Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #1661
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
But it is a system to explain away an problem we find to be in explainable, with an unfounded story that can't be tested. Or as some call it, religion.
This is a silly, simplistic description of what religion is. If you want to tailor your description to deliberately be as vague and high-level as possible, you can basically fit anything into any category you like. Or as some call it, empty sophistry.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #1662
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
And they all contain substantial differences of fact that make the whole written by God and inerrant a foolish arguement, if God wrote the Bible then God's memory is clearly suffering from something serious
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #1663
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think a better analogy to the possibility of the existence of god comes from literature and history, not biology and science.

It's closer akin to the history of the Trojan War, the existence of the Anatolian Hittite Empire, the neo-Babylonian Empire, or the Judean Davidic Dynasty—all of which were considered complete fabrications until archaeological excavations and surveys beginning in the 19th century. So, if there is eventual compelling evidence for something like a "god" it will enter the realm of whatever it is we at that point consider to be the natural world, but will almost certainly bear little if any resemblance to the stories and ideas about god from history.
I agree. Throughout the ages many unknowns attributed to god or the supernatural have been explained by science. Today there are fewer such unknowns but still some pretty big ones
  • the nature of consciousness and the soul
  • how and why are we here
  • what, where and why is the universe
to name a few. Unfortunately for many people the only vocabulary to rationalize the unknown is god (aka magic), which ties to a larger set of religious beliefs (aka mythology). In reality if there is a god they would also be part of science and act through scientific mechanisms we just don't understand yet. Gravity for example is still pretty much magic but we accept it as a scientific mechanism because we can measure it.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #1664
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus. No, they weren’t. The four canonical Gospels were all written before 100 C.E.
Thanks for the correction. Point stands.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #1665
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a higher percentage of edgelords among the atheist community than any other community that has existed in human history.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #1666
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
There is a higher percentage of edgelords among the atheist community than any other community that has existed in human history.
Had to look up edgelord..

An edgelord is someone on an internet forum who deliberately talks about controversial, offensive, taboo, or nihilistic subjects in order to shock other users in an effort to appear cool, or edgy.

Considering the internet has only been around for 30-40 years, and communities like this for maybe 20, I think you exaggerate.
Religious fanatics have owned that sphere for centuries, hell they could get entire communities to kill themselves with various types of poison just because they were cool and edgy.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #1667
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of fanatics, and certainly wasn't referring to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #1668
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
In either case, unicorn or god were born from peoples imaginations making the discovery of them nonsensical, which isn’t the case with bacteria.
I dunno dude, you kind of sound like one of those old timey doctors who thought the idea of washing their hands between surgeries was preposterous. Preposterous imaginative bollocks! (your avatar doesn't help)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #1669
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a fan of fanatics, and certainly wasn't referring to you.
Lol, triggered
Old 12-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #1670
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think a better analogy to the possibility of the existence of god comes from literature and history, not biology and science.
Fair enough, but it would help if so much of it wasn’t so absolutely crazy. The ark, rising from the dead, moving boulders and floating to heaven, things like that

I know you have a lot more to work with than that, but I’m just a casual observer of the stories

Last edited by DuffMan; 12-01-2019 at 05:59 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #1671
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, but it would help if so much of it wasn’t so absolutely crazy. The ark, rising from the dead, moving boulders and floating to heaven, things like that.
Well, yeah. That would also make it a lot less fun and interesting. Reading pre-scientific stories about the great flood, or apocalyptic myths borne from foreign occupation and oppression from a modern perspective will result in missing some of the best, most useful and meaningful parts. When one actually takes the time and care to enter into an ancient worldview to discover the deeper meaning of these myths she or he can actually learn things about themselves and their world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #1672
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, but it would help if so much of it wasn’t so absolutely crazy. The ark, rising from the dead, moving boulders and floating to heaven, things like that

I know you have a lot more to work with than that, but I’m just a casual observer of the stories
Exactly, those are stories of just ONE faith. There are many faiths with their own stories, and some of them are a lot more logical, some of them are oh, so much worse (I'm looking at you Mormons). None of them are right. All of them are right. It doesn't matter. They're just stories.

It has nothing to do with the possibility of the existence of god. It's a completely separate philosophical subject.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #1673
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I’m not religious or a believer in any religion whatsoever, but I have over time absolutely opened up to the idea of a God/creator. This is largely due to the idea that unless humanity as we know it is wiped out in the next few centuries, we ourselves will be capable of playing “God”. Simulation theory, and all that.

We’re approaching a point where our own technology should be able to produce a reality that is, for all of those within it, indistinguishable from the one we’re living in right now.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #1674
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know for a fact Jesus would be cruising the desert in one of these:

Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #1675
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been through my militant anti-theist phase, and while I'm still an agnostic atheist and anti-theist, it's mercifully becoming less and less of an issue these days such that I really don't need to dedicate much if any time to talking about the subject.

BUT...

If someone was raised on and had it hammered into their head all of the religious nonsense that many people from religious upbringings have been subjected to, only to come to the conclusion that you've been: lied to, emotionally abused (eg: told you'll be eternally tortured for some minor transgression unless you pray to this petty, capricious father figure in the sky), and kept in the dark about the realities of the world by the only people in your life you thought you could trust with absolute certainty, I have a very hard time faulting them for being incredibly harsh in opposition.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #1676
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't disagree with that.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #1677
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MGTOW and HAES...
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #1678
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
MGTOW and HAES...
MGTOW is pretty bad. At least with HAES, the issue will resolve itself over the next 10 years when all its adherents eat themselves to death health.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #1679
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Fervent belief that there are no gods is no more defensible than belief in a god. Don't "believe" anything, instead place statements on a spectrum from nearly certain to extremely unlikely. Essentially, be an agnostic about everything, which doesn't prevent you from having an opinion, just from an unreasoned one.
Especially as we are seeing more progress in mathematical theories on various ideas on what this world could be. Quantum mechanics, multiverse, simulation, etc.

Being ashiest as a pragmatic, common sense mind had a place in history, but right now seems like a really dumb time to proclaim to be atheist. At this point you're starting to close your mind off just the same as religious folk have done.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #1680
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Saying god could still exist is like saying unicorns could still exist (not being a dick, just pointing that out)

How could a person accept the facts and science and still believe a god exists without a shred of proof, ever? Blind faith or something more?
Out of curiosity, have you studied any scientific theories relating to our existence? There are a lot of promising theories that lend credence to a creator.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: