Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
VFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Flames Five Burning Questions for the Flames Off-season 2022

1) How many starts should Dan Vladar get for the upcoming 2023 NHL season? (ie. what would be reasonable split in games started between Vladar and Markstrom)? Should Dan Vladar start in some playoff games (assuming Calgary makes the 2023 playoffs)?

2) What is the threshold to consider Brad Treliving on the hot seat if we lose any combination of the following players to free agency/offer sheets?:
  • Johnny Gaudreau
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Andrew Mangiapane
  • Oliver Kylington

3) What would be a decent Plan B for the possibility of losing Johnny Gaudreau to free agency? (can be trades, free agent signings, offer-sheets, etc.)

4) How long does Darryl Sutter stay as head coach? (for reference, his time with Los Angeles lasted ~5 years from 2012-2017)

5) With the draft picks we have available (assuming we don't trade for more picks this 2022 entry draft), who do you think we should draft?

I would love to hear your answers to these questions.
VFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing players or any combination players should never be the "threshold" for a GM being in the hot seat or not.

That should always be team performance on the ice.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don’t think these are the 5 burning questions for the Flames. Question 1 feels very irrelevant at this stage. Right now it is all about keeping our current group together and if that fails there are many directions they could go.

Really the only burning question above is 3.

Treliving won’t be fired unless the team completely falls flat. Sutter likely doesn’t leave unless the same happens. With 3 late round picks I don’t know many on this board who are that plugged into junior hockey to give legit answers.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFlames View Post

4) How long does Darryl Sutter stay as head coach? (for reference, his time with Los Angeles lasted ~5 years from 2012-2017).

Until business is finished
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've accepted that there's a good chance that Gaudreau walks via UFA. For me, the absolute biggest question now is how Treliving manages the Tkachuk negotiations. If he isn't willing to extend with Calgary, we need to cash in on him while his value is at an all time high. I'd prefer we lock up Tkachuk long term, but if negotiations don't go well, we absolutely can't go into next season with him unsigned
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:57 PM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The second-rounder gets swapped for two third-rounders, or a third and two fifths, or something like that.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:21 PM   #7
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The second-rounder gets swapped for two third-rounders, or a third and two fifths, or something like that.
Treliving special, and I like it with the way our late drafting has been the last 6-7 years
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eventually there will be a Calgary Picks Predictions thread, but here are mine.

I think that they go for the best centre available at the first pick, from there I think that they target either a defenseman or size with the second pick, and the last pick they swing for the fences. This is assuming that they don't pick up any other picks.

#59 - Daniil Zhilkin, Jordan Gustafson or David Goyette
#177 - Rayan Bettahar
#219 - Samuel Savoie
Old 06-30-2022, 03:39 PM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I'll play.....
Darryl stays as long as he wants. If he finishes his unfinished business he has more choices I guess....stay, retire, step into another role?

Brad's done a great job. Darryl even said upon returning he felt thr blueprint was a good one.

If Johhny goes ? You don't replace #13 . It's like asking when does another #12 come along.
Plan B? Tough shoes to fill. No ideas.

Vladar needs needs needs to push for the #1 spot as does the Wolf. I'm not totally sold on Markstrom and these guys need to make it harder on him to keep that starters job.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary flames , coachsutter , draft picks , goalies , offseason