Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #61
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Weren't a lot of people complaining about this move? I know it's early but he's been our best player so far.
Yeah, don't get too high on Smith yet. That was the book on him in Arizona. He would be incredibly good, like all star good, then be incredibly bad, like Jonas Hiller bad. He's showing the former, but anyone who watched him in Arizona that the latter lurks in shadows and can rear its ugly head at any time, and for an extended time. Hopefully behind this blueline that won't happen.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #62
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith will have bad games and even terrible games because all goalies have them. (Well maybe Price doesn't have terrible games.) It's just a question of which is more common, the good or the bad.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Weren't a lot of people complaining about this move? I know it's early but he's been our best player so far.
I wasn't in love with it because of his age, low career SV%, and the unknowns of players coming from really bad teams. Pleasantly surprised so far as he looks big in the net, has done an outstanding job of taking the bottom of the net away, and hasn't let in one of those deflating soft goals that have dogged this team for years now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #64
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Smith will have bad games and even terrible games because all goalies have them. (Well maybe Price doesn't have terrible games.) It's just a question of which is more common, the good or the bad.
Exactly this.

And yes, Price doesn't exactly have "bad" games, but he does have his below average games and the Habs get blown out because they can't overcome a below average goaltending performance.

I want people to remember how good he's been to start the year when he inevitably has a poor game. Please don't blow it out of proportion if he struggles for a couple games. Don't get too high, and don't get too low.

He broke the curse in Anaheim with a stellar shutout performance. He gets a little extra leash now simply because of that.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #65
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the confidence he seems to give the team in front of him. The players look like they feel comfortable with him in net, including the way he comes out and plays the puck.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #66
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

957 save percentage, just wow. He's been the Flames' best player for the first three games to start the season.

The team is playing far more confidently. I feel like the defence has a little work to do still to tighten up and limit the high danger chances, but I'm confident with time, it'll come.

I'm not sure if it's Smith or Hamonic who has had this effect on Brodie, but he looks like the Brodie of old and it's amazing. Brimming with confidence. If the pass isn't there, he doesn't force it. He'll do a loop and go for a skate to create space, which is extremely hard to do, yet he does it with ease.

There are some real positive changes to this club, and I think it starts with Mr Smith between the pipes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #67
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's been very reliable, but allowing over 40 shots in 2/3 can be a little concerning. I hope we can decrease those a little to make Smith's night a little easier.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #68
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved his interview. "I have one job to do, be solid behind this group"

There's nothing more dangerous than a man with a single objective. He seems mentally dialed in to give this team what it needs. Nothing more, nothing less.

You could tell that too in the first three games as well. Game o e he pops right back up after taking a rocket to the head that onocks his mask off, made absolutely nothing of it.

Last night he has the Ducks trying to harrass him and he doesn't bite on any day f it. Just calm hooks Perry back over to.him and says something and then casually moves on.

This is our goalie. I called Smith pretty much the day after the Flames we're bounced in Anaheim. So happy he's here.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #69
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
He's been very reliable, but allowing over 40 shots in 2/3 can be a little concerning. I hope we can decrease those a little to make Smith's night a little easier.
Thing is, I think he's a high volume goalie. More shots the better.
But as he said, if he faces 50 shots or 20, his job is the same.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
When I first heard we traded him I was stoked! But then I came here and everyone was like he is too old and isn't as good anymore. This was what I thought we were getting at first, totally love it.
Actually if you look at the thread about who we should bring in as our goalie some of us were advocating for him before he was even acquired so not everyone was against it.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ghlight=goalie
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ghlight=goalie

Pretty interesting to see the thoughts before we made a choice.

Last edited by dissentowner; 10-10-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: there are two threads
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #71
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yeah, don't get too high on Smith yet. That was the book on him in Arizona. He would be incredibly good, like all star good, then be incredibly bad, like Jonas Hiller bad. He's showing the former, but anyone who watched him in Arizona that the latter lurks in shadows and can rear its ugly head at any time, and for an extended time. Hopefully behind this blueline that won't happen.
When you play behind a team with zero apsirations and zero fight you can lose your focus and stop give a ####. He seem to be fully focused and thriving playing for a team that can win games. It's early but he looks far more confident than any Flames goalie since 34
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #72
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Exactly this.

And yes, Price doesn't exactly have "bad" games, but he does have his below average games and the Habs get blown out because they can't overcome a below average goaltending performance.

I want people to remember how good he's been to start the year when he inevitably has a poor game. Please don't blow it out of proportion if he struggles for a couple games. Don't get too high, and don't get too low.

He broke the curse in Anaheim with a stellar shutout performance. He gets a little extra leash now simply because of that.
I resent your implication that I'm not allowed to melt down over goaltending and marginal 4th line players. That's the foundation CP is built on!

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I would be more concerned if this is the case come December. It's hard to draw any conclusions or get overly worried about stats this early into the season. As of now he's 2-1 which includes a victory in a building they had lost their previous 25 games. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from Smith and the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #74
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Thing is, I think he's a high volume goalie. More shots the better.
But as he said, if he faces 50 shots or 20, his job is the same.
I don't think he's been facing the most challenging of shots for the most part despite the numbers. Last night was a bit of a shelling, and he did stand up to it though.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #75
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The biggest difference I've noticed compared to previous goalies is he doesn't get rattled by a bad goal. The 3rd goal in the Winnipeg game he completely lost track of the puck, but he bounced back and played a great 2nd period before the offense took over. Elliott, Johnson, Hiller, and Ramo all had some great games, but when they gave up a bad goal you could tell they were going to struggle the rest of the game.

We all knew coming in that he'd have some 40+ save nights where he's just unbeatable, and he's definitely going to have some games where he drops the ball and gets pulled. But the middle 60% of his games - being able to make a big stop in a 5-5 game where he hasn't played well is where I think we'll see the real difference.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #76
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have started against three pretty good offensive teams (I know I know) and have played two of three on the road. The average shots against will come way down
Old 10-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #77
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks had a ton of shots on the PP too...with multiple 2 man advantages

5 on 3 and 6 on 4
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #78
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

4:40, 5:20 are the worst

Hard to be not second guessing as a defenseman when those types of goals get scored on a frequent basis. Flames cleared the next pretty well, as long as Mike Smith stopped the initial shot, they were in great shape. Mike Smith is an elite goalie, that was stuck on a bad team for so long. Elliott was a bad goalie on a solid team.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #79
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Hard to be not second guessing as a defenseman when those types of goals get scored on a frequent basis. Flames cleared the next pretty well, as long as Mike Smith stopped the initial shot, they were in great shape. Mike Smith is an elite goalie, that was stuck on a bad team for so long. Elliott was a bad goalie on a solid team.
I disagree with the drastic dichotomy that Smith is elite and Elliott is bad.

However, I recognize that Smith is an improvement over Elliott.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #80
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the cool things I'm noticing now with Mike Smith is when the puck goes to him, the D now spread apart away from him so he has a few outlets to choose from. Before the D would be coming in closer to the net and to the goalie.