Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #3281
Guest1

Could your request be a little more vague?

What is the month you're looking at? Where in Aus are you looking at? When/where do you have to be for the wedding? Is your preference cheap or fast?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #3282
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ha. I guess that it was. We are looking for next May. Australia is the question mark. She has always wanted to go to Perth and I've always wanted to do Sydney. So probably Perth. Once we are in Bali, we have trasportation taken care of for the wedding (exact dates are not finalized yet). And my preference is a balanced mixture of cheap and fast. We know that it will be long
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3283
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your request is pretty vague but I can find around $2,600/person from Calgary-Denpasar-Perth-Calgary.

Depart Calgary May 2, fly through Tokyo
Depart Denpasar May 24, direct to Perth
Depart Perth June 13, connect in Guangzhou and Vancouver

Actually you can do it for $1,900:

YYC-DPS May 3, connecting in Vancouver (2 1/2 hours) and Hong Kong (4 hours)
DPS-PER May 24 direct flight
PER-YYC Jun 13, connecting in Hong Kong (1 hour) and Vancouver (1 1/2 hours)

Last edited by malcolmk14; 02-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #3284
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Ha. I guess that it was. We are looking for next May. Australia is the question mark. She has always wanted to go to Perth and I've always wanted to do Sydney. So probably Perth. Once we are in Bali, we have trasportation taken care of for the wedding (exact dates are not finalized yet). And my preference is a balanced mixture of cheap and fast. We know that it will be long
There's been some pretty amazing prices to Bali out of Vancouver lately, thanks to some awesome prices on Malaysia Airlines in conjunction with Japan Airlines. It's also possible to get an extended stopover in Tokyo, and I know there's been some people that have used this deal to get to Perth cheaply as well.

Blog post: Vancouver to Bali, Indonesia | $849 roundtrip including taxes
http://www.yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to...ncluding-taxes

One of the comments at the bottom of the post...

Quote:
We booked it at the 756 price with the Japan stop over and have brought 350 return flights from Bali to Perth Australia as well. We were looking at flights to Perth for April and May and we were looking at 2100. We now have the same destination with an added stop in Bali for nearly a grand less Per person. This is a MAGICAL deal and worth booking. Dont dilly dally, you know you will regret it!
From YYC, I'd ballpark the typical bottom to DPS at around $1200-$1300 roundtrip inc. taxes. $1100 would be unusual Don't believe it's ever gone under $1000 from what I can recall.

The fastest it can be typically be done is around 25 hours of total travel time there, and 22 hours coming home. An example in May that is somewhat close to this mark, both in terms of price and travel time....

http://www.kayak.com/flights/YYC-DPS...05-21-flexible

You can find pretty reasonable flight prices between Perth and Bali. My sister lives in Perth and Denpasar is one of the few places she can travel to from this very isolated Australian city for a decent price. AirAsia has flights for just $273 roundtrip incl. taxes. $394 on Jetstar... http://www.kayak.com/flights/DPS-PER...05-21-flexible

So you could theoretically get both roundtrip flights (YYC-DPS + DPS-PER) for $1300 + $273, or $1573. I'd compare that against multi-city flight search to see what the price difference is.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #3285
NewVegasRanger
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I'm going to disagree -- don't most carriers these days charge the same price regardless of whether you buy one way versus round trip?
I travel a lot around Europe, so I mostly follow the fluctuations in prices with the airlines I most frequently use. When I'm home I don't usually use that much domestic flights. You might be right, maybe it depends on the carrier.
NewVegasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #3286
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Iceland | $754 roundtrip including taxes | June 2014

($570 from Edmonton)

Blog post: http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-i...axes-june-2014

Booked it over the weekend, always wanted to check out Iceland, looks like a beautiful country.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #3287
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's an awesome deal to Iceland. I loved the 5 days we spent there, it's such an amazing country.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #3288
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey Chris,
Re: the AMEX deal on your site. I signed up using your link and am wondering how quickly I can get my own link? Do I have to wait to get the AMEX to login to the rewards tab?
Thanks!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #3289
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Hey Chris,
Re: the AMEX deal on your site. I signed up using your link and am wondering how quickly I can get my own link? Do I have to wait to get the AMEX to login to the rewards tab?
Thanks!
Hi ranchlandsselling,

Thanks, definitely appreciate it! Unfortunately I do think you need to wait until your AMEX card number is issued, because it's required to generate the referral link under the rewards tab. It requires the card number and the e-mail address linked to your AMEX account to generate the link.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #3290
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Hi ranchlandsselling,

Thanks, definitely appreciate it! Unfortunately I do think you need to wait until your AMEX card number is issued, because it's required to generate the referral link under the rewards tab. It requires the card number and the e-mail address linked to your AMEX account to generate the link.
Think the referral program will last that long?
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #3291
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Think the referral program will last that long?
I think so, they've had the referral program for quite a while. Apparently referral links used to expire, then they got rid the referral program for a period of time a while back, but then brought it back last year with referral links that don't expire. So I think the odds are good that it will be around for a while in some form.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #3292
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary to Iceland | $754 roundtrip including taxes | June 2014

($570 from Edmonton)

Blog post: http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-i...axes-june-2014

Booked it over the weekend, always wanted to check out Iceland, looks like a beautiful country.
Damn! Prices out of Edmonton jumped to 668. I'll keep following to see if they drop. Would be cheap enough to justify a short trip.

Thanks for the tip!
something is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to something For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #3293
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey Chris - Just another thanks for the Maui flight deal you shared last year. SO and I just got back and we had an amazing time. Keep us posted on the next one!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #3294
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey Chris - Just another thanks for the Maui flight deal you shared last year. SO and I just got back and we had an amazing time. Keep us posted on the next one!
Glad you had fun! That was certainly a highly unusual price to Maui that I've never seen before, or since.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #3295
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Glad you had fun! That was certainly a highly unusual price to Maui that I've never seen before, or since.
Thanks Chris for the Maui deal. Our kids loved Maui and it's sad to think good deals like this might not happen ever again. Should have planned two Maui trips when we had the chances
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #3296
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone flown Iceland Air? I'm trying to get to Copenhagen in August from YYJ and it looks like they have good prices on one-way tickets.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #3297
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone flown Iceland Air? I'm trying to get to Copenhagen in August from YYJ and it looks like they have good prices on one-way tickets.
A coworker flew with Iceland Air and said it was good. He would fly with them again. I haven't flown with them myself
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #3298
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a heads up that Calgary-Vancouver prices are currently the cheapest they've been in a long time (~$230 roundtrip incl. taxes).

https://www.google.ca/flights/explor...5;d=2014-02-20

A route that's been pretty pricey the last few years ($350-$450 for a 90 min flight!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #3299
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I've flown with Iceland air to Copenhagen a few times. They are pretty good - nice planes and decent service.
In my experience, that are the cheapest way to get to Scandinavia. I believe you can book an extended layover in Iceland for no additional charge too, so you can visit Iceland, which is well worth it, even if for a couple days.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #3300
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
I've flown with Iceland air to Copenhagen a few times. They are pretty good - nice planes and decent service.
In my experience, that are the cheapest way to get to Scandinavia. I believe you can book an extended layover in Iceland for no additional charge too, so you can visit Iceland, which is well worth it, even if for a couple days.
I was reading online that they don't have some of the perks (i.e. food, booze) that bigger airlines have. I ended up finding a flight through British Airways that was only about $150 more, so I jumped on that.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote