Exp:

pretty sure it was a joke
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #143
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was a critic and not happy when Ryan was signed, due to what i saw was over usage from Bill Peters in Carolina. However, I will gladly eat crow on my sentiments. Even at 3m a year, I do not think it is that bad. Any player who can score 35pts, play up and down the roster, win draws and be one of the better defensive forwards can play on my team. Not only that, but he does it with such a good attitude, the ultimate team player.

However, as he ages, I do not think he should be in the Flames future. But for now, he can still bring something to this team.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #144
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

1) The Transition - Will the Flames return to being a quicker-transitioning team? Can Ward implement a system that allows them to transition quickly while still playing solid defence? Again, I liked Hartley's transition game and how the forwards would come back hard, but I hated the collapsing defence. Peters seemed to have a fairly good transition game for a while, but still with a bit too passive of a defensive system. Ward has really slowed down the transition (which is maddening to me).

4) Ward's learning curve - I don't want to be negative on Ward. I am trying to be optimistic here. This will be his first full season as an NHL head coach. I am curious to see how he does, and what he has learned from last season. Will we see more in-game tweaks and adjustments? I really felt that with Peters in the Colorado series, he just wasn't able to make any adjustments or get that team to 'settle down'. I hope Ward provides both the strategy (systems, adjustments) as well as the leadership (I have always felt that coaches provide the most leadership, and serve as the team's resident shrink). Hopefully he has figured out how he wants this team to play given the changes and relative strengths and weaknesses, and is up for the challenge.

Ward mentioned in an interview in late November that he wanted a quicker transition and quick-strike offense:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...arys-gameplan/

Quote:
“We’re not going to be a straight defensive team — when we have the puck, we want to transition quickly to the offensive side and try to score,” said Ward.

“We believe if we do that well, it will allow us to carry the puck more. We want to do an awful lot of things early with our line rush and encourage our defencemen to get going more on the rush and offensively in transition. We’re going to work on our quickness through the neutral zone and what we want to do offensively. We’re still going to review what we do defensively, but now we want to build the offensive foundation on top of it so when we get the puck we can be more dangerous and more quick-strike.”

Hopefully he can get the buy-in that he's looking for.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #145
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Ward mentioned in an interview in late November that he wanted a quicker transition and quick-strike offense:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...arys-gameplan/

Hopefully he can get the buy-in that he's looking for.
I think it is a lot easier to sell offensive systems to players than defensive ones. I think everyone will at least buy in on a paper. Except for maybe Markstrom and Rittich... lol.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #146
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Ward is describing kind of sounds like Shangri La. All the focus on defense but quick transition to offense.

If you think about in terms of actual changes in approach, it might imply less focus on possession and more on scoring off the rush etc.

We shall see. That is more Hartley than Peters type of approach.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote