Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #161
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

ND won’t be left out because there’s no sane argument to leave them out. Their schedule was fine.

They rank 36 is SOS, ahead of Bama, Clemson, Ohio State. And that’s only 2 spots worse than OU who ranks 34th.

SOR ND are #2 behind only Bama.

They beat 4 ranked teams plus they beat the B10 West champ Northwestern.

The only thing worth discussing is whether ND should be lumped with the ACC due to their scheduling agreement but that’s a discussion for the future, it has no relevance to this year.

Somebody is always angry, doesn’t matter how many teams make it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #162
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As of right now you can basically see that Bama, Clemson & ND are in the playoffs. I think that even with a L you don't leave Bama out. The only chance for OU or OSU are a Georgia loss.

As for ND, they are an undefeated team who played a decent enough schedule. I don't see any argument how you leave them out.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #163
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Notre Dame isn't being left out for the same reason Ohio State made the playoff in 2015 ahead of TCU, $$$$$$$$$. No way will ESPN ever allow ND to be left out given the ratings they would bring. And for that reason you also gotta think Ohio State gets in over Oklahoma, though that's a bit more even than Ohio State-TCU was.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #164
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
As of right now you can basically see that Bama, Clemson & ND are in the playoffs. I think that even with a L you don't leave Bama out. The only chance for OU or OSU are a Georgia loss.

As for ND, they are an undefeated team who played a decent enough schedule. I don't see any argument how you leave them out.
One arguement against that is it means potentially leaving two 1 loss conference champions out of the playoff to take in a team that did not win it's own conference. I know the committee has sort of done this before (picked Bama and OSU over a conference champ in previous years) but I'm not sure if they have every left out TWO conference champs. This would set a really bad precedent and leagues could arguably say screw it to even playing a championship game for their conference if it clearly means nothing to the committee. It would also probably speed up the expansion of the playoffs to 6 or 8 teams.

The committee is probably silently hoping Bama demolishes Georgia this weeks and takes then out of the equation.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #165
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Notre Dame isn't being left out for the same reason Ohio State made the playoff in 2015 ahead of TCU, $$$$$$$$$. No way will ESPN ever allow ND to be left out given the ratings they would bring. And for that reason you also gotta think Ohio State gets in over Oklahoma, though that's a bit more even than Ohio State-TCU was.
I'm not gonna say money and ratings is never an issue but I'm not even sure why you'd bring this up. ND is clearly beyond a shadow of a doubt a top 4 team.

Also Ohio State got in because they were better than TCU. It was the right choice. Just because it is also the choice that money and ratings favours, doesn't make it wrong.

As for who makes it, Bama is a lock unless they get blown out. A one possession loss and they're in, guaranteed.

ND is in 100%.

Clemson is in if they win.

Not sure who I'd take between Ohio State and OU. Probably OU. Screw Ohio State.

I think you have to look big picture. Simply saying team x should be in because you can't exclude conference champions doesn't hold a lot of weight. No one is going to stop playing conference championships just because a couple of them got excluded one year. Not when the B12 got excluded for not having one.

Let's say Bama loses 34-24. Clemson wins, OU wins, OSU wins.

That makes Clemson/ND the undisputed 1/2. Georgia becomes clearcut 3. Then you have three 1 loss teams. OU lost to Texas (who they beat later in the B12 champs), OSU who lost to a bad Purdue team, Bama lost to a conference champion.

OSU is out for having the worst loss. Brings it down to Bama and OU. This one is much tougher. I'd personally side with the conference champion. I don't care that Bama is logically the better team based on stats and watching, they lost when it mattered so they're out.

I could understand if the committee disagreed but I think there has to be a limit on the whole "lets pick the best 4 teams regardless" attitude. Record, conference champions, statement wins, embarrassing losses etc still need to have some influence. Those things are at the heart of college football, having every week matter. At the same time I totally get they want to avoid 2012 ND getting in just because they were "undefeated". You want to encourage teams to have tough schedules, not puffball schedules so they can go undefeated and guarantee a playoff spot.

Since neither Bama, OSU or OU should be excluded for having a record that is not representative of their quality, I'd go with the conference champion who lost to a ranked team, so OU is my #4. But I wouldnt care if Bama made it. OSU can go #### themselves. They're a garbage program and they lost to a garbage Purdue team.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #166
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm not gonna say money and ratings is never an issue but I'm not even sure why you'd bring this up. ND is clearly beyond a shadow of a doubt a top 4 team.

Also Ohio State got in because they were better than TCU. It was the right choice. Just because it is also the choice that money and ratings favours, doesn't make it wrong.

As for who makes it, Bama is a lock unless they get blown out. A one possession loss and they're in, guaranteed.

ND is in 100%.

I think you have to look big picture. Simply saying team x should be in because you can't exclude conference champions doesn't hold a lot of weight. No one is going to stop playing conference championships just because a couple of them got excluded one year. Not when the B12 got excluded for not having one.

That makes Clemson/ND the undisputed 1/2. Georgia becomes clearcut 3. Then you have three 1 loss teams. OU lost to Texas (who they beat later in the B12 champs), OSU who lost to a bad Purdue team, Bama lost to a conference champion.

OSU is out for having the worst loss. Brings it down to Bama and OU. This one is much tougher. I'd personally side with the conference champion. I don't care that Bama is logically the better team based on stats and watching, they lost when it mattered so they're out.

I could understand if the committee disagreed but I think there has to be a limit on the whole "lets pick the best 4 teams regardless" attitude. Record, conference champions, statement wins, embarrassing losses etc still need to have some influence. Those things are at the heart of college football, having every week matter. At the same time I totally get they want to avoid 2012 ND getting in just because they were "undefeated". You want to encourage teams to have tough schedules, not puffball schedules so they can go undefeated and guarantee a playoff spot.

Since neither Bama, OSU or OU should be excluded for having a record that is not representative of their quality, I'd go with the conference champion who lost to a ranked team, so OU is my #4. But I wouldnt care if Bama made it. OSU can go #### themselves. They're a garbage program and they lost to a garbage Purdue team.
I think Notre Dame would be a signficant underdog against any of the other top 6 AP teams, and will probably be 2 TD underdogs against Clemson or Alabama.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #167
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

ND is in 100%.

I'm saying that even if Notre Dame were the worst undefeated team of all-time, against the easiest schedule ever played, with every win being because of corrupt officiating....they'd still get in over more or less every other team. Advantages of having the biggest brand pretty much.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #168
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohio State lost by 29 to an unranked 6-6 team.

OUs lone loss was by 3 points to 9-3 Texas.#

You shouldn't be getting in if you lose by 29 to an unranked team that is 6-6.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #169
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Ohio State lost by 29 to an unranked 6-6 team.

OUs lone loss was by 3 points to 9-3 Texas.#

You shouldn't be getting in if you lose by 29 to an unranked team that is 6-6.
They lost by two touchdowns at home to a 6-6 team in 2015, so it won't matter. As long as they win Saturday, I'll be stunned if they are left out.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #170
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They lost by two touchdowns at home to a 6-6 team in 2015, so it won't matter. As long as they win Saturday, I'll be stunned if they are left out.
Assuming both OSU and OU win on Saturday I think it would come down to how dominant each team is in their victory. A blowout win by either team compared to a close game for the other should probably be enough to swing it.

Of course none of that will matter if Georgia wins too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #171
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oklahoma is ahead in today's rankings.

I can't see how OSU could pass Oklahoma if they both win considering who their opponents are.

I don't really buy that ESPN even cares if OSU or Oklahoma is playing Alabama. They'd probably take the team who gives them a better game.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #172
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Barring disaster there’s no way ohio state jumps Oklahoma. Their bed crapping against Purdue guarantees that. Assuming both teams win Oklahoma besting Texas is a better win than triumphing over mighty Northwestern.

The real fun will be if Georgia can knock off Alabama does Oklahoma then leapfrog bama? Doubtful and then the big12 and Big10 will be extra tearful and salty.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #173
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing worth discussing is whether ND should be lumped with the ACC due to their scheduling agreement but that’s a discussion for the future, it has no relevance to this year.
I know this won't happen but just as an aside, i wish they could join the Big 10. Maybe it's from how much they used to play Michigan and Michigan State, but they always had that Big 10 feel to me
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #174
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

*duplicate post*
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #175
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Weren’t they reviewing whether the pic happened before the facemask? PBP guys seem so confused.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #176
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I know this won't happen but just as an aside, i wish they could join the Big 10. Maybe it's from how much they used to play Michigan and Michigan State, but they always had that Big 10 feel to me
Lots of natural geographic rivalries in the B10. But they’d have to go to the West division. It’s already quite a bit weaker than the East. And they’d need to drop a team to make room.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #177
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooners have their hands full with the 'Horns right now. Great game.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #178
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas ties and a convert will give the lead. What a game! The Texas QB looks like a real Texan too, some real cute clips of him in Texas gear as a kid and singing the Texas fight song.

edit: kicker blows the go ahead single. god.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #179
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

What a catch.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #180
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'll it it for Oklahoma. No way back for Texas here imo.