Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will the Flames make the playoffs?
Yes 291 59.75%
No 196 40.25%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2023, 03:18 PM   #321
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So has anyone correlated being good at generating low and medium danger chances to winning hockey games?
I think a better question would be does it correlate to more goals scored as there are 2 ends of the ice?

Goals per game 5 on 5:

Top 10 teams in LDCF - 2.01
Middle 12 in LDCF - 2.07
Bottom 10 teams in LDCF - 1.93

It doesn't seem to have a huge impact on what teams put the puck in the net at 5 on 5.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #322
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Ugh. The models agree.

Whoosh.
Using the Chicago game to prove a point about the Flames defensive play

Whoosh

Again, worst game of the season.

Last edited by dino7c; 01-30-2023 at 03:25 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:24 PM   #323
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
So has anyone correlated being good at generating low and medium danger chances to winning hockey games?
Yeah like does a high shot volume strategy work offensively?

My first look at that would be GF60-xGF60. If you have a flawed model and a low quality high volume approach should show a big disparity xGF60/GF60.

23 teams are with 1/4 goal of that target which is pretty significant.

Teams that are hurting compared to expected totals.

1. Ottawa -0.84
2. Carolina -0.48
3. Nashville - 0.42

Teams that get more than they "deserve" based on models ...

1. Seattle +0.69
2. Boston +0.29

And that's it on the positive side.

The Flames are right in the middle.

Ottawa and Carolina are certainly high shot volume teams across most metrics, but then so too are Calgary, Jersey and Florida and they're all middle of the pack for disparity.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #324
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah like does a high shot volume strategy work offensively?

My first look at that would be GF60-xGF60. If you have a flawed model and a low quality high volume approach should show a big disparity xGF60/GF60.

23 teams are with 1/4 goal of that target which is pretty significant.

Teams that are hurting compared to expected totals.

1. Ottawa -0.84
2. Carolina -0.48
3. Nashville - 0.42

Teams that get more than they "deserve" based on models ...

1. Seattle +0.69
2. Boston +0.29

And that's it on the positive side.

The Flames are right in the middle.

Ottawa and Carolina are certainly high shot volume teams across most metrics, but then so too are Calgary, Jersey and Florida and they're all middle of the pack for disparity.
Thanks. And could high shot volume have a correlation to what you give up? The whole theory behind Corsi was that shots are a proxy for possession and possession is good.

But there might be something about low quality shots resulting in loss of possession. And that generating a high volume of low quality chances leaves you exposed mentally or physically to chances against you. I think you have alluded to it before, it takes a certain amount of discipline to stick to an approach that requires you to outshoot the opposition by a wide margin, especially when you're not always rewarded on the scoresheet. The margin is always going to be small.

IMO the Flames don't really have the horses to do it any other way.

Which is also why I don't put it all on the goalies.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #325
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Using the Chicago game to prove a point about the Flames defensive play

Whoosh

Again, worst game of the season.
Against a formidable foe

Get out of here
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #326
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm cheating by answering 2 weeks after the poll was put up but... no. The team has the skill to potentially do it and in the multiverse of madness, would make the playoffs in 4/10 seasons like this one (a number pulled out of my...).

But I think a few things are weighing them down and won't be overcome until they get a reset over summer. Namely, Markstrom's step back, the former Panthers' under performance, and OK missing on defense.

It's so hard to find the tenacity to scramble for a wildcard after coming into the season with designs on the division crown.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #327
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of right now I think its trending towards no. The team can't put together any consistent winning streak to get some breathing room.

We need to go on a 5-6 game run especially when a team like Vegas is cratering here to make the rice even tighter.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 04:54 PM   #328
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No Bingo thinks it's highly unlikely any particular team busts terribly far outside the averages for these models.

Listing turnovers for huge scoring chances by the Flames means nothing if you haven't looked at all 32 teams with the same lense and without a bias.

That's all I'm saying.

You have a goalie bias, you have for years, so yeah you seem to want to refute the Flames defense metrics in support of the Calgary goaltenders.

There really isn't any factual stats to back that up.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying it's unlikely you're right.

Can you do me a favour?

Please stop with the ‘you’ve got a goalie bias’ as a way to dismiss my point of view. It is weak.

If I have a position on goalies, it’s generally that they get too much credit for their success and their failure. I’ve said before, a team can contribute +/- 10 or so points to sv%, a goalie can contribute maybe +5 or 10, and obviously lower on the minus side if they are really stinking.

And to discuss that, I point to things that aren’t captured in the data. What are reasonable expectations from a goalie, in various situations.

You know full well that the models don’t capture the things I mentioned.

It’s a cop out to say ‘well, to have the opinion that the Flames make more egregious costly mistakes than other teams, you have to watch every game of every team’. Technically, perhaps, but for practical purposes, I watch enough hockey that I am comfortable commenting.

I have seen the Flames lose many games due to bad goals on terrible coverage, and ill timed turnovers. This year, I have noticed massive poor decisions and brain farts that were not there last year.

There are two teams every time the Flames play. I watch all of the Flames games, so have those teams to compare, plus several of other teams. No, you can’t watch every game, but it’s a cop out to say ‘well, every team makes the same amount of mistakes’.

Go ahead and show me the fundamental mistakes by Chicago that resulted in high quality Flames chances. The two I mentioned were basic mistakes that pro players shouldn’t make, and gifted that game to a bad team.

There are several games where the Flames have out shot, but lost because they out-mistaked their opponent (yeah that’s a word now)

The goalies have had their stinkers, but the team D has left them hung out to dry more often than the good teams do to their goalies.

And again, these models and the capturing of the egregious mistakes I’m talking about are fully 100% independent.

It is not meaningful to point to the model, and say anything about the likelihood of teams busting outside them. Because I’m talking about something that the model doesn’t actually claim to measure

Just because it’s not measured does not mean it is not happening.

The Flames are exactly where they are in the standings because of costly mistakes. The models may show them being ‘better’ than they actually are. But they are right where they belong. Below expectations
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #329
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of their goalies is on a 77 point pace
One is on a 111 point pace

Seems pretty easy to determine one goalie has basically cost them the season should they not make it. That goalie is also my favorite player but the stats are what they are
Old 01-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #330
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will make the playoffs and I expect will be one of maybe 4 teams vying for the top seed in the west when it's all said and done. 9 points is the difference between top spot and last wild card right now.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:17 PM   #331
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty sure they will make the playoffs.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:10 PM   #332
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The standings really should be based on the points percentage of every teams backup goalie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 10:17 PM   #333
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The standings really should be based on the points percentage of every teams backup goalie.
missed the point as usual...Vladar has also played 3 of 4 including the division rival. Not sure if he is the backup anymore

When your "starter" is the 50th best goalie in the NHL after being #2 the previous season it just might have something to do with your place in the standings.

Presumably the Flames play Vladar more in the 2nd half, he has done far better...if that continues they will likely have a higher points percentage moving forward. Duh

Last edited by dino7c; 01-30-2023 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:04 PM   #334
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
missed the point as usual...Vladar has also played 3 of 4 including the division rival. Not sure if he is the backup anymore

When your "starter" is the 50th best goalie in the NHL after being #2 the previous season it just might have something to do with your place in the standings.

Presumably the Flames play Vladar more in the 2nd half, he has done far better...if that continues they will likely have a higher points percentage moving forward. Duh
I didn’t miss the point, it’s your usual quest for an angle that shows the Flames in a better light. It reminds of when you posted about their record under Ward once he took over the team. That’s the problem with small sample sizes, things even out.

Some better goaltending would certainly help though, no argument there.

You say they are an 111 point team with average goaltending. What is their average goals for in those games you are using as a basis for that projection?
Old 01-30-2023, 11:48 PM   #335
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t miss the point, it’s your usual quest for an angle that shows the Flames in a better light. It reminds of when you posted about their record under Ward once he took over the team. That’s the problem with small sample sizes, things even out.

Some better goaltending would certainly help though, no argument there.

You say they are an 111 point team with average goaltending. What is their average goals for in those games you are using as a basis for that projection?
trashing their starting goalie is painting the Flames in a better light?

Vladar has played 19 games
Markstrom 33

Its hardly a small sample size, Christ they might be even if things continue

If the Flames get average or better goaltending they will make the playoffs...if they don't they probably won't.

It boggles the mind that people don't realize how much goaltending matters to winning and losing in the NHL, coaches joke they should change the name from Hockey to Goaltending.

Markstom has absolutely blown 4-5 games that would have been wins with AVERAGE goaltending not even good goaltending...its not like I am saying "he could have stolen 4 more" he legit gave them away

Last edited by dino7c; 01-31-2023 at 02:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 06:15 AM   #336
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel if Markstrom was playing to the level he was last season the Flames would be challenging for first place in the division. It's really hard to win consistently with bottom 25 goaltending. It's why they haven't been able to put together anything more than a 3 game winning streak this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:18 AM   #337
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I feel if Markstrom was playing to the level he was last season the Flames would be challenging for first place in the division. It's really hard to win consistently with bottom 25 goaltending. It's why they haven't been able to put together anything more than a 3 game winning streak this season.
Definitely. First place in the division isn’t out of reach even today, I think they’d probably 3-4 more wins with better goaltending and be right in the battle
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:40 AM   #338
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Can you do me a favour?

Please stop with the ‘you’ve got a goalie bias’ as a way to dismiss my point of view. It is weak.

If I have a position on goalies, it’s generally that they get too much credit for their success and their failure. I’ve said before, a team can contribute +/- 10 or so points to sv%, a goalie can contribute maybe +5 or 10, and obviously lower on the minus side if they are really stinking.

And to discuss that, I point to things that aren’t captured in the data. What are reasonable expectations from a goalie, in various situations.

You know full well that the models don’t capture the things I mentioned.

It’s a cop out to say ‘well, to have the opinion that the Flames make more egregious costly mistakes than other teams, you have to watch every game of every team’. Technically, perhaps, but for practical purposes, I watch enough hockey that I am comfortable commenting.

I have seen the Flames lose many games due to bad goals on terrible coverage, and ill timed turnovers. This year, I have noticed massive poor decisions and brain farts that were not there last year.

There are two teams every time the Flames play. I watch all of the Flames games, so have those teams to compare, plus several of other teams. No, you can’t watch every game, but it’s a cop out to say ‘well, every team makes the same amount of mistakes’.

Go ahead and show me the fundamental mistakes by Chicago that resulted in high quality Flames chances. The two I mentioned were basic mistakes that pro players shouldn’t make, and gifted that game to a bad team.

There are several games where the Flames have out shot, but lost because they out-mistaked their opponent (yeah that’s a word now)

The goalies have had their stinkers, but the team D has left them hung out to dry more often than the good teams do to their goalies.

And again, these models and the capturing of the egregious mistakes I’m talking about are fully 100% independent.

It is not meaningful to point to the model, and say anything about the likelihood of teams busting outside them. Because I’m talking about something that the model doesn’t actually claim to measure

Just because it’s not measured does not mean it is not happening.

The Flames are exactly where they are in the standings because of costly mistakes. The models may show them being ‘better’ than they actually are. But they are right where they belong. Below expectations
Why would I stop? It's been pretty consistent. You come at things the same way over and over again.

We don't have to call it a bias though if you don't want.

I'm happy to say it's possible that the models themselves are easier on teams than goaltenders, or that goalie models (gsaa) are tough on all goaltenders.

But I won't make the leap that the Flames specifically have found a way to give up more high danger that isn't registered than other teams. That's a huge leap in my mind, and it's completely unfounded.

I don't blame you for not wanting to watch every game to prove it though!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:41 AM   #339
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
One of their goalies is on a 77 point pace
One is on a 111 point pace

Seems pretty easy to determine one goalie has basically cost them the season should they not make it. That goalie is also my favorite player but the stats are what they are
Not sure a goalie win% is the best way to measure any of goaltending or team defence.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:42 AM   #340
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Exactly.

And the numbers support that.