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:52 PM   #731
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
No revision, just facts. As Enoch says, that bloop doesn't hit the ground and the game is effectively over. Even if Springer backs off and lets it bounce but stays in front of it, there is no collision and maybe only one or two runs score, Jays still have the lead.

Romano had just clutch struck out two straight Mariners with all those men on base. And then got the lazy pop up that every Jay and Jay fan wanted 100% of the time in that situation.

And Jays got 12 hits and 4 walks..what's your point? Most of the Jays hits were a lot harder, removing luck as this hit was, for whatever that's worth....and Ms used 8 pitchers to that point as opposed to 4 for the Jays.
Lots of facts you can look at. Jansen hits a ball 64 mph and itís an RBI double. Rodriguez hits it 111 MPH and itís an out.

Both teams had very high xBA in that game. If Springer makes the smarter play maybe the Jays leave the inning with the lead. Misplaying that ball wasnít luck.

All a bunch of IFs. You play the game as it unfolds as best you can.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:02 PM   #732
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

There are many plays where guys choked. The burmuda triangle play was total nonsense, and nobody’s talked about it. Bo was running out there and just wailing his arms around. What was he thinking not communicating and just throwing his arms like that when it wasn’t close to him, knowing Springer is charging in. Springer who seems to get injured sneezing, was already tentative before that and he’s coming in scared that Bo is about to hit him so he jumps left when the ball is five feet to his right, just to avoid Bo, but inexplicably keeps his hand out too. No communication but Bo just trying to play Hail Mary hero. He’s really got to check his ego more. As a team they gotta communicate better and be more disciplined to do what’s best for the team and not just themselves. That play was super annoying to me.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:09 PM   #733
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It was hit off Romano, and he was pitching fine.

Obviously one hit wasn't the whole ballgame, but that blooper scored 3 runs, tying the game in the 8th with 2 out. If it doesn't drop, that ends the 8th and it's 9-6 - greater than 95% chance they go on to win. So yeah, the game rested on that hit.
This made me chuckle though.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021